Could Amazon and Uber Finally Dethrone FedEx and UPS?

Returntosender

The other ominous threat is the emergence of ride-sharing services, especially Uber. These allow a person — via a smartphone — to “hail” a car for a ride. The drivers use their own vehicles (which are tracked in real-time on the app) and get a piece of the fee, which is connected to the customer’s credit card. It’s a super convenient, capital-light approach to the traditional taxi business. According to Uber CEO and founder Travis Kalanick: ”Why couldn’t this be used for delivery of products too? Uber has already been testing this out with having drivers send ice cream, Christmas trees and roses to customers.

http://investorplace.com/ipo-playbook/uber-killing-fields-fedex-ups/#.UsfX7Zp3uUk

Indecisi0n

Overloaded_Jetta1280199993.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The other ominous threat is the emergence of ride-sharing services, especially Uber. These allow a person — via a smartphone — to “hail” a car for a ride. The drivers use their own vehicles (which are tracked in real-time on the app) and get a piece of the fee, which is connected to the customer’s credit card. It’s a super convenient, capital-light approach to the traditional taxi business. According to Uber CEO and founder Travis Kalanick: ”Why couldn’t this be used for delivery of products too? Uber has already been testing this out with having drivers send ice cream, Christmas trees and roses to customers.

http://investorplace.com/ipo-playbook/uber-killing-fields-fedex-ups/#.UsfX7Zp3uUk
Über (I believe we are talking about the same app) prices go up the busier they get. I don't see amazon paying a massive premium during Xmas.

upschuck

Not true. When FedEx HD began, they tried that same angle.
It is true...no DOT card needed to drive vehicle rated 10,000 lbs or below. Not considered a commercial vehicle, no DOT card needed.. I know what I am talking about. Here is the definition of a CMV from the FMSCA:

http://fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.5

FedEx may require the card to drive it, but not the government. UPS has protocols for driving without a card, for the small PCs Most are over 10,000 lbs now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Reminds me of a Toyota Corolla I saw with a full pallet of something strapped to the roof that made it nearly 200 miles on the I-10 until they got to central Phoenix where the DPS stopped them.

One of the first things I learned while stationed in Texas was not to mess with the DPS. They make most State Troopers look like rental cops.

bbsam

Staff member
It is true...no DOT card needed to drive vehicle rated 10,000 lbs or below. Not considered a commercial vehicle, no DOT card needed.. I know what I am talking about. Here is the definition of a CMV from the FMSCA:

http://fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.5

FedEx may require the card to drive it, but not the government. UPS has protocols for driving without a card, for the small PCs Most are over 10,000 lbs now.
I understand what you are saying. All I'm saying is that if FedEx could have gotten away with it, they would have. Things get complicated with government, insurance, etc. Every vehicle at Fedex including my 2013 F150 has a DOT number on it. I doubt this model will last long witbout similar DOT involvement.

upschuck

I understand what you are saying. All I'm saying is that if FedEx could have gotten away with it, they would have. Things get complicated with government, insurance, etc. Every vehicle at Fedex including my 2013 F150 has a DOT number on it. I doubt this model will last long witbout similar DOT involvement.
Some states require them, some don't....driver no, if under weight.

Mack Grant

All this talk of someone dethroning UPS or Fedex for that matter is just silly talk. Flying drones, taxi cab deliveries, what's next crop duster pilots driver releasing your package in a nearby field?
Why is Amazon seen as such a threat to UPS? When's the last time Amazon made a profit?
The day Lasership or some drone delivery army overtakes tens of thousands professional service providers backed by several hundred thousand teamster members will be a cold day in hell.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about the U-Hauls that UPS rents during Peak? I know that we put the placard on the side but are these vehicles required to have a DOT number displayed?

upschuck