Could Franchise Labor Ruling Effect FedEx Ground Franchise Model?

bbsam

Staff member
Now what are the chances that in awaiting this ruling, the Teamsters have been ramping up organizing efforts and will be at the front gate when I get to work in the morning?

Bounty

For some maybe. I think it's a long time coming and the company needs to be forced into some changes.
Don't you think this hurts the value of "your business". You better hope the fool who is going to buy these scams doesn't due his due diligence.

It will be fine

Don't you think this hurts the value of "your business". You better hope the fool who is going to buy these scams doesn't due his due diligence.
Obviously you didn't.
Anyway, this ruling sounds pretty extreme and the issue likely won't end here. For arguments sake though, if it holds up, what then? I guess my employees could unionize and then have the teamsters negotiate with FedEx over compensation. That doesn't seem like a worthwhile use of the teamsters time. The teamsters have always been able to organize my drivers, they just never try, I imagine there is a reason for that. They have always been able to organize the handlers in the building, but I've never heard of that happening anywhere. They can't even get Freight organized and that has an easily defined employment relationship.
It may be a problem at some point, but there will need to be clarification on the standards of what constitutes a joint-employer. Like always, we'll see.

bacha29

Having an effect on FXG operations wiil take time No doubt the defendents will appeal this matter to the US. courts. It will bring more pressure on the FXG ISP model might require the company to once again modify it's model and if and when it does the contractor will suffer. FX never has and never will place any priority on preserving contractor equity. Shareholder equity and the stock price is all that matters to them

TUT

"The Democratic-majority board, whose members were appointed by President Barack Obama, ruled 3-2 along partisan lines, with the two Republicans dissenting. "

This happens regularly and we still have poor worker that supports republicans and their schemes as it isn't real. They are doing whatever they can to keep your self interests down.

A reporter asks Sanders... "Why does the middle-class vote against their best interest?". Bernie stars off with... "That is a good question" and continues on.

The reason why McD franchises was to stop organization. So they had mom/pop buy it and hire workers. Butt face it... McD reports quarterly to Wall Street on all restaurants. It is one big ass company, no reason for us to kid ourselves, we know what it is. But then the lobbying and loop-holing start to kick in, to keep the middle class down as cheaply as possible.

It's simple how things get to where they are corps hire and pay these people well, that is their job, it isn't a go home and fight for the good cause on my own time, because "we need it", that is why they win. They have people paid and measured by their success, these people don't feel they are doing anything wrong because that is their paid job. Versus US who would actually be that group of people that after their day job, would have to go home spend extra non-paid time to fight the cause. So that is how it happens, it's completely unfair simply due to job vs unpaid hobby. They are more organized only because it is a paid job for their people. And also that is why you need a gov't, those are the paid people to keep the play field balanced. It needs to be re-balanced again and those really rich people.... they know it deep down. I get it is hard to give up greenbacks.

I also feel there are very rich people that would be ok with it, some talk out from time to time in understanding and support. The reason why companies do what they do is because they have to keep up with other companies. Wall Street demands it, simply that, it isn't a choice by a lot of CEO's they are down right forced to compete not only in their sector but all publicly traded companies. So gov't has to reset rules, limit Wall Street/Shareholder power, that effects all companies, so they aren't pitted against one another on their race to the bottom, they can loosen up because all companies would be under the same rules.

TUT

For some maybe. I think it's a long time coming and the company needs to be forced into some changes.

Right and when this is done we gain wisdom. We hear about in the past of pendulums swinging one way and then the other. In this case, with our living it, we will see what we've been told all along.... in action.

I'm not mad at anyone overall, it is how it works, people push limits all ways and when it goes too far for too long, adjustments are made. Some middle class will be better off for it, some not as much, but in genera the middle class is better off, that alone makes me feel better even if it isn't me. Otherwise I'm no better than greedy Wall Street.

You can call up tons of corporations and run 10 year stock charts, there is no reason to feel sad for them. They've cleaned house and forgot about trickle.

bbsam

Staff member
Obviously you didn't.
Anyway, this ruling sounds pretty extreme and the issue likely won't end here. For arguments sake though, if it holds up, what then? I guess my employees could unionize and then have the teamsters negotiate with FedEx over compensation. That doesn't seem like a worthwhile use of the teamsters time. The teamsters have always been able to organize my drivers, they just never try, I imagine there is a reason for that. They have always been able to organize the handlers in the building, but I've never heard of that happening anywhere. They can't even get Freight organized and that has an easily defined employment relationship.
It may be a problem at some point, but there will need to be clarification on the standards of what constitutes a joint-employer. Like always, we'll see.
The Teamsters won't just organize your drivers. They will organize every driver for every OC/ISP. We'll worth their time.

bbsam

Staff member
Right and when this is done we gain wisdom. We hear about in the past of pendulums swinging one way and then the other. In this case, with our living it, we will see what we've been told all along.... in action.

I'm not mad at anyone overall, it is how it works, people push limits all ways and when it goes too far for too long, adjustments are made. Some middle class will be better off for it, some not as much, but in genera the middle class is better off, that alone makes me feel better even if it isn't me. Otherwise I'm no better than greedy Wall Street.

You can call up tons of corporations and run 10 year stock charts, there is no reason to feel sad for them. They've cleaned house and forgot about trickle.
It was never going to trickle.

It will be fine

The Teamsters won't just organize your drivers. They will organize every driver for every OC/ISP. We'll worth their time.
They'd still have to organize company by company. They couldn't just get 51% of a terminal. There would be a lot of drivers that aren't interested. It would be messy, I just don't see them taking on the challenge anytime soon.