cost of health insurance for retirees

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No vote....no voice......the AMERICAN way....part timers far outnumber full time.....if they voted as a block.....they could control the narrative. Then again if people wouldn't Work off the clock.......yeah been there already..perjurer
I guess this applies to all the RETIRED UPSers (like @The Milkman ) who have no vote.
There is a difference in voting what is good for you and voting what is "right".
Using your thought-process, all the humans under 18 (no vote) could be voted into bondage and slavery.
Luckily most people vote for what is right than their own selfish desires and greedy ambitions.

Last edited:

OPTION3

I guess this applies to all the RETIRED UPSers (like @The Milkman ) who have no vote.
There is a difference in voting what is good for you and voting what is "right".
Using your thought-process, all the human under 18 (no vote) could be voted into bondage and slavery.
Luckily most people vote for what is right than their own selfish desires and greedy ambitions.
"Right" and "good for you" ... means SO much coming from a manager at ups...same thing

Last edited:

The Milkman

Using your thought-process, all the humans under 18 (no vote) could be voted into bondage and slavery.

FYI I always voted what was right..I had no Greed streak in me like many others who only saw the $$$ sign.. Everyone kept saying.."I want to see it in my paycheck" Dollar an hour dollar an hour was all I kept hearing over the years...I always felt since day 1 that I was paid a decent wage. I would of been happy with a quarter or no raise at all...just please keep the benefits in place so when I retire they will be there waiting for me..I never finished HS so I do thank UPS for where I am today because otherwise I think I would still be shlubbing along somewhere else with just a dream of retirement at any age..

ski or die

Ski or Die
Bottom line. The retirees got screwed big time! I don't blame UPS. I blame the Teamsters
Actually the employees voting yes on retirement concessions are a lot like Congress. Just pushing the problem on down the road. Then eventually, when they retire, they will understand what they have done to their own benefits. And then it will be too late. When I was a Steward, that was something myself and a lot of my fellow members fought for, was enhancing our retirement benefits, then being concerned with wage increases. All the work that was done to make our retirement benefits decent has been destroyed. At some point, future retirees will face some of the difficulties of retirement that they have created.

The Milkman

Actually the employees voting yes on retirement concessions are a lot like Congress. Just pushing the problem on down the road. Then eventually, when they retire, they will understand what they have done to their own benefits. And then it will be too late. When I was a Steward, that was something myself and a lot of my fellow members fought for, was enhancing our retirement benefits, then being concerned with wage increases. All the work that was done to make our retirement benefits decent has been destroyed. At some point, future retirees will face some of the difficulties of retirement that they have created.

You Are SO RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

twoweeled

Bottom line. The retirees got screwed big time! I don't blame UPS. I blame the Teamsters

Wow! That hit's like a ton of bricks. But your right. The reality is - the company's nature is to take as much as they can, and give as little as possible. That is what they are expected to do. BUT!!! The union's job is to get the most possible for it's members, while leaving as little for the company as possible. That's expected.

Am I the only one who had the feeling during (supposed) negotiations. The company and the union were working together to pass as poor a contract, as we would accept?? Nobody else felt this??

Wow! That hit's like a ton of bricks. But your right. The reality is - the company's nature is to take as much as they can, and give as little as possible. That is what they are expected to do. BUT!!! The union's job is to get the most possible for it's members, while leaving as little for the company as possible. That's expected.

Am I the only one who had the feeling during (supposed) negotiations. The company and the union were working together to pass the as poor a contract, as we would accept?? Nobody else felt this??
Impasse
Wonder how much "kick back money" they got for that.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Now you can relate to part-timers getting shafted all those years by full-timers voting "Yes" while part-timers got shafted contract after contract.

