could this be a case of falsification of records

rod

Retired 22 years
Believe me I am not throwing the driver under the bus. The original poster isn't mad that someone in their "gated community" would steal their irreplacable pictures and gifts. They are looking at what the driver must have done wrong.

Are these people still taking pictures on Kodak film? Who doesn't have their pictures stored on the camera or computer if they are so important?

You mean I'm out of touch with my Instamatic with Flash Cubes?

[video=youtube;Ffbe5xQBPYQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffbe5xQBPYQ[/video]

Last edited:

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
I can't believe how many of you are throwing the driver under the bus. Makes me ill....

Agree 100%.
I have dealt with too many of these consignees claiming non-receipt. They know the UPS system and how to use it to their advantage.
Very curious to know what happens...

born2Bwild

Gated community definition - In its modern form, a gated community is a form of residential community or housing estate containing strictly-controlled entrances for pedestrians, bicycles, and automobiles, and often characterized by a closed perimeter of walls and fences

Gated communities, usually called guard-gated communities, are staffed by private security guards/ Some gated communities are secure enough to resemble fortresses and are intended as such.

By his own words - gated community - can't get a better description of a good DR than this.... Unless it really isn't a gated community...
We're not talking about a large urban area with apartment buildings that don't have locked doors.
Watch sometime "HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY" and you will see a real gated community!!!

Seriously, was package sent - signature required?
Ok here is my response:
whether it is a gated or non gated, safe or non safe does that entitle us to forge customer signatures. signature required or not does not really matters, what matters is that the package was signed by the customer when was 3 states away. This is the issue here.
The reason I posted this thread here is really for two reasons:
1- to give the driver the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to see if there is any other explanation as to why his signature appeared. Maybe, just maybe the driver beamed himself from Los Angeles CA area to Denver CO and had the customer signed and beamed himself back. As of this post no one has presented strong argument that this is not a case of Falsification of record.
2- for many if any of you who practice this habit what we can learn from this is this: once you are caught signing customer names don't expect to present them with a convincing reason and you will stand to loose you job!!
I don't want justice ( your earlier post). If I wanted justice I would provide my friend with the name of the driver involved, name of his manager, his district even his regional manager and encourage her to write to them. I am an insider, I am a driver remember?. so what I wanted is : understanding, that if you walked in crooked ways sooner or later it will come back to hunt you.
Integrity is what I do from the moment that I check in until I check out. I like the majority of you by far here get offended when I hear or read reports by someone who tarnished the reputation that we work so hard to establish. When some one forges the signature of customer that is fraud and will make people elect other courier to send their packages. people have option that they did not have earlier.
IN CONCLUSION: UPS has closed this claim and agreed to pay. the sad thing about this is that the driver will continue doing what he is doing, generate costly claims and ruins our reputations. Result of this claim an architect in a major architect firm and an account executive from cable company think differently of us now.

born2Bwild

I see a lot of holes in this whole story. Why would you send pictures and some gifts sig required? Obviously the people don't know the driver so why would he take a short cut for them?

If I were the driver, regardless of whether the tracer is resolved favorably or not, these people would never get another package without having to sign for them.

I hope the original poster tells us how this turns out because it kind of annoys me that they are placing blame on the driver. Obviously he didn't steal their pictures.

It is not a time saver to sign for someone's package, it is just as easy to slap a delivery notice on the door.If anything, the driver's only mistake was trusting the area and trying to get the package delivered.
Do you have any other explanation as to why cust. signature appeared when he was out of state? gated community, the neighbors don't know him, his name is not an easy one too. I give the driver benefit of doubt. We really don't care what annoy you. don't post if it annoy you.....simple

born2Bwild

I don't think anyone is implying that the driver signed for and then kept the pkg. If I were a betting man (and I am) I would bet that he knew that he was in a gated community delivering to an end unit and decided to take a short cut by signing for and then leaving the pkg. He probably figured that the consignee was probably at work and would be home that evening and had no way of knowing that he was actually 3 states away at the time.

I am also curious as to how this turns out.
agree I am not accusing the dr. of taking the package at all

Re-Raise

Do you have any other explanation as to why cust. signature appeared when he was out of state? gated community, the neighbors don't know him, his name is not an easy one too. I give the driver benefit of doubt. We really don't care what annoy you. don't post if it annoy you.....simple

Have the police had any luck catching the picture thief ?

If you were really a driver you would have tracked it yourself and would have had no need to post this here.

