Couple of questions...

TheKid99

So I left Purple as a courier for Brown

I'm going to be a Seasonal Preloader

At the interview I asked the HR lady how long would it take to become a driver she replied 1-2 years.. Do you think that's true? I hope she is right but at the interview she only asked me one question about package handling and why do I want to leave FedEx for UPS I replied I'm looking for a career, lol.

She asked me are you 21, do I have a chauffeurs license, can I drive a stick if so how long have I drive a stick and etc...

So is it a good thing she asked me all these questions? She said I can drive part time while I'm a package handler is that true? I think this station is looking to hire a couple of people off the street but I can't drive until September because of this improper turn I've received.

im_tired

i started working preload 2 years ago and am now a saturday air driver. they originally told us the wait to go driving for our building was 2-5 years, and that's looking true.

i went driving for last peak and then kept doing saturdays once i went back to preload. just recently they've been having me run air after preload, too. in my building a bunch of guys with 2011 hire dates just got the full-time call. and in the recently acquired annex across the street, there are some 2013 hires that somehow slipped into full-time (or so goes the angry rumor). i'm hoping i'll get my chance within a year.

i live in a city where there are something like 110 new people moving in every day, so we're growing. i don't know what it's like in your building, but we have a lotta work coming to us.

Z

ZQXC

1-2 years would be very quick / highly unlikely

What does improper turn I've received even mean?

Tough Guy

Probably a citation for turning without a blinker, or making an illegal turn ( turned on a no turn on red, made an illegal uturn, etc. )

PT Car Washer

Sounds like you are sitting in a real good place if FT driving is where you want to go. Gaining experience everyday on the DIAD and driving package cars. UPS still has to honor seniority to attempt to qualify, but you will be way ahead in experience when your time comes. You may be surprised how many people don't qualify first time around. They think all they have to have is seniority to get the job.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We can't answer how things are in your building. I've seen drivers start after 3 months inside but then I've seen drivers start after 6 years. It's all timing.

BigBeef42

In bigger cities a full time spot can be had in 1-2 years. After you start full time driving it can be another 2-4 years of cover driving before you can bid a route.

When I started part time 9 years ago they told me driving was 5-6 years away. Then the recession fugged all that up and they froze all full time jobs. No upward movement!

A good friend of mine even went backup feeder at year 6.... he got in right before the recession. Lucky dog.

It depends on where u live... and how groovy the economy is in your area.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HereWeGoAgain

I've seen people wait years and some people get a shot at PKG car after 6 months. The company is on a hiring spree right now we've got 5 people in my center trying to qualify right now. Put your time in do some Saturday air & learn the ropes , your time will come 100 grand a year is more then worth it.