I started as a part timer and voted on each contract vote since 1989. I accepted that article 40, which was IMHO a shaft to those it covered, had been voted in by previous FT AND PT members. I did my time, became a FT Driver and enjoyed the benefits of PT then FT employment.
You have good and bad with each contract.
There were many hands in the kettle that created the contracts we all worked under. Same with this one. Yes, the Teamsters negotiators certainly could have presented a more balanced contact upon which to vote, but that didn't happen. The members surely could have stood stronger for better compensation for PTers and Retirees, but that also did not happen.
You always neglect to mention that UPS, also at the table, is free to present language that is more balanced. That was possible, alas that also did not happen.
There is blame enough for all involved to go around. It's not as clean a case, as you would suggest, aimed only at the "Teamsters" you so obviously dislike.
I was a VOTING part timer. No one deserves sympathy for not participating in their own future.
UPS was always free to insist on full coverage during the first year of pt employment. Wonder why they didn't? They no doubt got tired of ponying up for kids who got $6k in dental braces after 3 months employment, and promptly quit.
UPS is always free to go back to that plan. PTers are always free to insist on it and vote.
Further, UPS is ALWAYS free to create the promised 22.3 jobs they promised, thereby raising many PTers into FT and leveling the disparity. Wonder why they don't?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I started as a part timer and voted on each contract vote since 1989. I accepted that article 40, which was IMHO a shaft to those it covered, had been voted in by previous FT AND PT members. I did my time, became a FT Driver and enjoyed the benefits of PT then FT employment.
You have good and bad with each contract.
There were many hands in the kettle that created the contracts we all worked under. Same with this one. Yes, the Teamsters negotiators certainly could have presented a more balanced contact upon which to vote, but that didn't happen. The members surely could have stood stronger for better compensation for PTers and Retirees, but that also did not happen.
You always neglect to mention that UPS, also at the table, is free to present language that is more balanced. That was possible, alas that also did not happen.
There is blame enough for all involved to go around. It's not as clean a case, as you would suggest, aimed only at the "Teamsters" you so obviously dislike.
I was a VOTING part timer. No one deserves sympathy for not participating in their own future.
UPS was always free to insist on full coverage during the first year of pt employment. Wonder why they didn't? They no doubt got tired of ponying up for kids who got $6k in dental braces after 3 months employment, and promptly quit.
UPS is always free to go back to that plan. PTers are always free to insist on it and vote.
Further, UPS is ALWAYS free to create the promised 22.3 jobs they promised, thereby raising many PTers into FT and leveling the disparity. Wonder why they don't?
You know why ... admit it!

I never said UPS was not complicit.
It is the Union's responsibility to take care of their brothers and sisters as they see fit.
UPS presents a financial package to the Teamsters Management and then the negotiations begin on how that financial package is divided up.

MC4YOU2

So, UPS is faultless? They could throw in enough cash to buy juniors braces. It got so bad, so embarrassing, that the pt sups had less coverage than a 30 day car washer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So, UPS is faultless? They could throw in enough cash to buy juniors braces. It got so bad, so embarrassing, that the pt sups had less coverage than a 30 day car washer.
I don't know why you think that ... I don't.
UPS, just like the Teamsters, are just a business making decisions.
The relation between a company and it's Union employees is based on the principle that the employees negotiate collectively through the Union Management.
If the Teamsters tells UPS this is what our employees want then that's the way it is.

MC4YOU2

I don't know why you think that ... I don't.
UPS, just like the Teamsters, are just a business making decisions.
The relation between a company and it's Union employees is based on the principle that the employees negotiate collectively through the Union Management.
If the Teamsters tells UPS this is what our employees want then that's the way it is.

Yes! And the Part Timers can always vote "No." I, as a former PTer, never though of it as being shafted as you stated by the FT drivers. I knew my time would come, as it did. You act as if they are a powerless lot, and I'm not buying it. UPS has still unfulfilled 22.3 positions that would further level the field, negotiated by the Teamsters. The FT, voted that in too. UPS is cheating the PTers to this day. UPS is far more than complicit, in that case. Like I said, plenty of blame all around. Not just FT drivers and the Teamsters.