Could Fedex survived without having going public??

DontThrowPackages

For you Econ majors, where would fedex be now had it remained a private company? A friend of my said the stock market is a glorified Ponzi racket bleeding companies to, continue year after year, produce profit in the name of dividends even if it means dipping into the pockets of the employees of the company. Doing more work in less time used to mean a nice BPP payout at the end of every month, now it goes to the stockholders. Christmas bonuses, bi-yearly raises, even monthly BBQ all gone and theoretically given to shareholders. Top pay used to take 3 years to get to now guys with 16 years in the company still aren't there because it was given to the shareholders. Just curious....

TUT

1. Why not get in on it? ;)

2. Fedex probably had no choice, when you get really big, there are things that kick in that can force you on the market. See Facebook. That said, they probably wanted on it all along.

TUT

If I could afford to believe me I would, along with alot of other things.

There is always a way to put aside a few dollars, tons of rags to riches. But you do that one in front of "a lot of other things" because that is the one that could afford you to do "a lot of other things". Now I'm not talking a 401K type investment, I'm talking about you becoming a trader. As you're putting money asside, start watching stocks, etc to get a feel, there are places to go you play with fake money to get a feel for it all. Don't you wonder how so many people can afford all these great houses by the millions etc and have 50K cars? Most of it is not from their day jobs.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
For you Econ majors, where would fedex be now had it remained a private company?

Growth would have been delayed and/or smaller in size.

A friend of my said the stock market is a glorified Ponzi racket bleeding companies to, continue year after year, produce profit in the name of dividends even if it means dipping into the pockets of the employees of the company.

Your friend needs his head examined. The stock market is a gamble; all companies seek to produce profit year after year. That goes for Walmart, IBM, FedEx, and Elmer's Bait Shop.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Your friend needs his head examined. The stock market is a gamble; all companies seek to produce profit year after year. That goes for Walmart, IBM, FedEx, and Elmer's Bait Shop.
Yeah so the stock market's a gamble......so what else is new? But you're sidestepping the point entirely. (They seem to teach that art well down in Fredville.) Ask any midrange employee where the big profits go. One clue, it ain't in the employees pockets.

DontThrowPackages

Its impossible for a company to grow year after, the mathematics bare that out. At some point there comes a time when looking between the couch cushions and coat pockets no longer produces anything. We all know most companies motto is, "enough is never enough" and we except it. It's just seems this one was doing just fine before the IPO and borrowing from banks rather than a shareholder was enough.

59 Dano

Yeah so the stock market's a gamble......so what else is new? But you're sidestepping the point entirely. (They seem to teach that art well down in Fredville.) Ask any midrange employee where the big profits go. One clue, it ain't in the employees pockets.

He asked where the company would be sans the IPO. I gave an answer that addressed it directly. Maybe you weren't paying attention.

59 Dano

It's just seems this one was doing just fine before the IPO and borrowing from banks rather than a shareholder was enough.

The IPO was in 1978 IIRC and it provided a lot of money to help finance a lot of growth and expansion. There's only so much borrowing from a bank that you can do, and shares are sold to shareholders; money isn't borrowed from them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The IPO was in 1978 IIRC and it provided a lot of money to help finance a lot of growth and expansion. There's only so much borrowing from a bank that you can do, and shares are sold to shareholders; money isn't borrowed from them.

My, for the "average employee", you are certainly full of every fact and figure about FedEx.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
He asked where the company would be sans the IPO. I gave an answer that addressed it directly. Maybe you weren't paying attention.
I was replying to this:
For you Econ majors, where would fedex be now had it remained a private company? A friend of my said the stock market is a glorified Ponzi racket bleeding companies to, continue year after year, produce profit in the name of dividends even if it means dipping into the pockets of the employees of the company. Doing more work in less time used to mean a nice BPP payout at the end of every month, now it goes to the stockholders. Christmas bonuses, bi-yearly raises, even monthly BBQ all gone and theoretically given to shareholders. Top pay used to take 3 years to get to now guys with 16 years in the company still aren't there because it was given to the shareholders. Just curious....
Not the effing IPO. You need to pay attention!!!!