Corporate Hypocrisy

JustTired

free at last.......
agreed. you do agree that we do have to find ways to meausure the service to ensure its improving along with or ahead of customer expectations?

Sure, I agree. But realizing that not everything can be measured with a number is just as important.

When everything is reduced to a number, you're not getting the "big picture". Treat customers and employees with the respect they deserve, not just as a number on a report, and I think the most important number will be achieved. That being the bottom line. Stop the "big brother" approach and have a little faith in those that you thought enough of to employ (management and hourly). The prosperity and productivity may just amaze you. JMO

iowa boy

Sure, I agree. But realizing that not everything can be measured with a num ber is just as important.

When everything is reduced to a number, you're not getting the "big picture". Treat customers and employees with the respect they deserve, not just as a number on a report, and I think the most important number will be achieved. That being the bottom line. Stop the "big brother" approach and have a little faith in those that you thought enough of to employ (management and hourly). The prosperity and productivity may just amaze you. JMO

I am glad I'm not the only one that is seeing this. I just wish the higher ups within the company would see that the people who perform their jobs everyday are not time wasting numbers on a piece of paper. They are people who really do care about this company. And Im not just speaking about hourly employees either.

Cezanne

I am glad I'm not the only one that is seeing this. I just wish the higher ups within the company would see that the people who perform their jobs everyday are not time wasting numbers on a piece of paper. They are people who really do care about this company. And Im not just speaking about hourly employees either.
Agree, in my area good management people are dropping like flies.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

So, just do the job. Make the pickups within the window. Why is that so hard?

P-Man[/QUOTE]

I'm already doing that. Who said I wasn't? I'd also like to add:

Just fix the report, what's so hard about that?

Just fix the hidden yellow range system flaw, what's so hard about that?

Just fix the DPS EPD typical day flaws, what's so hard about that?

Just fix the DMS forecast so we're not guessing every day, what's so...etc.

Seriously, there's so much half-ass work out there. The Corp standard reply has become "it's working as designed," rather than "we can do better."

pretzel_man

P-Man, let me say thanks for the honest reply to my questions.

But I must ask you though, how does this "no excuses" measurement allow for things that are out of our control. Weather will be the example I will use here. So far this winter we have received here 55+ inches of snow. That is from the first week in December til now. So we have had our share or snow. How does this measurement allow for the EC packages that we cannot honestly deliver due to conditions beyond our control. Sorry for the tangent here, but our district is nice enough now to let each center know how many actual packages were sheeted as EC on a daily basis and for how long they have been sheeted as such. Now I know you can't answer this, but what is the point of this?

I know the MAR for misloads is 1 for 2500 company wide, but why the emphasis on perfection when every one in this company is fallible? We have employees here who are currently being diciplined for each misload when their numbers are over the 1 for 7500 mark? What purpose is this serving? What happened to the "nice job, keep that streak going? I know you can't speak for where I am at, but hopefully you see my point that UPS seems to be wasting a lot of time on little things and bringing company morale down in the process.

Most of the current employees have enjoyed, (at company expense), at one point or another, food catered in or cooked for them for a job well done. Now I know I this isn't gonna happen for quite a while, and that is fine by me. But what happened to the pat on the back or the handshake and the "you did a good job today" or "I know your day sucked, but thanks for getting it done"? Most of us employees, and a lot of managment too, don't get this anymore? All we get is...well I'm sure you probably here it already, but why the change in attitude?

I apologize for the long winded rant, but in the last two years or so, this company has turned around 180 degrees when it comes to the treatment of its employees, both hourly and management?

IOWA,

I was afraid you would ask about weather. I purposely skipped that. Not because I was hiding it, but because it makes things harder to explain. I'll try.

When the "no excuses" service measurement came out everything failure counted against the total. The measurement is used in QPR's and for MIP and that caused some issues. After a few years, the management committee decided that a couple of exceptions would not count against service. I think they are weather and emergency conditions.

They are tightly controlled and monitored. In fact a memo just came from corporate on that a couple of weeks ago.

My point on the 1 per 2500 was that a 2% error rate is inside the number. I always used something like that as a guide.

You mention an attaboy... I am a strong believer in that. There is no corporate directive against it or to push warning letters. Generally stupid warning letters are due to stupid management. BTW, when I was a supervisor many years ago, I found out that there is something called a compliment letter. I gave out a lot of those.

