Corner loading, huh? I forget...

J

jibbs

I don't care where the pkgs are as long as all of mine are in my truck and none are anyone elses.

Having drivers like this actually made me push to do a better job of loading in sequence. They didn't give me any smile* during peak when their trucks looked terrible and they seemed like good people in general. In turn, I've made it a point to do everything I reasonably can while I'm on the clock to make it so they don't come in to 30min extra work of sorting a mess I make before they leave in the morning.

The drivers that are dicks, though? I have to admit, sometimes their trucks get a little neglected.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I start out with small boxes against the wall and block those in with a bigger / heavier box. I lip load everything. I also write the pal # on the outside of almost every box, including the ones that are up against the wall. I put bigger boxes on the floor and try to put the labels up. Even with the label up, I still write the pal # on the box, big enough where he / she can see it from the door. I try to put the boxes on the floor in seq order too. I have 1 stop that gets 20 to 30 boxes of bullets, weighing 20+ lbs, with a pal # in the 2000 sec. I load it just infront of the RDL stuff. I have 3 totes in the 1000 sec and all my air is in those totes or on the floor. I do whatever it takes to make it easier for my drivers. Maybe thats why my cars are popular right now with routes being up for bid. Ive run the routes I load and see how much easier it is for the driver during the day. Ive run routes where stuff is not labeled, wrong section or just thrown on floor. Manaement doesnt care, as long as its in the trucks and the belt doesnt go off. If they did care, they wouldnt make guys load 4 cars and slam it out the way they do at our center.

laffter

I did not read this entire thread, but I have a few things to say based on the first few posts.

I have never loaded, nor seen any truck where every package could be fit onto the shelves. Now, I actually do load a route where if you disregard FL1, FL2, FL3, RDL, RDR, on light days, all other packages can fit onto the shelves, with constant re-adjustments throughout the loading period. Like today, for instance. But, every package? Management would cut a route that could fit all of it's pieces onto the shelves, unless it contained 200 envelopes, one per stop.

As far as the whole loading packages behind packages goes, how can you NOT do that? Tues-Fri I load a resi route as my third truck. There is absolutely no way to load everything into that truck if you don't load behind and on top of other packages. So, I'm not entirely sure why that sounds like a new concept.

Pushing the bulk up to the front? Isn't that for the driver to decide and instruct his loader on? If the driver unloads a rear bulk stop at a dock that he backs up to, pushing that stop up to the front would be counterproductive.

I have to sort of agree that based on what I read in the first page of this thread, I don't see anything new or unusual going on there. If I have a huge gap between the end of the 2000's and somewhere in the 6000's, I'll push that crap together if I have time.

If management is pushing something that you are not used to, "work as directed", but at the same time, adjust their direction into something that actually works in reality.

EDIT: "lip loading" is standard too. But, I remember last year I helped on another belt after I was done, and the driver showed up and un-liploaded everything. He said it was a rural route and the packages will end up on the floor if they're lip loaded. Not really sure how that works... but again, it's for the driver to decide.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I start out with small boxes against the wall and block those in with a bigger / heavier box. I lip load everything. I also write the pal # on the outside of almost every box, including the ones that are up against the wall. I put bigger boxes on the floor and try to put the labels up. Even with the label up, I still write the pal # on the box, big enough where he / she can see it from the door. I try to put the boxes on the floor in seq order too. I have 1 stop that gets 20 to 30 boxes of bullets, weighing 20+ lbs, with a pal # in the 2000 sec. I load it just infront of the RDL stuff. I have 3 totes in the 1000 sec and all my air is in those totes or on the floor. I do whatever it takes to make it easier for my drivers. Maybe thats why my cars are popular right now with routes being up for bid. Ive run the routes I load and see how much easier it is for the driver during the day. Ive run routes where stuff is not labeled, wrong section or just thrown on floor. Manaement doesnt care, as long as its in the trucks and the belt doesnt go off. If they did care, they wouldnt make guys load 4 cars and slam it out the way they do at our center.

