Corp Marketing Layoffs

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
and you don't think I am a good sales rep? good. I am a Senior Account Executive. you = driver.

You don't sound like a senior account executive, you sound more like an entry level sales beeyatch. Yes you do talk (post) like drivers are way,wayyyyy beneath you. But you got one part right, you do recognize us as drivers and not driver/sales.

My guess that in those sales meetings you use "drivers not tendering leads" as a long drawn out tired excuse for you not reaching your minimum sales goals. Its been known that they will get rid of an under-performing, under-achieving sales exec before they get rid of a seasoned driver.

SouthCal

The more and more I read Soupy Sales' posts, the more and more he reminds me of my centers BD/Sales Rep. As condescending as the day is long, expecting the drivers to drum up sales leads (and yes, they are our front line and put a face and a personality to the trucks and uniforms), promising customers whose accounts had been suspended and paid that very afternoon that the driver will go by and pick them up right away and calls me in the office and then whines to my Center Manager when I tell him I can't do it because it's 5pm and the driver is already on his way in to the meet point with his air pick ups. Oh and let's not forget this urgent customer has air. Seriously? Why do you do this? This is only more frustrating for you, me and the customer. I want to get along with you guys. I truly do. Don't make my job any harder than it already is. I want nothing more than to make your job a cakewalk. But don't come to me at 5 in the afternoon and tell me you settled the account and they need picked up. Bite me. It's not going to happen. And then don't call WHINE at my manager because you don't like me, a lowly Dispatch OMS, telling you something's not going to happen. Just don't tell me at 5pm. I can make it happen at 3. Four is pushing it. Five is just too late.

What you guys up in BD/Sales don't realise is that the drivers have a route to run that includes, but isn't limited to, keeping up with SADR accounts and making sure they're delivered on time, the elite pick up accounts and making sure they're picked up on time. Delivering anywhere from 180-400 pieces, an increased delivery stop count that currently isn't any lighter than 158 stops per car, per day averaged and more frequently reaching over 200 stops on a route that typically only goes out with say 140, never mind a route that never stays the same two days in a row. If it does, they're a lucky one. Most of my drivers routes don't stay the same from one day to the next. It's difficult to keep a smile on your face when most of the time, you don't even know what's in your truck. Take the time out to suit up in browns and spend a week on car with a driver. Go out on a freight route that has 35-50 pick ups. Go spend a day out on the Satellite routes. How about a Resi route or two. Sit in the car with a driver for a week. It may look easy on paper and with a bunch of numbers jumping out at you, but I guarantee you, it's not as easy as it looks. All kinds of fun factors to figure in. You just have to know where to plug in the numbers and the factors and even then you may not have the clearer picture.

Please enlighten me, how am I supposed to convince my drivers to give up service for a scrap of paper that is likely going to sit on your desk until the potential daily pick up account gets frustrated and gives up? We can find other ways to create new business, but let's focus on keeping what we do have and trying to better what we have now.

705red

Browncafe Steward
when will the drivers make a concession?

Why would you start this fight in this thread? This thread is about people losing their jobs and the way it was handled! You didnt see one union employee bad mouth the marketing department, or hang the person that created mullet boy. Thats because we have class! We do not want to see people lose their jobs, we have been watching our friends that we work with get laid off since early last year. So dont say that the drivers or other union employees have not been dealing with this issue. One can only pray that you are the next to get cut, it would probably help the sales lead program when you get axed!

upssalesguy;685888 my job isnt to get sales leads said:
Here is the contract that says what our duties are, maybe you would like to point out where it says its our job to produce leads.

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]ARTICLE 47.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[FONT=Calibri,Bold]DUTIES[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Bold](a) Duties of Parcel Drivers:[/FONT]
[/FONT]Parcel driver's regular duties may include sorting and loading the packages assigned to their routes. Records of such deliveries [FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]shall [/FONT][/FONT]be made by the parcel drivers on their routes, if not previously recorded / sheeted.

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold](b) Full-Time Combination Jobs:[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[/FONT]The Employer [FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]shall [/FONT][/FONT]determine the classifications to be used when creating new full-time jobs as outlined in Article 22. All new full

time jobs shall contain a job description of duties and qualifications that will be required to successfully qualify for the job.
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold](c) General Utility Employees:[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[/FONT]Employees who put up additions to bins, perform minor repairs and act as handymen.
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold](d) Washers and Porters:[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[/FONT]UPS / 705 Contract Negotiations 2008
PAGE 83 OF 92 Last Updated 08-06-08
Washers, who wash vehicles and check gas and oil, and porters who keep the premises, inside and out, clean and neat and store records.
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold](e) Feeder Drivers:[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[/FONT]Feeder drivers shall load and unload as directed regardless of domicile. Feeder drivers may be required to sort during those hours
when the regular sorting crews are off and in those locations that do not have sorters assigned.
[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold](friend) TDP Drivers[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[/FONT]All TDP/Package combination areas or any vacated TDP/Package combination areas shall be bid to all full time qualified package
drivers in that building. TDP/Package combination employees will work in the package driver classification. Drivers who successfully
bid a TDP/Package combination in such facilities shall be afforded the right to attend Tractor / Trailer school, if needed, and shall have

a forty (40) working day qualification period. However, they shall not be placed on the feeder qualified list.

