Country route - First time

averageguy

Just did my first country pull yesterday, I honestly can say that after doing 3 years in the city.. I prefer country runs now. It seems so much calmer, more miles in-between stops and clear streets.. Man I was flying, the wind.. No noise.. Too far away from the building to be secretly stalked by sups, I love everything about it. Besides the bugs, they were freakin' huge.

Other than that I'd like to know from people who usually do country pulls, do you have any cons? Since it was my first time and I had only about 140 stops (+2 pickups) and around 80 or so miles, I don't know if that's light for that type of pull or not so I don't really know how to judge it. All I know is if that is the norm' I am def' making the switch when my time comes.

over9five

Staff member
Don't know where you're at, but if you have WINTER there, be prepared! Have those tire chains and know how to use them. When you get stuck, you're a long way from anything!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Like Ovah said, winters can be rough in the country. Spring, summer and fall more than make up for it though.

WorknLateHuh

Country routes are so much more mellow. I don't have 1, but cover some on occasion, lovem. I know guys that go out with 65 stops/110 pieces out in the boonies. I say to em "65 stops? dmn, you got a good day." They look at me in all seriousness and say, "65 stops, i'm over 10. 5 to 6 miles imbetween some stops on dirt roads."

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
First thing I would tell you, is stop flying. What's your rush? If you get comfortable flying around, it will only be a matter of time before you wreck 'flying'.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We have a few routes in my building that only have 30-40 stops and 350 miles. They go out with company gas cards. I've covered a few country routes. We have rough winters over here and a lot of rutted dirt roads. Get yourself a comfy cushion for your butt and maybe a kidney belt. If you cover one in the winter, don't be afraid to EC streets you're not comfortable with. Most times of the year a country route is better on your body...but you suck a lot of dust up, get lots of bugs and a few shotguns to your face. And dogs too.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
80 miles isn't really a "country" route. Gotta be 150 at least around here. I prefer the ones closer to 250.

Winter can suck. When u call in that your stuck at 7 then need someone to come get u so u don't go over 14 and the wrecker still doesn't have your truck out u know your in the boonies.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
80 miles? You need to be close to that when your air is done to qualify. Like was said before at least 150 to 200 before you can call it a "country run". My advice to everyone is ill take 200 miles over 200 stops any day.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The hardest part of the country runs for me is learning which driveways you can and cant turn around in...and by driveways I mean quarter mile dirt driveways in the woods that take 15 minutes each to walk off. If you dont get a lot of heat for back afters or long backing its not as big of a deal but since telematics those long blind driveways are harder.

I like every season in the country. It's the only place to be as far as I'm concerned. People are nicer, not a lot of hot women to hurt your neck looking at and beautiful scenery all year around.

averageguy

200+ miles.. wow okay, 80 miles is alot for me as I usually barely hit 20 sometimes in the city so I guess it doesn't qualify as a country run. It's alot more rural than what I'm used too though. I wasn't aware winter was so bad either, how exactly are the tire chains used? I've never had to even touch em'.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
200+ miles.. wow okay, 80 miles is alot for me as I usually barely hit 20 sometimes in the city so I guess it doesn't qualify as a country run. It's alot more rural than what I'm used too though. I wasn't aware winter was so bad either, how exactly are the tire chains used? I've never had to even touch em'.
Your mechanics can show you how to put the chains on. In most areas the chains are there to get you out of trouble, make good decisions and you will probably never need them.

hypo hanna

Loved my country route. 300 miles a day. Only a few drawbacks. Country rounds turn to muck in the rain and nothing but dust during dry spells and droughts. Wildlife and livestock in the road are a real problem. And then there are the dogs. Everyone has a mutt of some kind so you have to be on your guard at every stop.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Your mechanics can show you how to put the chains on. In most areas the chains are there to get you out of trouble, make good decisions and you will probably never need them.

Every winter I put out a tire/wheel with chains on it so the drivers can look at it for an example.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The best route I ever had was a country route. It had 70 stops in a P-500 with one totally empty shelf. I only had it a year before a senior driver that had given it up rolled me off of it on the next bid. It was very quiet and the customers were great. This was before PAS/EDD, I had plenty of room to sort and set up the whole load. Using a Helper during peak was a joke since the stops were so apart, normally I drove 200-225 miles a day.

iruhnman630

... I had only about 140 stops (+2 pickups) and around 80 or so miles,...
You call that country??? Try 100 stops, 200 miles. Now add snow and long driveways to deal with, and you can start calling it a country route. Other routes in other parts of the country are even better.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I had a country route in NJ, yes they have farms there still. I got stuck in the snow at the end of one of the roads and put the chains on to get myself out. I was spinning the tires and crash! I heard it but didn't know what had happened until I finally rocked myself out and got back to the hub. Apparently the chain had come off and it went through the picture window of the house I had delivered to! Damn chains are really not meant for anything but to get you unstuck. Always liked how the mechanics drilled holes through the wheels to accomodate them!!!!