So your the loader I spend 5 minutes at a stop looking for that cd you slipped BEHIND everything else. Ugh

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Huh? Big gaps? Between sections?

I've never seen any of those at the end of the shift... In my experience, drivers are lucky if they can fit a hand between two packages when they leave the center in the morning-- and that's with the entire floor filled with F1-F4 and rear door packages. I would love to see some gaps, man...

This is very true. I loaded a resi route today, which often gets 230-260 each day. Yet, today it was way over 330 packages. I was going to see if anyone caught of what this topic couldve been. And that is, if we move everything up as far as possible, and theres space on the floor and shelves, wont management declare this driver needs more work?

The push up of the packages is a save on time, " they " claim. Isnt a save of time push a button to push another button to bring on more work?

I dont see it really, I see a huge mess a driver is going to shuffling and scrambling for another 5 plus minutes trying to find one or two pieces. As a preloader, I see the delievery path through the numbers. That resi route I loaded, must've had over 250 stops on it, on a non peak day. Of course its a Friday, yet it was still an extreme amount. That car had blown out shelves, floor space and down the middle. I wish luck to that driver today, to try and not come back at 10:30 at night.

Brownslave688

EDIT: "lip loading" is standard too. But, I remember last year I helped on another belt after I was done, and the driver showed up and un-liploaded everything. He said it was a rural route and the packages will end up on the floor if they're lip loaded. Not really sure how that works... but again, it's for the driver to decide.

Depends if your management team trained you. I had a friend start a few years back. He had a driver tell him after like 3 weeks your doing great but can you at least attempt to lip load the stuff.

While being trained he had never been told anything about lip loading. By trained I mean walked into the truck and told this is your 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8k. Sections fl1,2,3,4 and RDR RDC RDL. Have at it good luck. That was being trained.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
So your the loader I spend 5 minutes at a stop looking for that cd you slipped BEHIND everything else. Ugh

This is what I mean in a big way. Having to spend more time to " look " for the package instead of taking 5-10-20+ stops forword that are already set up for in sequence would make a save on time. If a driver is walking all the way in the back for one stop, that needs to be addressed, we are preload and the driver dictates the the conditioning of that load. If the load is in correct order, it will fall well.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Would you walk the picket line ORLY!?!?

I wouldnt, rather to spend the day at home and get some work done. I would enjoy watching the local news coverage of the event here with a ice cold beer in hand, hoping to see someone I know walking it, and saying to that person " hey, I saw you on T.V. so and so day ago.

Btw, the method is called " Corner Stone Loading ". I kindve got on my fulltime about this, claiming that the agreeable contract from the union has nothing in it for " corner stoning packages. ".

And to those that " think " this is flavor of the week/ month, I got news for you. The people from Atlanta have been here for the month, they walk the boxline on and off. One of the top brass walked by on Wensday. There will be more walk-by-fruitings ( as I call them )in the near future. Its only a matter of time until this comes to your building, and the shell game of packages within your car will being. This will lead to " them " saying " well that corner stone loading method was supposed to SAVE you time " and may the write ups insue in massive numbers.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Because that is what we DO at UPS.....!

As I've said before, UPS managements only seemable job is to create problems for you, others and themselves. They create the problem everyday, it causes us to work harder to cure / fix that problem. UPS management are always full of the most highly sought after uncapable walks of life I have ever seen.

Brownslave688

Would you walk the picket line ORLY!?!?

I wouldnt, rather to spend the day at home and get some work done. I would enjoy watching the local news coverage of the event here with a ice cold beer in hand, hoping to see someone I know walking it, and saying to that person " hey, I saw you on T.V. so and so day ago.

Btw, the method is called " Corner Stone Loading ". I kindve got on my fulltime about this, claiming that the agreeable contract from the union has nothing in it for " corner stoning packages. ".

And to those that " think " this is flavor of the week/ month, I got news for you. The people from Atlanta have been here for the month, they walk the boxline on and off. One of the top brass walked by on Wensday. There will be more walk-by-fruitings ( as I call them )in the near future. Its only a matter of time until this comes to your building, and the shell game of packages within your car will being. This will lead to " them " saying " well that corner stone loading method was supposed to SAVE you time " and may the write ups insue in massive numbers.

