Could use some help w/ grievance

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Wondering if anyone could help me word and tell me article/section to file a grievance on route coverage. I bid to cover a route this week and am being forced to run a different route while a less senior driver takes the run I bid on. Asked one of our stewards tonite and he didn't seem very knowledgeable about it :sad-little: Any help you guys could give would be awesome. Thanx

over9five

Staff member
It sounds as though it may be an area knowledge issue.

I'm sure it is but if a senior man bid the route, tough luck. They send people out blind all the time. Hell, the supervisor could get off his butt and train the other guy.

Seniority rules, the OP has a grievance.

PS, get rid of that shop steward.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think in our supplement, it is covered on pgs 214, or somewhere very close. It is a seniority issue, though. They try this crap all the time here. I keep nudging a couple of friends who were getting hosed because they didn't have "area knowledge". Well, if the on-car would take his heels off the printer and train these guys, they would have area knowledge. A couple of smart comments in front of the right people later, and these guys were getting trained on the areas that they couldn't drive two weeks before. Also, they would try this with runners. Finally, the senior casuals started grieving. You need to, also. I will look fro my contract and find the supplement in my area that works.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In our supplement (New England), the contract firmly states 'Any employee working outside their bid job will be returned to their bid job before anyone else is offered work in that classification (seniority, new hire, casual)' , something very close to that anyway.

look for that type of language.

Seniority prevails. I was burned the same way by having to know half the center while some fresh out of the hub goofball who couldn`t tie his own shoes only did two routes. We were assigned routes,there was no bid. Eventually the other multi-route driver and I both put our foot down and started exercising our seniority and took days off leaving them with their one route wonders. Eventually they had know choice but to train.