Countdown to hottest day in 5 years in Georgia

Dragon

Package Center Manager

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Can't take breaks in tennis when you want - it's a league.

My DSLR camera will shut down when it gets too hot.
I have learned to take a large thermos bag with frozen packs in it so I can put my camera in there.

Be careful of condensation!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Be careful of condensation!

You got it.
A couple of times, the front of the lens fogged up.
I only do that when I'm shooting outside in direct sunshine and its hot.
It's mainly the sensor and display over-heating so I put the back on top of a hand towel on top of the ice packs.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Yea who cares if some teamster gets heat stroke he's making 31.44 an hour he is a professional.

I am already hearing about drivers calling in friday.....really won't matter about SPC...routes will be cut because we will not have enough drivers anyway.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I am already hearing about drivers calling in friday.....really won't matter about SPC...routes will be cut because we will not have enough drivers anyway.
When management only enforces attendance issues when they need people, not when they let 5-7 people go home a day, this is what results. Management will never be able to justify discipline even on people who are out of option days when they let "deal makers" go home three times the amount of days. This is the prime example of why I don't have a single problem calling out using my contractual days.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
When management only enforces attendance issues when they need people, not when they let 5-7 people go home a day, this is what results. Management will never be able to justify discipline even on people who are out of option days when they let "deal makers" go home three times the amount of days. This is the prime example of why I don't have a single problem calling out using my contractual days.

All employee's are expected to report every day. If 5-7 people go home a day that means every route is covered and we can let people go home. If you do not report that is when the discipline starts...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It'll be interesting monday morning when I'm questioned by my Oncar for being over allowed on Friday.
I'm certain to be on the "5 Least Best " list,and it will be a big chuckle fest when he tells me he knows it's hot,but can i try and improve my performance?

At least we got a little break with the wind today, even if it was just blowing hot air around. They will hand us a warm bottle of water in our PCM and tell us to stay hydrated. We are short on drivers too with the vacation schedule and a few quitting, so I expect to be loaded up. Gottem for ten hours today, its gonna be a long week.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
All employee's are expected to report every day. If 5-7 people go home a day that means every route is covered and we can let people go home. If you do not report that is when the discipline starts...
When all no works are coded out as unscheduled day off and lackluster book keeping concerning attendance, I have yet to see anyone get more than a verbal warning. We even had a guy get a verbal talking to right in front of everyone and was sent home for the day because they "over dispatched " his route and they wanted a runner gunner on it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
When all no works are coded out as unscheduled day off and lackluster book keeping concerning attendance, I have yet to see anyone get more than a verbal warning. We even had a guy get a verbal talking to right in front of everyone and was sent home for the day because they "over dispatched " his route and they wanted a runner gunner on it.

unscheduled day off and lay off have already been agreed to as a day off by mutual agreement. Call in - is a different matter.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
At least we got a little break with the wind today, even if it was just blowing hot air around. They will hand us a warm bottle of water in our PCM and tell us to stay hydrated. We are short on drivers too with the vacation schedule and a few quitting, so I expect to be loaded up. Gottem for ten hours today, its gonna be a long week.

i had 10 hrs yesterday, 9 today and i'm guessing around 9 hours or so tomorrow and Thursday. Since i am on the 9.5 list i'll be loaded down Friday.makes the gatorade taste better!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why call in on a hot day. Might as well work. I'm sure not gonna stay home and do yard work. It's like missing work because of a hangover. Ill feel like crap on company time.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
unscheduled day off and lay off have already been agreed to as a day off by mutual agreement. Call in - is a different matter.
Perhaps I haven't been clear. When someone like a "deal maker/mutual agreement" whatever you want to call it, calls in when they have say 6 "unscheduled" days off in the last month, how can you discipline him for attendance by your definition. When legitimate people such as myself call out, combined with the culture of "deal making", days such as Friday is what you get. You can't punish me of course, and since you code that one guy that has had "multiple days off by agreement" as a call in, that won't matter to that person either. It's the culture that has been allowed to perpetuate the problem and go unchecked until it adversely effects management.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why call in on a hot day. Might as well work. I'm sure not gonna stay home and do yard work. It's like missing work because of a hangover. Ill feel like crap on company time.
Because it would be a three day weekend and hangovers feel better while in the pool, not in a pool of sweat.