We call it brick loading. Usually reserved for peak season.

It's a huge pain in the ass for drivers. For the first 3-4 hours you fight the load until you finally say screw it and take 30 minutes (minimum) and set the load up right.

Brownslave688

Because that is what we DO at UPS.....!

As I've said before, UPS managements only seemable job is to create problems for you, others and themselves. They create the problem everyday, it causes us to work harder to cure / fix that problem. UPS management are always full of the most highly sought after uncapable walks of life I have ever seen.

I know it's a big company but if this place was actually ran smooth with smart dispatch and no flavor of the months nation wide this company could make 2 billion a quarter.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Depends if your management team trained you. I had a friend start a few years back. He had a driver tell him after like 3 weeks your doing great but can you at least attempt to lip load the stuff.

While being trained he had never been told anything about lip loading. By trained I mean walked into the truck and told this is your 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8k. Sections fl1,2,3,4 and RDR RDC RDL. Have at it good luck. That was being trained.

Of course, my traning was about the same as that. Just take the package into the correct car and load it on the right shelf. There was no attempt to tell me to keep it in order or keep bulk stops together or save room on the 1000 shelf for the air. They will train a new preloader in about 10% of the ways of loading, nothing more. Theres so much more to the job, that most good / great ones are strickly self taught. It took me about 2 months to fully catch on to the correct ways to load. Some never get it, and a very few will be great at it quickly.

Pushing packages to the back only cause problems for me. Lip locking packes with other packages behind them may cause them to fall off the shelves, thusly more time wasted. I've been doing the same 5 cars on and off for the past five years, and they are telling me my experince isnt good enough, I need to learn more about making a huge mess within car. And again, here we see UPS management causing more problems.

As I see it, in time when this fails and burns down in a huge tire fire, they will surly blame you and I for causing it.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I know it's a big company but if this place was actually ran smooth with smart dispatch and no flavor of the months nation wide this company could make 2 billion a quarter.

I agree, that and a huge cut / fire amongst their higher management and lower management, whos gonna miss them anyways?

Brownslave688

I agree, that and a huge cut / fire amongst their higher management and lower management, whos gonna miss them anyways?

As far as management your next big cuts will be OMS and dispatchers. I see both these spots being filled from a remote location and eventually I see dispatch being completely done by a computer system.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
As far as management your next big cuts will be OMS and dispatchers. I see both these spots being filled from a remote location and eventually I see dispatch being completely done by a computer system.

As I see it, 50 to 65% of management jobs out there in UPS, as a collective whole, have nothing to do with the processing and handling service of the job. They need to go in a big way, since most of them probably make 40,000k or over a year. I would even cut HR and assistant jobs, no more assistants of assistants.

You want to make big bucks UPS? Cut the non productive side!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think I prefer to have shelf 1-4 as perfect as possible but 5-8 can be close. I'd prefer to have nothing on the floor except bulk and overweights. or long packages. I've had the worse time though with loaders not able to keep same stop packages together. I always have 3 for 5126 (ex.) on the shelf but the 4th is on the floor. Infinitely nicer if they're together...whether it's on the shelf or the floor. But I've learned that if you can't find a package for a stop it's better to keep moving and go back later if you have to.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
We call it brick loading. Usually reserved for peak season.

It's a huge pain in the ass for drivers. For the first 3-4 hours you fight the load until you finally say screw it and take 30 minutes (minimum) and set the load up right.

Oh yea, its hell on the drivers to reset a huge mass of crap to a workable load, and time. Were talking peak like loads everyday of the week here. A brick load everyday a week, where you send half an hour just to get a few dozen stops out and gone. Imagen, have that huge load of brick style load falling to the floor. Imagen the amount of time it will take to pick up, sort and perhaps calling for help each and every day.

Fun times ahead kids! Stick around will yea!

I love going to work, always a free show each and every night!