I wish I could answer for stupid management. A reprimand for an honest simple mistake is not good. However, a warning letter for not following methods on purpose is certainly warranted.

P-Man

pretzel_man

So, just do the job. Make the pickups within the window. Why is that so hard?

P-Man

I'm already doing that. Who said I wasn't? I'd also like to add:

Just fix the report, what's so hard about that?

Just fix the hidden yellow range system flaw, what's so hard about that?

Just fix the DPS EPD typical day flaws, what's so hard about that?

Just fix the DMS forecast so we're not guessing every day, what's so...etc.

Seriously, there's so much half-ass work out there. The Corp standard reply has become "it's working as designed," rather than "we can do better."
[/QUOTE]

I guess the reason that I thought you were not making pickups within the window is that you whined about how it would impact your raise (which it doesn't).

While we are on the topic of whining when I was a supervisor, we didn't have any of these systems. We had to manually create DDR's. Manually create alpha load charts and car load diagrams. We had to dispatch in range and would have died for a forecast, even with flaws.

I think its time for you and other management people to look themselves in the mirror.....

Hidden yellow ranges, typical day flaws, and DMS forecast issues are nuisances. They are easy to work around. Every system is imperfect, and these issues are very, very minor. As far as I can see, you are using them as an excuse.

While I'm at it, I work in many, many centers with the same flawed systems you mention. I know how to use them, how to work around them, and how to get operational gain using them.

Fix the trace. Fix the dispatch. Fix misloads. They are under your control and can be fixed very easily with the system we have. You will improve your operation, make drivers happier, and have a sustainable process.

When you have fixed every other issue in your operation, then we can talk about hidden yellows and the DMS forecast.

P-Man

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
''''While we are on the topic of whining when I was a supervisor, we didn't have any of these systems. We had to manually create DDR's. Manually create alpha load charts and car load diagrams. We had to dispatch in range and would have died for a forecast, even with flaws-'''''''''----------yes,,you did not have these metrics that would hold you accountable--you lucked out, your not some genius that makes the right decision and has all the answers , you got in at the right time,,, count your blessings

pretzel_man

''''While we are on the topic of whining when I was a supervisor, we didn't have any of these systems. We had to manually create DDR's. Manually create alpha load charts and car load diagrams. We had to dispatch in range and would have died for a forecast, even with flaws-'''''''''----------yes,,you did not have these metrics that would hold you accountable--you lucked out, your not some genius that makes the right decision and has all the answers , you got in at the right time,,, count your blessings

You think we were not held accountable? Give me a break...

I think I had 20 or so MBC items and I had to do employee profiles on each person reporting to me. We had to create spec worksheets each month and it we didn't improve, there was "team MBC".

Today is no harder. I'm not saying today is easier either. One thing we didn't do however is whine about the situation.

P-Man

hellfire

You think we were not held accountable? Give me a break...

I think I had 20 or so MBC items and I had to do employee profiles on each person reporting to me. We had to create spec worksheets each month and it we didn't improve, there was "team MBC".

Today is no harder. I'm not saying today is easier either. One thing we didn't do however is whine about the situation.

P-Man
yes,,,creating spec worksheets,, self made numbers allways work,,i know of ALOT fo drivers that never had late airs on paper,, amazing, isnt it

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When you have fixed every other issue in your operation, then we can talk about hidden yellows and the DMS forecast.

P-Man[/QUOTE]

I think P-Man thought he was on a conference call.
Here we can talk about whatever we want.

tieguy

Banned

P-Man

Here we can talk about whatever we want.[/QUOTE]

thats a little harsh. I think PMan makes a good point. Worry about building a solid house before you worry about the drapes.

hellfire

Here we can talk about whatever we want.

thats a little harsh. I think PMan makes a good point. Worry about building a solid house before you worry about the drapes.[/QUOTE] yes,, pman makes alot of 'good points" hes brown to the bone,,loyal to the co. I respect that ,,,,...its just i see a diff. ups world

pretzel_man

thats a little harsh. I think PMan makes a good point. Worry about building a solid house before you worry about the drapes.
yes,, pman makes alot of 'good points" hes brown to the bone,,loyal to the co. I respect that ,,,,...its just i see a diff. ups world[/QUOTE]

Yes I am... No reason to lie.