You would already know how the tracer process works as well.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Ok here is my response:
whether it is a gated or non gated, safe or non safe does that entitle us to forge customer signatures. signature required or not does not really matters, what matters is that the package was signed by the customer when was 3 states away. This is the issue here.
The reason I posted this thread here is really for two reasons:
1- to give the driver the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to see if there is any other explanation as to why his signature appeared. Maybe, just maybe the driver beamed himself from Los Angeles CA area to Denver CO and had the customer signed and beamed himself back. As of this post no one has presented strong argument that this is not a case of Falsification of record.
2- for many if any of you who practice this habit what we can learn from this is this: once you are caught signing customer names don't expect to present them with a convincing reason and you will stand to loose you job!!
I don't want justice ( your earlier post). If I wanted justice I would provide my friend with the name of the driver involved, name of his manager, his district even his regional manager and encourage her to write to them. I am an insider, I am a driver remember?. so what I wanted is : understanding, that if you walked in crooked ways sooner or later it will come back to hunt you.
Integrity is what I do from the moment that I check in until I check out. I like the majority of you by far here get offended when I hear or read reports by someone who tarnished the reputation that we work so hard to establish. When some one forges the signature of customer that is fraud and will make people elect other courier to send their packages. people have option that they did not have earlier.
IN CONCLUSION: UPS has closed this claim and agreed to pay. the sad thing about this is that the driver will continue doing what he is doing, generate costly claims and ruins our reputations. Result of this claim an architect in a major architect firm and an account executive from cable company think differently of us now.

1. How are you giving the driver the benefit of the doubt - did you talk to him personally - is he on this site??? Why would you be giving him the benefit of the doubt - your a third party.

2. UPS will pay the claim - up to $100 unless it was insured and proof of the value will have to be provided along with the invoice made out to UPS.
This does not mean the driver falsified the records - it just means UPS can not match signature of this delivery with any past deliveries and UPS is not able to locate where package might of been mis-delivered.

Any complaints made above center level always are sent back to center to respond - usually handled by an OMS. But your a driver, so you should know this.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Do you have any other explanation as to why cust. signature appeared when he was out of state? gated community, the neighbors don't know him, his name is not an easy one too. I give the driver benefit of doubt.

Well at least 2 possibilities are; a. The customer is being dishonest and is trying to get paid after actually receiving the package. or b. A person that is neither the customer or the driver in question received the package and the customer is making the claim as though it is the driver being dishonest.
I have had tracers that when I went back to verify, the customers would become evasive and make stuff up, even at signature stops. It happens. Drivers have done what you allege as well, but you asked for another possible explanation. If I am delivering a signature stop and the customer has an unusual name I will note it as they are signing and clarify it as such even if it is completely illegible, and although I try to be perfect I might assume the person signing is the one named on the package when in fact it is a roommate or relative with a totally different name. Maybe even when the actual customer is three states away. Or pretending to be.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Well at least 2 possibilities are; a. The customer is being dishonest and is trying to get paid after actually receiving the package. or b. A person that is neither the customer or the driver in question received the package and the customer is making the claim as though it is the driver being dishonest.
I have had tracers that when I went back to verify, the customers would become evasive and make stuff up, even at signature stops. It happens. Drivers have done what you allege as well, but you asked for another possible explanation. If I am delivering a signature stop and the customer has an unusual name I will note it as they are signing and clarify it as such even if it is completely illegible, and although I try to be perfect I might assume the person signing is the one named on the package when in fact it is a roommate or relative with a totally different name. Maybe even when the actual customer is three states away. Or pretending to be.

This is what I have been trying to say. Too many customers know the UPS system - and here we have a driver who is friends with the shipper.
I am an insider, I am a driver remember?. Could this be a case of insider information???

ddomino

Another possibility is that the driver indirected the package and did not indicate a "left at" in the DIAD.

If you inadvertantly key the "stop complete" button prior to keying in the "left at" button, you cannot go back and change it.

The idiots who intentionally disabled the "edit" feature can be thanked for this.

The original post says "...was signed and received according to the records by her fiancee." Meaning the signature was that of her fiancee.

Also, I remember the Company saying you can't edit anymore because customers said we (the drivers) were going back into a stop and adding packages. Yes I know there are still many other ways we could add packages if we wanted to.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "idiots" responded because some Liars misused the (edit) feature.

I personally know the situation......The story I heard is that the final decision was made by the management committee. Cal Darden, I believe made the decision. Many people argued to leave it alone, but he was tired of hearing about the abuses.....

P-Man

We also had some "liars" in management that were editing timecards in order to shave hours and manipulate SPORH.

Did we eliminate the ability of management to edit timecards? No...editing timecards is a legitimate and necessary administrative function.

What we did...was add a level of accountability to the processs by requiring timecard edits to be signed off on by the affected employee.

The idiots who disabled the "edit" feature in the DIAD did so from behind the comfort of a desk, with no concern for the effect that the decision would have on those of use who actually do the job in the real world.

