cost cutting

deezilfuelonly

A new hazmat DVD came out 2 months ago. You shouldn't be watching the wisecracking weasel.
Here is my suggestion for the all new comprehensive hazmat training video for service providers...Driver finds leaking pkg on car.....Driver calls center...Sup tells driver to put it in D.R. bag. End of video.:wink:

Leftinbuilding

Vandura, I kinda doubt you work(ed) for UPS. If you did you probably would have heard that UPS uses the railroad for most of its crosscountry loads. Ever sat at a railroad crossing and watched as dozen and dozens UPS trailers rolled by? As to fedex vs UPS peak volume is concerned consider this--- fedex PEAK day volume was about 1/2 UPS daily average volume. Anyway, your post was entertaining.........

upsdude

Perhaps I have a different view than most UPSers. I have worked for FedEx. Now I can say I have worked for UPS--as Seasonal Feeder Driver. Thought I might stay on with UPS after the "season." Now I'm not sure if UPS even knows what a peak season looks like. The package volume is NO WHERE close to FedEx's! Did anyone else besides me notice that for every lonely UPS tractor trailor on the road, you saw 5 FedEx. Maybe most UPS drivers simply ignore this fact. And, it could just be like that here in the VA valley.

But, fact is three friends/family went with UPS for thier Christmas shipping because I worked there this season...came to me astonished at the high price UPS charged them.

Seems UPS is sitting on cruise (smug in thier former 100 years' trophies) and thus no longer practicing to win the upcoming game! I note most of the views on this very site are re: dinosor issues like pension, job seniority )

Could it be that UPS has seen its best/final days?
Could it be that UPS is getting left in thier tracks (even in NASCAR)?

Please understand I went with UPS because of its reputation. However, now I wonder if a reputation is all UPS offers.
I take time to write this not out of a mean spirit, not trying to start a dumb union vs nonunion distraction. I kindly make these observations because I learned in my former position (before my CDL) that when everyone begins to focus on (1) keeping the past alive and (2)maintaining the position they have then...closure has ALREADY begun.

My center's volume was up 25% over last year's peak. Today we ran 8 routes over the same day last year. No snow, no mess, just additional volume.

UPS could cut their prices and drive FedEx out of business in weeks. Of course, the board and CEO would be in court for Anti Trust Violations.

feeder

Central Pa Member
Perhaps I have a different view than most UPSers. I have worked for FedEx. Now I can say I have worked for UPS--as Seasonal Feeder Driver. Thought I might stay on with UPS after the "season." Now I'm not sure if UPS even knows what a peak season looks like. The package volume is NO WHERE close to FedEx's! Did anyone else besides me notice that for every lonely UPS tractor trailor on the road, you saw 5 FedEx. Maybe most UPS drivers simply ignore this fact. And, it could just be like that here in the VA valley.

But, fact is three friends/family went with UPS for thier Christmas shipping because I worked there this season...came to me astonished at the high price UPS charged them.

Seems UPS is sitting on cruise (smug in thier former 100 years' trophies) and thus no longer practicing to win the upcoming game! I note most of the views on this very site are re: dinosor issues like pension, job seniority )

Could it be that UPS has seen its best/final days?
Could it be that UPS is getting left in thier tracks (even in NASCAR)?

Please understand I went with UPS because of its reputation. However, now I wonder if a reputation is all UPS offers.
I take time to write this not out of a mean spirit, not trying to start a dumb union vs nonunion distraction. I kindly make these observations because I learned in my former position (before my CDL) that when everyone begins to focus on (1) keeping the past alive and (2)maintaining the position they have then...closure has ALREADY begun.

Vandura, I concurr with leftinbuilding with the 1(upsfeeder) vs. 5(fedex) on road, I've been an feeder driver for 21 years and I transport loads to the railyard everynite. I've never seen any fedex trailers or fedex tractor trailer guys picking or leaving trailers, but when that day comes when they do, then thats when the "SKY WILL BE FALLING AT UPS"!

HazMatMan

Here is my suggestion for the all new comprehensive hazmat training video for service providers...Driver finds leaking pkg on car.....Driver calls center...Sup tells driver to put it in D.R. bag. End of video.:wink:

The sup is supposed to send out a trained hazmat responder to your pkg car, so if they tell you to just put it in a bag you are as bad as them, once again, I said a trained hazmat responder should be sent to your pkg car, not a supervisor untrained in hazmat handling with a pair of gloves that go up your butt and a plastic bag should be handling that damage, unless it is identifiable of course, (wine, water, edible)

HazMatMan

What area are you in? 3 weeks without washing? Fedex hires a carwash outfit to come and wash their trucks once a week here. Sounds like a good idea considering our carwash people are always having to do other jobs.

Yeah what area are you in??? we have our own home grown car washers here at UPS in New York City. 3 weeks without a car washing??? wouldn't happen here, the trucks here always sparkle and shine...

