Could self driving trucks make the union a lot less powerful?

Packmule

50 years from now all of life will have changed. Primarily why they recommend the young stay in school, go to college, and focus on science and technology degrees. The days when all blue collar labor will be replaced by geeks at computers is looming.
That's why I try to encourage those grandkiddies! As for me 50 years from now, I plan to be in a much better place! John 3:16

bluebiker

Closed in private area---same load every time----same route all day long---same stops all day long -same -same--same. UPS is a totally different ballgame. It will NEVER happen at UPS. UPS will always need a scape-goat to blame when things go wrong -----other than themselves.

But it's a start, look at cell phones, 25 yrs ago you had a phone in a bag, then they got smaller, then they put cameras in them, now they're miniature computers.

As far as a scapegoat, (that was one of the skills you listed on your UPS job application right?) UPS will just blame the geek running the program.

bluebiker

The railroads do not have self driving trains. And all they do is go or stop. The public will not allow self driving trucks.

They have self driving monorail shuttles at Newark Airport. The technology is coming, ask elevator operators, no more switchboard operators. That "press 1 for Sales, Press 2 for Service, etc. has eliminate a lot of jobs.

I knew someone who worked for a telecommunications company he was telling me a story that they got the automated phone system and got rid of the receptionist. Then they had no one to sign for package deliveries.

oldngray

nowhere special
Monorail is on a closed track monitored by a guy in an office. As much as UPS would love to have center manager's watch automated delivery vehicles the same way it is not even close to the same situation.

bluebiker

Monorail is on a closed track monitored by a guy in an office. As much as UPS would love to have center manager's watch automated delivery vehicles the same way it is not even close to the same situation.

The quarry trucks are monitored by an office sometimes hundreds of miles away. If there was going to be driverless trucks I'm sure it would start with a feeder operation. Maybe it would go from sending gate to receiving gate and then a human would move it around the yard. I doubt if I'll see it in my lifetime, but my son might.

PT Car Washer

And there are drone aircraft that are monitored on the other side of the world. When they take the pilots out of Passenger and fright aircraft I will start to consider the possibility of driverless trucks.

Packmule

Someday it will get to this, maybe in 50 years as stated. Hard to imagine any computer being able to adjust to the many variables we deal with everyday as drivers, but who knows? Sounds scary to me, but I'm sure my forefather's would have been frightened out of their wits at what we have today.
Thing to remember is, how many people die every year in traffic accidents in this country because of human error? Can an occasional computer error be any worse?
Computers aren't texting on a dumb cell phone instead of watching the road!
Will happen eventually, but I think it is still a long ways off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Spending money on those things are new innovations. Yet they spend fortunes on GPS and tracking systems.

You don't think the company isn't constantly looking for ways to improve, which would include new innovations? (BTW, is there such a thing as an old innovation?)

Sadly, Telematics, GPS and tracking systems are necessary evils not exclusive to UPS and are proven money-savers.

oldngray

nowhere special
You don't think the company isn't constantly looking for ways to improve, which would include new innovations? (BTW, is there such a thing as an old innovation?)

Sadly, Telematics, GPS and tracking systems are necessary evils not exclusive to UPS and are proven money-savers.

Most of the savings for UPS is using the new technology as an excuse to cut out routes and the real savings is from running fewer routes. Since the numbers UPS uses are bogus it just means those fewer drivers are working more hours. Then you get the disaster of last peak.

doolittle95

Self driving cars are going to mainstream in the near future. Which means self driving trucks could be in the future. If a truck drives your entire route for you. UPS might not think its okay to pay drivers as much. UPS driving is hard, but this would make it so any off the street person could start up at ups with not much actual skill.

Like the union could still exist but with a lot less negotiating power?
LMFAO!!