A better solution...would have been to put a time limit on edits (within 2 minutes of hitting stop complete) or prohibit the adding of additional packages. Or, we could cause all DIAD edits to create a paper trail that the driver would have to sign off on, just like timecard edits.

This would add accountability and prevent abuses, while still allowing us to correct bona fide data entry errors without recreating the entire stop.

I have had situations where I scanned over 100 pieces that weighed almost 2 tons and stacked them on pallets. If I accidentally mis-key "residential" instead of "commercial" and hit stop complete...there is no way to correct this other than to void all 100 packages, void the stop, break down the entire pile and start over. Sorry, aint gonna happen.

soberups

Also, I remember the Company saying you can't edit anymore because customers said we (the drivers) were going back into a stop and adding packages. Yes I know there are still many other ways we could add packages if we wanted to.

We could put restrictions on the edit capabilities without completely disabling the feature.

There is a big difference between adding packages and simply correcting a mis-keyed "left at" adress or delivery type (residential vs. commercial.)

Unfortunately, the idiots who made this decision arent capable of grasping such concepts, and their solution was to simply cut the entire eraser off of the pencil.

Re-Raise

We really don't care what annoy you. don't post if it annoy you.....simple

Who is this "WE" that you speak of?

As a driver ..... you obviously know how the tracer process works right?

The driver returns to the delivery location with a copy of the tracking number, signature, and the time , day, and now the GPS stamp that shows the details of the delivery.

Any questions your dissatisfied friend may have should be answered by the driver when he shows up to have the tracer signed by him indicating the package wasn't recieved.

But you would rather come on here and accuse one of your fellow drivers of dishonesty.

You aren't a UPS driver and you still annoy me.

tieguy

Banned
We also had some "liars" in management that were editing timecards in order to shave hours and manipulate SPORH.

Did we eliminate the ability of management to edit timecards? No...editing timecards is a legitimate and necessary administrative function.

What we did...was add a level of accountability to the processs by requiring timecard edits to be signed off on by the affected employee.

The idiots who disabled the "edit" feature in the DIAD did so from behind the comfort of a desk, with no concern for the effect that the decision would have on those of use who actually do the job in the real world.

A better solution...would have been to put a time limit on edits (within 2 minutes of hitting stop complete) or prohibit the adding of additional packages. Or, we could cause all DIAD edits to create a paper trail that the driver would have to sign off on, just like timecard edits.

This would add accountability and prevent abuses, while still allowing us to correct bona fide data entry errors without recreating the entire stop.

I have had situations where I scanned over 100 pieces that weighed almost 2 tons and stacked them on pallets. If I accidentally mis-key "residential" instead of "commercial" and hit stop complete...there is no way to correct this other than to void all 100 packages, void the stop, break down the entire pile and start over. Sorry, aint gonna happen.

you sound so angry. have you ever sat down with your management folks to tell them how you feel or do you save it all for the brown cafe?

soberups

you sound so angry. have you ever sat down with your management folks to tell them how you feel or do you save it all for the brown cafe?

Why waste time sharing anger with a puppet?

I dont blame the messenger.

I would welcome the opportunity some day to sit down and have a discussion with a decision maker....but such people are few and far between and are conveniently absent from the day-to-day operations that they oversee.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!

Timecards approve by themselves. The only timecards that are edited are those that do not approve - they are errors. most common errors - invalid vehicle #; mileage incorrect; cover driver forgets to enter his/her name & employee # into diad; driver has 2 diads - have to combine into 1 timecard, etc.
I guess if they take away the ability to correct these timecards then driver would be responsible for errors he/she inputs into diad - and as a result would not paid.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
Why waste time sharing anger with a puppet?

I dont blame the messenger.

I would welcome the opportunity some day to sit down and have a discussion with a decision maker....but such people are few and far between and are conveniently absent from the day-to-day operations that they oversee.

the natural question in response would be why whine here about a puppet?

soberups

the natural question in response would be why whine here about a puppet?

I'm not "whining"...I'm pointing out flaws in the current system that we have and suggesting better ways of doing it.

I am under no illusion that it will do any good.

If I follow your logic to its ultimate conclusion then there is no point in ever posting anything on Brown Cafe at all, since to do so constitutes "whining".

My management team doesnt get to decide how many cars to dispatch. They dont get to decide upon an appropriate SPORH for our center based upon local conditions. They dont get to decide how many or what type of package cars we need, they dont get to decide whether or not a timestudy for a particular route needs to be corrected, they dont get to decide whether or not to improve/enlarge our facility, they dont get to decide what their monthly quota of warning letters should be, and they dont get to decide which bit of Telematics data is going to be the corporate flavor of the week.

If your point is that I should be bringing my concerns to my local management team, my question would be...why should I even bother?