W

westsideworma

not for nothing guys but doesn't UPS pull this kind of crap EVERY year right after peak? Its usually gone within a month or so (sometimes less). Maybe this year will be different...but I doubt it

danlin

When us "old dinosaurs" die off,that is when UPS is really going to be hurting. To find workers like the old breed(ones who actually care and work hard) is going to be difficult for UPS,we are few and far between. "Kids" nowadays don't want to work hard or long hours.

here here. So true I hit 29 years in Feb. There are 8 guys above me in the seniority list and everyone of us a have carried this center for the last 30 because of hard work ethics. But the new hires I see coming now always want
days off or help when they get over 8.5 days etc.

danlin

It may seem funny now, but this company is under tremendous stress to meet our financial goals and the Street's expecatons to grow. Our cost to serve is much above the competition. The union employees can laugh all they want, but eventually it will come down to their jobs/wages. Unions can only protect so many things, but without competitve pricing, volume will not grow or will decline.

It is sad to see us so tight, but we really have no choice. You can see how much that the union-free portion of the company is being not only squeezed/cut but asked to give back more (with the terrible exception of the grade 20's and above getting much more in stock options -- disgusting).

Unless we get a more level playing field to compete, which there are signs of such with the unionization efforts at FedEx and the contractor scheme falling apart, we will continue to be this tight. The Teamsters must understand what we are collectively up against. It is no mirage. We have to watch every penny to survive this unfair competitive advantage thinga and try to keep what we have, which are very good jobs without needing a lot of college training/cost!

Oh puleeze load stand. Have you read a UPS financial statement lately? I guarantee its not in the red! I do agree though that Fredwrecks unionizing would help us immensely. But Fred S will fight that till his dying days.

danlin

Last week my center had the usual "compliance training" but this year it came with a twist. We had the hazmat video with the wise-cracking little punk but this time they had all 40 of us together in the shop area and it was a predictable free-for-all of jokes and derisive laughter. The next day the sup is yelling out the answers without going over the questions telling us that if we had questions to see him afterward. Then I go to my truck that hasn't been washed in several days and start to wonder what is going on.

The next day I talk to my ctr mgr. and he tells me he was ordered in writing and by phone by a much higher up to get the training done by Jan 1. and to not wash trucks for 3 weeks. He also had to lay off a porter.

After 30 years I hate to see the farcical training and the dirty trucks. Is this just in my district or is it company wide?

We start it tomorrow and yes it is by groups of people this time. mangement spewing that they want to get it done in a timely fashion this year

over9five

Staff member
Have twice had a trained hazmat responder dispatched to meet me onroad.

It is your responsibility to follow the right procedure.

Don't touch
Secure vehicle
Leave area
Notify sup

The life you save may be your own.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Yeah what area are you in??? we have our own home grown car washers here at UPS in New York City. 3 weeks without a car washing??? wouldn't happen here, the trucks here always sparkle and shine...

Our car washers are home grown also but the ctr mgr was told to cut hours. All they are allowed to do is clean windshields and lights. I was told it was a temporary condition but when my customers start commenting on the dirty truck it sends the wrong message.

HazMatMan

Our car washers are home grown also but the ctr mgr was told to cut hours. All they are allowed to do is clean windshields and lights. I was told it was a temporary condition but when my customers start commenting on the dirty truck it sends the wrong message.

Cut hours??? aren't your full timers GUARANTEED 8 hours of work??

W

westsideworma

Cut hours??? aren't your full timers GUARANTEED 8 hours of work??

I think they were referring to the PTimers. we're only guaranteed 3.5 (and they'd try to send us home earlier if we didn't know that). I made sure all the new kids that survived peak (lol) knew that if they didn't have 3.5 hrs on the clock they could NOT be sent home unless they wanted to go. That didn't stop the supes from trying though.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
I don't have a problem with executive compensation. If I had to make the sacrifices (family, free time, moving from town to town etc.) and I was gifted enough to be CEO of the largest transportation company in the world, I would say they are getting a bargain at 1.21 mill. I just hope the company doesn't stop doing the things that set it apart; the things that make me proud to tell people where I work and what I do.

First, we are not the largest in the world. DHL takes the cake.
Second, I'm not saying that being a CEO, means he deserves to make less than a driver. If he took a 25% cut then he's still making $900K. If they did this accross the board with managers in district and above that would be a tremendous reduction in cost.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When UPS takes hazmat training seriously, and gets rid of that video, maybe the employees will also take it seriously. That video is a disgrace and an insult to intelligence!!
My thoughts exactly, Its something to show to a 3rd grader.

He needs a fork jammed in his eye.
I could think of a better place to jam it.

A new hazmat DVD came out 2 months ago. You shouldn't be watching the wisecracking weasel.
there is a God.

W

westsideworma

...and start times are already back to where they were just before peak (ranging from 330-400). my that didn't take long:cool:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Speaking of NYC just what was that smell in the air today?
I like how your leadership tells you it isnt hazardous to you, but...................we dont know what it is. Now if they didnt know what it was, how can they assure it isnt hazardous to you? Im confused!