corporations find their dream worker under massive for profit prison system

oldngray

nowhere special
Bernie Sanders wants Wall St to pay for everyone's college.

Part of the problem with that is not everyone needs to or should go to college. Too many graduates already with worthless degrees who can't find a job and are whining about their student loan debt. I believe the problem should be approached from the opposite direction - by trying to get universities to reduce tuition instead of encouraging them to raise tuition costs because of all the emphasis on loaning money to students. If students easily get loans it distorts how much they will end up owing if and when they graduate. Then when they end up owing many thousands of dollars too many want those debts forgiven.

rickyb

Part of the problem with that is not everyone needs to or should go to college. Too many graduates already with worthless degrees who can't find a job and are whining about their student loan debt. I believe the problem should be approached from the opposite direction - by trying to get universities to reduce tuition instead of encouraging them to raise tuition costs because of all the emphasis on loaning money to students. If students easily get loans it distorts how much they will end up owing if and when they graduate. Then when they end up owing many thousands of dollars too many want those debts forgiven.

going to college is Not supposed to be about finding a good job, its supposed to be about making good citizens.

colleges are corporatized. my pops went to a technical institute back in the day for power engineering or whatever and they watched clockwork orange, read brave new world, grapes of wrath, etc. i went to the same place and it was only about whatever career i was interested in.

colleges now simply train people to manage the corporate oligarchy. theres no questioning and the people dont know how to think.

Last edited:

rickyb

"a certain majority of the population would not have to pay for it" = someone else has to pay for it. It is very easy to give away other people's money isn't it?

its the right thing to do: take money away from people who have the most of it, and give it to those who have the least.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As I recall it is not hard to get loans for college. I had no income to speak of, I got them, and I paid them back. You sure work harder when you pay for it. I am all for grants, because if you don't get a certain gpa they kick you out. I got some of those, but no way did taxpayers pay for all of it. I totally believe every one who wants to go should be able to go, but they should also help pay for it. No one should get a free ride. It just builds responsibility.

rickyb

As I recall it is not hard to get loans for college. I had no income to speak of, I got them, and I paid them back. You sure work harder when you pay for it. I am all for grants, because if you don't get a certain gpa they kick you out. I got some of those, but no way did taxpayers pay for all of it. I totally believe every one who wants to go should be able to go, but they should also help pay for it. No one should get a free ride. It just builds responsibility.

when did you go?

2015 was the most expensive year on record. governments are "cash strapped" after bailing out the corporations and the banks, on top of the timid recovery, so tuition has been rising faster last 8 years.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
when did you go?

2015 was the most expensive year on record. governments are "cash strapped" after bailing out the corporations and the banks, on top of the timid recovery.
Yes it was a while ago. And I said grants are good things. I don't want to see any person in debt for hundreds of thousands. I owed about 30k, when I got done, and that was late 80s. My nieces both just finished, and they worked, and have about the same amount of debt. Because their Mom and Dad made too much to get many grants.

oldngray

nowhere special
when did you go?

2015 was the most expensive year on record. governments are "cash strapped" after bailing out the corporations and the banks, on top of the timid recovery, so tuition has been rising faster last 8 years.

Government bail outs have absolutely nothing to do with tuition costs.

rickyb

Yes it was a while ago. And I said grants are good things. I don't want to see any person in debt for hundreds of thousands. I owed about 30k, when I got done, and that was late 80s. My nieces both just finished, and they worked, and have about the same amount of debt. Because their Mom and Dad made too much to get many grants.

wow that was quite a bit for back then.

rickyb

Government bail outs have absolutely nothing to do with tuition costs.
governments spent alot of money on bail outs and afterwards said they have less money for education and alot of other social programs. its called austerity, or "fiscal responsibility" or whatever

oldngray

nowhere special
governments spent alot of money on bail outs and afterwards said they have less money for education and alot of other social programs. its called austerity, or "fiscal responsibility" or whatever

Again, government spending has nothing to do with tuition.

wkmac

College degrees can be achieved at a discount. At least in Georgia one can pay a nominal fee per class and test out. If one is willing to self study it is possible to get a degree for very cheap. One kid at the local state college got a 4 year degree and never stepped foot into a classroom or lecture hall which a local newspaper did a story on. College was proud of him but not excited for obvious reason that his approach would catch on. Haven't heard of one since.

Another option to limit costs are 2 year technical schools who offer college credit courses at about 30% of the full cost at any college. The credits are fully transferable to any State school but private colleges may be another matter. Our neighbor's kid used this approach and what would have cost around $20k at the college cost just over $5k at the local technical school. And the pressure at the technical school is not as great but the class credit is treated equal. And when you get the diploma from the 4 year State College, no where does it say that half or more of your college years was at a no-name technical school.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
wow that was quite a bit for back then.
Once I started at UPS didnt get much in grants. Full load, 12 credits. Borrowed the most allowable to buy a car, pay for gas, help with housing, etc. Was not all school cost,(tuition) but things I needed to get there, and achieve it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wkmac, when you transfer, most colleges typically require that you take at least 60 credit hours with them in order to be eligible to graduate.

tooner, you nailed it on the head when you said that you work harder for it when you have to pay for it.

P

pickup

going to college is Not supposed to be about finding a good job, its supposed to be about making good citizens.

colleges are corporatized. my pops went to a technical institute back in the day for power engineering or whatever and they watched clockwork orange, read brave new world, grapes of wrath, etc. i went to the same place and it was only about whatever career i was interested in.

colleges now simply train people to manage the corporate oligarchy. theres no questioning and the people dont know how to think.

You can read Brave new world and Grapes of Wrath for absolutely nothing. They're available at your local public library for free. And I believe you can probably rent Clockwork Orange for less than 5 dollars. Just sayin'.