When a management person doesn't do what's right, I will say so.

I've said before, I'm likely the last of a dying breed. The culprit by the way is not corporate. Its lack of growth.

No one can tell me that we didn't work our tails off 30 years ago. We killed ourselves with a whatever it takes attitude.

Many are doing their best to do the same today. The problem is that at the end of the year, there is no growth. No new drivers. No promotions. No stock increase. At leas there used to be a light at the end of the rainbow. We need our packages back.

P-Man

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

yes,, pman makes alot of 'good points" hes brown to the bone,,loyal to the co. I respect that ,,,,...its just i see a diff. ups world
P-MAN is one of the dying breed. Leftovers of the partnership.
UPS will take care the company and it will be strong.
Check back on P-MAN's replacement in 10 years and see what the line is then.

bad company

semi-pro
I guess the reason that I thought you were not making pickups within the window is that you whined about how it would impact your raise (which it doesn't).

While we are on the topic of whining when I was a supervisor, we didn't have any of these systems. We had to manually create DDR's. Manually create alpha load charts and car load diagrams. We had to dispatch in range and would have died for a forecast, even with flaws.

I think its time for you and other management people to look themselves in the mirror.....

Hidden yellow ranges, typical day flaws, and DMS forecast issues are nuisances. They are easy to work around. Every system is imperfect, and these issues are very, very minor. As far as I can see, you are using them as an excuse.

While I'm at it, I work in many, many centers with the same flawed systems you mention. I know how to use them, how to work around them, and how to get operational gain using them.

Fix the trace. Fix the dispatch. Fix misloads. They are under your control and can be fixed very easily with the system we have. You will improve your operation, make drivers happier, and have a sustainable process.

P-Man

Next time you're in the Atlanta area, please let me know. I would love for you to come to my center and educate my management team....they are clueless. Maybe that explains why they're 3rd from last in the region on many rate and ranks elements.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
thats a little harsh. I think Man makes a good point. Worry about building a solid house before you worry about the drapes.

I don't speak the acronyms used in the post I was referring to.
It just sounded alot like what I imagined those infamous conference calls would sound like.
You know the ones where a Center Manager would get dressed down for making a suggestion like they fix an inaccurate report.
Good point you say?
I say cop out from a so called leader.
I'll fix ours when you fix yours?
Reminds me of that old grade school standby again.
"I know you are, but what am I".

JustTired

free at last.......

To continue the analogy........It doesn't matter how solid your house is when someone on the top floor is telling you to remove blocks from the foundation.

tieguy

Banned
I don't speak the acronyms used in the post I was referring to.
It just sounded alot like what I imagined those infamous conference calls would sound like.
You know the ones where a Center Manager would get dressed down for making a suggestion like they fix an inaccurate report.
Good point you say?
I say cop out from a so called leader.
I'll fix ours when you fix yours?
Reminds me of that old grade school standby again.
"I know you are, but what am I".

the problem i see with your argument is its too easy for us to throw our hands up and say "the report is screwed up"

Its frustrating dealing with and explaining the errors on a screwed up report.
But they can be explained on a conference call and otherwise.
you don't get on the call and say the report is screwed up.
you give them the details until they realize the report is screwed up.

Moving past that frustration at some time you as a leader have to make a decision as to whether you're just going to give up because you don't like report
or whether you will fix what you can fix.

sig has done a great job of explaining the frustrations of a bad report.

Pman has done a great job of explaining the mindset you need to have to deal with that report.

I don't think either one is necessarily wrong here.

tieguy

Banned
yes,, pman makes alot of 'good points" hes brown to the bone,,loyal to the co. I respect that ,,,,...its just i see a diff. ups world

Yes I am... No reason to lie.

When a management person doesn't do what's right, I will say so.

I've said before, I'm likely the last of a dying breed. The culprit by the way is not corporate. Its lack of growth.

No one can tell me that we didn't work our tails off 30 years ago. We killed ourselves with a whatever it takes attitude.

Many are doing their best to do the same today. The problem is that at the end of the year, there is no growth. No new drivers. No promotions. No stock increase. At leas there used to be a light at the end of the rainbow. We need our packages back.

P-Man[/QUOTE]

I know you said you respect it but i find it funny that we often chastize someone who defends the company.
For some reason we're expected to work for this company for 30 or more years but not like or defend it.:happy2: