Corporate Hypocrisy

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Conversion of customers to Smart Pickups was not suppose to be a responsibility of the Sales Force.
The targeted customers are so low volume it did not make any sense to involve Sales force. I would hope no Sales person would be visiting these customers.
This is for new customers signing up for accounts via UPS.com or CSCs or if the center wanted to suggest to the customer.
Existing customers in this volume range were to be targeted through UPS publications, letters, brochures and e-mails.

Or as usual will be dumped in the lap of the service provider who will have little, if no luck, conveying this to the whoever is responsible to make the changes.

pretzel_man

Pman

The knowing is fine. The problem is that you might very well be within 100% range with customer needs and wants, but 50% or less for the pencil pushers that have to justify their jobs. The post by SO is an indication of the element of micro-managing your way out of business.

Cost control is important, dont get me wrong, but at some point there is the fact of a diminishing ROI that needs to be factored in.

And also understand that I know it will take a leaner streamlined ups to fight the battles of the future. But sometimes I see UPS trying to strain a knat with cheese cloth. The outcome is not quite what was wanted or needed. And the people that plan these ventures poor more money into the problem to fix it, until the focus moves elsewhere. And then that money is in reality wasted.

d

Danny,

I am missing something here.... This is not a cost control measure. In fact its the opposite.

From my experience, after some level (about 80% - 85% in most centers), costs will increase trying to meet this measure. I would rather have the report than not have the report.

Pushing for numbers higher than needed just adds costs.

P-Man

AKCoverMan

OK but isn't it in UPSs best interest for SOMEBODY to go to these low volume customers and set up these kSmart Pickups. I can think of dozens of Daily Scheduled Pickups on the routes I cover where they rarely have volume or have light non day critical volume.. but to meet the metrics we have to break off and go check these accounts at a specific time every day. If we used these new pickup systems we could cut miles, and reduce overallowed. It's more of a benifit to us than it is the customer.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pushing for numbers higher than needed just adds costs.
Pman, that was my point. To push for number, instead of reality, is a farce. It does not add to the bottom line, it subtracts from it.

We have/are doing away with the daily stop that ships maybe one or two a week by ups. Instead of daily, they need to be enrolled in the new program, without doubt.

But to insist that the number are the goal, is the wrong pathway.

d

upsgrunt

What happens when we get to the point of "terminal cost savings"? That is the point where no more cuts can be made, no more efficiency can be squeezed out of employees, no more layoffs or separations can be afforded, and no more money can be saved. What will we do to impress the shareholders then? It seems, since the IPO, that every year there is a cost reduction initiative to impress the shareholders. What happens when we (UPS) have nothing left to impress them with?

It's time to quit worrying about the mule going blind, and just load the wagon.

Sorry- that's the best hick saying I could come up with.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
In this lies the problem in my estimation.
No way that the brainless driver can know the difference, right?
So instead of identifying the pickups that benefit from this measurement, we subject them all to this scrutiny.
Then to add insult to injury we will also include on area pickups to this report, even though by definition, they have no commit time.
Brilliant!
I know, it's not a perfect report...by design.

Thank You! You get it! It's wrong by design. I don't care if our leaders want to measure it, just be fair and measure it right.

Makes me wonder if the time study data is wrong by design too.

slantnosechevy

What happens when we get to the point of "terminal cost savings"? That is the point where no more cuts can be made, no more efficiency can be squeezed out of employees, no more layoffs or separations can be afforded, and no more money can be saved. What will we do to impress the shareholders then? It seems, since the IPO, that every year there is a cost reduction initiative to impress the shareholders. What happens when we (UPS) have nothing left to impress them with?

It's time to quit worrying about the mule going blind, and just load the wagon.

Sorry- that's the best hick saying I could come up with.

They will never be in a position that no more layoffs or separations can be afforded. Technology and 10% unemployment will see to that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Thank You! You get it! It's wrong by design. I don't care if our leaders want to measure it, just be fair and measure it right.

Makes me wonder if the time study data is wrong by design too.
Sure it is. That's why it's an ever sliding scale. The time studies are designed to attempt to bleed as much as they possibly can from up turnips.

JustTired

free at last.......
The reason for having unattainable standards is that it keeps those drivers on "bonus" from ever achieving it. It also keeps those in management from attaining their bonus. Wouldn't it be more honest to just suspend all bonus pay? Not doing so just creates a climate of cheating and manipulation that skews the numbers and keeps them from ever being a meaningful measurement. Having to cheat and manipulate just to keep your job is no way to go through life.

With all of the delivery standards that are in place (COD allowances, mileage, pkg allowance, weather,etc.), what good are they when drivers are being held to the metric of SPORH? That measurement doesn't take into consideration any of the for-mentioned standards. This is like trying to apply an assembly line-type standard to a job that is anything but. No two stops are the same. The same stop isn't the same two days in a row.

UPS drivers should be held to a high standard. But, in my opinion, that standard should have more to do with integrity and honesty than how many SPORH they can achieve. There are better ways to measure an employees worth. And the cost-savings to the company, while maybe not as apparent, can be many-fold to an arbitrary number. JMO

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The reason for having unattainable standards is that it keeps those drivers on "bonus" from ever achieving it. It also keeps those in management from attaining their bonus. Wouldn't it be more honest to just suspend all bonus pay? Not doing so just creates a climate of cheating and manipulation that skews the numbers and keeps them from ever being a meaningful measurement. Having to cheat and manipulate just to keep your job is no way to go through life.

With all of the delivery standards that are in place (COD allowances, mileage, pkg allowance, weather,etc.), what good are they when drivers are being held to the metric of SPORH? That measurement doesn't take into consideration any of the for-mentioned standards. This is like trying to apply an assembly line-type standard to a job that is anything but. No two stops are the same. The same stop isn't the same two days in a row.

UPS drivers should be held to a high standard. But, in my opinion, that standard should have more to do with integrity and honesty than how many SPORH they can achieve. There are better ways to measure an employees worth. And the cost-savings to the company, while maybe not as apparent, can be many-fold to an arbitrary number. JMO

The bonus system is the ultimate in corporate hypocrisy.
No were else in this company is it more apparent.
They backhandedly preach safety, while rewarding drivers who shortcut the methods with bonus money.
The bonus babies are never called on the carpet for safety unless they have an accident or injury.
I'm with JustTired, get rid of bonus.
Do so and watch everything but production fall in line.
Instead they will conitue to try and have their cake and eat it too.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A bonus system is a good system.

But like everything else that has passed down the UPS pipeline to the front, it gets prostituted.

It does bite when drivers that cut corners, skip service to the customer, and do things that could be construed as stealing, get patted on the back and told they did a good job. Of course until that nasty audit, accident, or injury, at which time they are dumped faster than a litterbox.

But yet the driver that gives 100%, who bends over backward to help customers, who takes the service portion of United Partial Service very seriously, are the ones that enjoy harassment, OJS's, and the constant belittling of their efforts by number crunchers.

I know that these are generalizations, and that there are exceptions to these. But not many.

I see the corp system at ups very much like the medical community right now.

All the docs gripe and complain about insurance for themselves and their practice. Insurance that would be much lower if the constant offenders were barred from holding a license. But they sure as heck dont want to self police the system, they would much rather pass the higher costs to the customer.

If you, Corp. UPS, would self police your ranks, the constant antagonism would be much less.

d

Dragon

Package Center Manager
But, in my opinion, that standard should have more to do with integrity and honesty than how many SPORH they can achieve. There are better ways to measure an employees worth.

OK, you guys go first.....then I will ask you the next day why you lost money on your route and you better be honest!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
But, in my opinion, that standard should have more to do with integrity and honesty than how many SPORH they can achieve. There are better ways to measure an employees worth.

OK, you guys go first.....then I will ask you the next day why you lost money on your route and you better be honest!!

Running a few clicks over does not mean you are losing money.

The bonus system is the ultimate in corporate hypocrisy.
No were else in this company is it more apparent.
They backhandedly preach safety, while rewarding drivers who shortcut the methods with bonus money.
The bonus babies are never called on the carpet for safety unless they have an accident or injury.
I'm with JustTired, get rid of bonus.
Do so and watch everything but production fall in line.
Instead they will conitue to try and have their cake and eat it too.
We tried to get rid of bonus in our center it started out with alot of guys and girls all being for it. As the three weeks past those who were for it kept making excuses about why they still had not turned in there grievance. When it was all said and done I figured it out they just didn't have the stones to do it. Everyone at ups likes to complain and gossip but very few will actually step up to the plate. A ups with out bonus would be a way safer place to work with alot less terminations for dishonesty.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

The way we got rid of it here was to have a meeting. It was well advertised as to the purpose. UPS tried their dead level best to do end runs around what was going on, but the meeting still took place.

Best I can remember, of the people attending, after all comments were heard, better than 80% were against the bonus system the way it had become. Where as almost 100% were for it the way it was first placed in service.

d