UPS Lifer

No drivers or aircraft mechanics are willing to make a concession as long as 4th quarter results show the dough rolling in. I aint paying for health care and no driver will pay in 2013. We have contracts and if UPS dont want a service disruption they will provide health care for front line employees. I hate to see Corp marketing layoffs and I hate to see 300 pilots run off the property but every work group has layoffs and soon everyone union member will be back at work. We need a person to run UPS as in "growing the business" not selling it off. As long as a package person is not at the top I think UPS cannot be run like a tight ship. Oh did I mention no union members will be making concessions?

This economy is going to be sluggish for a long time - Those who are not willing to make concessions will strike themselves right out of a job. Look at GM for your guide. You need to understand the big picture. A successful business needs to not only make a profit but they need to re-invest back into the company to keep it around. This has been a formula that has worked in the past for UPS - The proof is in the last 100+ years of service. If your company is gone do you really think you are going to have retirement benefits. You will be out on the street .... don't count on seniority because whole buildings will shut down and where will you be then?

tieguy

Banned
I have a very close contact in the corporate office who called me today. The person could not talk long so I don't have any more info than what I am posting below.

They were walking people out today and the former employee was told they could take their purse or lunch sack and everything else will be sent to them. I imagine it is not a fun place to be right now!

Thats pretty tacky if true.

tieguy

Banned
No drivers or aircraft mechanics are willing to make a concession as long as 4th quarter results show the dough rolling in. I aint paying for health care and no driver will pay in 2013. We have contracts and if UPS dont want a service disruption they will provide health care for front line employees. I hate to see Corp marketing layoffs and I hate to see 300 pilots run off the property but every work group has layoffs and soon everyone union member will be back at work. We need a person to run UPS as in "growing the business" not selling it off. As long as a package person is not at the top I think UPS cannot be run like a tight ship. Oh did I mention no union members will be making concessions?

Its always interesting reading these types of responses. At one point the concessions would not have come until ups cut management at the top. Now that the cuts have come the if would be losing money. Meanwhile those who do not understand the finance of this billion dollar global company do not realize that the profits UPS makes is really just pennies on the dollar. In relative terms related to the size of this company we are actually very close to being unprofitable.
At the same time I think you discredit the discussion by saying no concessions unless......
Lets be honest here. I've read your many posts here. I've read the many posts of those who work in the airline industry the pilots and mechanics. You folks are in my opion the most pampered and catered to prima donnas I have ever seen in this company. Most upsers come in and grind out a very hard living working for a very demanding company. You folks cry when the cavier is not baluga. You cry if the toilet paper is not made of silk. Please don't insult our intelligence by even suggesting that you folks would actually consider doing anything that would resemble an act of loyalty towards this company.

UPS Lifer

For those who have not worked in the airline, the most visible comparison is package vs. feeder. The airline takes it up a notch. Most of you are not even aware that the pilots have their own lounge at the gateways with reclining lounge chairs in a quiet room. They also get their meals catered. Those of you who work in feeder (or around feeder) understand how important safety is. Now take it up a MAJOR notch and you will understand that safety and following processes 100% by the book is what the airline is all about. No mistakes are tolerated without a full investigation and possible grounding of a pilot or aircraft.... and our mechanics come under the same scrutiny. It is not uncommon for an FAA visit a couple of times a month. They are under the full scrutiny of internal assessments which go all the way to top management.

With that being said.... the prima donna attitude should not be tolerated if for no other reason than assuring a safe work environment. I had nothing but high praise for the folks who worked at ONT. They were professional and you could trust them with your life. They deserved every perk they got.

FAVREFAN

Thats pretty tacky if true.
I'm a union member and I think it's more than tacky. It's wrong. It's not good business. These people should have had warning or a very large severence package. Walking people out like criminals? Shipping them their personal effects? IF this is true, I'm beginning to become ashamed of the way things are starting to go at UPS. I feel terrible for these men and women going home to face their families after a disgusting, mishandled situation like that. I hope it's not true. I wish them all the best. Regardless of being union or management, we are all UPSers. They deserved better, much much better.

Last edited:

worldwide

I'm a union member and I think it's more than tacky. It's wrong. It's not good business. These people should have had warning or a very large severence package. Walking people out like criminals? Shipping them their personal effects? IF this is true, I'm beginning to become ashamed of the way things are starting to go at UPS. I feel terrible for these men and women going home to face their families after a disgusting, mishandled situation like that. I hope it's not true. I wish them all the best. Regardless of being union or management, we are all UPSers. They deserved better, much much better.

What if these people had been warned before about poor performance? What if many were on 30-60-90? I don't know if any of that is true or not but there may have been a good reason they were let go. Do you think if they were all top-notch people and outstanding performers, UPS would have just let them go? The only ones who know for sure are the people let go and their managers and I doubt they are posting what really happened on this board.

randomUPSISer

FYI, this is nearly identical to the way the corporate I.S. layoffs were handled over the summer. Ive no inside info if its true in this case, but it was 100% true relative to Corporate I.S. I dont think its a stretch to expect the same from the same company.

airbusfxr

When the company loses money or needs help I will be the first to step up to "the plate". Until then WE all provide a valuable, safe, on time service commitment. UPS has asked us to receive a small raise, THEN give it back for health care. That is called a pay cut. In 2013 drivers will be asked to take a small raise, THEN give it back plus an hour or two pay to pay for health care. We are all out in the elements, we are all working in dangerous situations (we all have training though), and we all have internal and/or external customers that are receiving top notch service.

tieguy

Banned

you never know what is true and not true here. I hope its not the way we did things.

tieguy

Banned
When the company loses money or needs help I will be the first to step up to "the plate". Until then WE all provide a valuable, safe, on time service commitment. UPS has asked us to receive a small raise, THEN give it back for health care. That is called a pay cut. In 2013 drivers will be asked to take a small raise, THEN give it back plus an hour or two pay to pay for health care. We are all out in the elements, we are all working in dangerous situations (we all have training though), and we all have internal and/or external customers that are receiving top notch service.

there were times I grumbled about the extra paid towards health care out of my check until I actually used the health care and saw how much it cost.

hey1you

What if these people had been warned before about poor performance? What if many were on 30-60-90? I don't know if any of that is true or not but there may have been a good reason they were let go. Do you think if they were all top-notch people and outstanding performers, UPS would have just let them go? The only ones who know for sure are the people let go and their managers and I doubt they are posting what really happened on this board.

They were primarily let go based on their results from last year's Marketing Competency Assessment. Last year, based on recommendations from McKinsey consulting, everyone in marketing was ranked by their manager on several core areas of marketing skills. Yes, some of the people that got laid off were not good employees. But, many of them seem to have gotten low scores on that assessment because they were not liked by their manager or because they had recently been asked to move into Marketing. Some were even PROMOTED recently! Then, BOOM, sorry, you don't have the skills we need, we'll NDA you your stuff. Something don't smell right about this.

One observation was that there was a MUCH higher proportion of employees laid off that had minority / double-minority status, relative to the proportion of minority people at UPS. Many women and african-americans. Could some subconscious level of implicit racism/not liking people that are different, by their managers, have played a role? I hope not. :-(

PS I've heard from a senior manager at corp. that other corp. departments should expect cuts. Some rumor-based guesses: Shared Services, HR, Automotive, Sales Training.

This economy is going to be sluggish for a long time - Those who are not willing to make concessions will strike themselves right out of a job. Look at GM for your guide. You need to understand the big picture. A successful business needs to not only make a profit but they need to re-invest back into the company to keep it around. This has been a formula that has worked in the past for UPS - The proof is in the last 100+ years of service. If your company is gone do you really think you are going to have retirement benefits. You will be out on the street .... don't count on seniority because whole buildings will shut down and where will you be then?

The company should make a consession or two not just the employees. There are plenty of management people making over a million a year and there are hundreds pulling down 300K plus and not working too hard to get it.

Why did the company raise the dividend from 45 cents to 47 cents? The CEO said UPS is "sitting on too much cash". Over 3 billion in cash to be exact, and the 2 cents per share dividend????
Well there are approximately 992,800,000 outstanding shares, so a 2 cent increase means UPS spent another 19.8 million dollars on that decision. Over all cost for dividends over 466 million dollars....

The company can provide their own concessions and not destroy the culture that wokred for over 100 years by cutting dividends. Some may say that it will affect share prices, well from the time we went public until today the stock has been a horrible performer, so lets not kid ourselves.

I know some want the dividends to continue so people hold onto the stock, etc - my main point is that UPS can make some consessions and not by cutting pay, firing people without notice, exercising furloughs or raising medical contributions - but by retaining profit and not spending it on dividends.