Corp gives in to turkeys and awards

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with Sober that we should not think of turkeys or safe driving awards as entitlements. I also suggest that if the awards are reinstated that they be limited to milestone years, starting at year 5 and every 5 years thereafter. I further suggest that rather than give out turkeys that UPS give a monetary donation to the charity of choice of the local center.

UPSSOCKS

This had nothing to do with 2727.... But Congrats your union dues earned you a turkey and some safety awards... Atleast you got something for your dues this year....

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
UPS doesnt even have a consistent, rational coherent definition of what constitutes an "accident" in the first place. And as long as they continue trying to crowd an excessive number of routes into facilities that are grossly overcrowded, sh$t will happen to the equipment. Thats what brown paint is for.

They have a definition. If a vehicle causes property damage, including mirrors, grass, scratches, dent, dings, and glass, it's an accident by definition. From what I see, accidents as defined, are not enforced in most cases, but there is a clear definition.

thessalonian13

thanks to local2727, the company will be reinstating all turkey, years of service and safety awards to all union members throughout the company around the country. This benefit was taken from every union member while mip was flowing freely, now the company has to reward us with a little token of appreciation. I do hope everyone will donate their turkey to their local food bank. The mediator has told both ups and local2727 to return to the table oct 25 to resume talks. Ups takes away from the little people, but unions fight for us. Local 2727 has been without a contract since 2006 and it is time for us to receive a fair contract that rewards us for our dedicated service.
they can have their turkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overpaid Union Thug

With all the ways the company is looking to save money I could care less if they never gave us turkeys again. Its much better than getting laid of or work 10.5 hours 5 days a week. I'm not entitlement minded enough to demand a turkey.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They have a definition. If a vehicle causes property damage, including mirrors, grass, scratches, dent, dings, and glass, it's an accident by definition. From what I see, accidents as defined, are not enforced in most cases, but there is a clear definition.

If that were truly the case then every driver, shifter and carwasher employed by UPS would have been charged with multiple accidents and fired long ago.

You cant force 185 package cars into a facility designed for 124 and expect them not to rub together or get scratched. You cant provide delivery service to rural addresses with narrow, tree-lined driveways without accepting the fact that mirrors will get cracked and paint will get scratched.

As is so often the case at UPS, what seems perfectly logical from behind a desk doesnt always work out in the real world.

MobileBA

A wise "circle of honor" feeder driver once told me that UPS's very definition of an accident really created the "circle of liars." If I remember correctly UPS deems an accident as a UPS vehicle making unwarranted contact with anything regardless of damage. Anyways, turkey makes me sleepy.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
If that were truly the case then every driver, shifter and carwasher employed by UPS would have been charged with multiple accidents and fired long ago.

You cant force 185 package cars into a facility designed for 124 and expect them not to rub together or get scratched. You cant provide delivery service to rural addresses with narrow, tree-lined driveways without accepting the fact that mirrors will get cracked and paint will get scratched.

As is so often the case at UPS, what seems perfectly logical from behind a desk doesnt always work out in the real world.

Seems like a logical definition to me. In the real world if you cause damage to someone else's property it's an accident. I agree that they need a better criteria for charging someone with an accident. One person gets charged for breaking a mirror and another one puts a 2 foot hole in the hood and it's overlooked.

Mr Fedex

Banned
Seems like a logical definition to me. In the real world if you cause damage to someone else's property it's an accident. I agree that they need a better criteria for charging someone with an accident. One person gets charged for breaking a mirror and another one puts a 2 foot hole in the hood and it's overlooked.
Well said.I agree.

deleted9

Bring back the wallets every odd year so we have something to put all this money in from winning our 9.5 grievences. One of our guys has recieved over $3000.00 to date and the meter is running.

Doesn"t want to work but takes the money......... i would almost have to guess that if ups put that person on 8 hrs every day, that person would be crying about how the big bad company is hurting his family financially.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Doesn"t want to work but takes the money......... i would almost have to guess that if ups put that person on 8 hrs every day, that person would be crying about how the big bad company is hurting his family financially.

The company has all this great dispatching technology. Give the guy a 9.49 everyday and all are happy. Then again, that would take effort by mgmnt.