Courier Base Rate Step Progression

Purplepackage

Do you really believe that given the history of this company? Very few employees will stick around to even get more than 2 or 3 "steps", and the fact that they've doubled-over the veterans should give you a clue.

I would fully expect all sorts of hoops and excuses when the "steps" are implemented, all to save the company money vs. having a realistic top-out of 5 years or less and a living wage at the base level.

As the oldsters retire, you're seeing a new generation of worker that doesn't like physical labor, is almost completely dependent on electronic guidance, and lacks critical thinking and self-management skills.

In other words, Fred is going to have a bunch of losers and Third Worlders as his employment pool. You're already seeing it in most stations, and they cannot perform the job with any degree of efficiency.

Yeah well after this round of raises and market level changes I'm sure most new hires will be making almost 20 bucks an hour, you tell me they won't stay to gain another 5 steps

Purplepackage

New hires making almost 20 bucks per hour after the October pay action?

Where are you getting you information from?

I shouldn't have said 20 but it will be at least in the high 18s almost 19.

And the 1 example I have is a 2 year guy that just got a swing spot who is now making 18.25, and I'm sure that 3% will put him I between a step. He will probably be in the mid 19s after that

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's 'cuz being a suck butt shill is all he ever wanted to be.

I tell ya, Cactus, you have no idea what it's like to work for a company because you choose to do so instead of because you have absolutely no better option. It's a great feeling.

I would say I wish you could experience that feeling, but really, I don't give a flying flip about you one way or the other.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I tell ya, Cactus, you have no idea what it's like to work for a company because you choose to do so instead of because you have absolutely no better option. It's a great feeling.

I would say I wish you could experience that feeling, but really, I don't give a flying flip about you one way or the other.
I couldn't care less and besides, if you fall off the face of the Earth tomorrow, well............Champagne for everyone!

Last edited:

Cactus

Yeah well after this round of raises and market level changes I'm sure most new hires will be making almost 20 bucks an hour, you tell me they won't stay to gain another 5 steps
They'll all be too damn old or the company will abandon the idea entirely.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You experience the feeling of still being a FedEx manager when your peers have been recruited to work for real money at decent companies. Why is it that nobody has called head-hunting you?

SmithBarney

So Dano, I posed this question in another thread:

The big question:
"Is B moving to A with a bump to current A levels, then the 3% + step(if applicable)?"

or

"is B and A being consolidated to the same BASE step program, with each employee coming into BASE at their current rate then 3% + step(if applicable)?"

To me using your chart which I believe is the new BASE level the difference is STEP 2 vs STEP 4
Are their any allowances being made for those with multiple years of service etc who are going to end up at step 2, with people hired from 1yr-10yrs ago? Because right now pretty much anyone from 1-10yrs lands in step 2.

BootsOnTarmac

I shouldn't have said 20 but it will be at least in the high 18s almost 19.

And the 1 example I have is a 2 year guy that just got a swing spot who is now making 18.25, and I'm sure that 3% will put him I between a step. He will probably be in the mid 19s after that

Your right. The swing and RTD positions might be on either side of 20 depending on market level as new hires, after this pay action. I wonder how many new hires get the swing position. I have never seen the RTD positions come from outside at my location, I'm sure it happens though.

Cactus

So Dano, I posed this question in another thread:

The big question:
"Is B moving to A with a bump to current A levels, then the 3% + step(if applicable)?"

or

"is B and A being consolidated to the same BASE step program, with each employee coming into BASE at their current rate then 3% + step(if applicable)?"

To me using your chart which I believe is the new BASE level the difference is STEP 2 vs STEP 4
Are their any allowances being made for those with multiple years of service etc who are going to end up at step 2, with people hired from 1yr-10yrs ago? Because right now pretty much anyone from 1-10yrs lands in step 2.
Good luck getting any resemblance of a straight forward answer from Dano. Like all forms of management, their skill is to talk in circles until one gets fed up and drops the subject. Dano refuses to answer one simple questoon of mine that I've asked him three times. Oh... I guess avoiding issues altogether is another "skill."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Good luck getting any resemblance of a straight forward answer from Dano. Like all forms of management, their skill is to talk in circles until one gets fed up and drops the subject. Dano refuses to answer one simple questoon of mine that I've asked him three times. Oh... I guess avoiding issues altogether is another "skill."

Dano won't answer a question that makes the company look bad. That would make his handlers angry and he would go back to scrubbing MT3's toilets and emptying the biffies on the Gulfstream.

You're only going to hear approved subject material, kind of like the canned meetings we have with management where they can't go off-topic or field any questions that are controversial.

optikz

so from what I heard, the market level will increase, but only on the step wages, not your current pay. add 3% to your current pay, then use Danos unofficial numbers to see where u fall. if you're in between steps, go up to the next step.

so all those in the B and A markets hoping for a $2+ raise, it's not happening. the market level increased, just not the way that benefits us. the starting pay is 1.26 more now on lowest base market, you don't get that added to your current pay like you would if you moved from an B market to A market.

Jayhawk

so from what I heard, the market level will increase, but only on the step wages, not your current pay. add 3% to your current pay, then use Danos unofficial numbers to see where u fall. if you're in between steps, go up to the next step.

so all those in the B and A markets hoping for a $2+ raise, it's not happening. the market level increased, just not the way that benefits us. the starting pay is 1.26 more now on lowest base market, you don't get that added to your current pay like you would if you moved from an B market to A market.
If true a topped out courier in my market is getting a bigger raise than me. I've been here almost 14 years. Top is getting $1.87, im getting $1.68. Just fugged up.

optikz

If true a topped out courier in my market is getting a bigger raise than me. I've been here almost 14 years. Top is getting $1.87, im getting $1.68. Just fugged up.

yup. if we changed a market, we should get that market change plus 3% not 3% on your current pay, then see where u fall after the new market level increased step system. anyone with less than 7-8 years will be making the 90 cents more than a new hire, so most 7-13 year employees will be making the same exact pay.

dex 84

If they do that then it's the same bull:censored2: they've been doing for years. If the range goes up that's a CoL adjustment, not our raise.

optikz

based on this new scale, topped out employees won't even be topped out anymore if all they get is 3% and step progression. top out in market level B is $24.42. 3% on the is 25.15, which would out them in between steps 8 and 9. they would go up to 9 and be at 25.31?? how do they expect to adjust market levels but only on the step wages and expect people not to notice they aren't actually getting a market level adjustment?

vantexan

based on this new scale, topped out employees won't even be topped out anymore if all they get is 3% and step progression. top out in market level B is $24.42. 3% on the is 25.15, which would out them in between steps 8 and 9. they would go up to 9 and be at 25.31?? how do they expect to adjust market levels but only on the step wages and expect people not to notice they aren't actually getting a market level adjustment?
Don't be surprised if they keep steps frozen with top out getting a 2 or 3% raise every so often, but not every year. In other words the steps will stay the same, but once you get to the top you will "step off." Whether you get a raise as a topped out employee will be at the company's whim.

OutOfTheKnow

Do you really believe that given the history of this company? Very few employees will stick around to even get more than 2 or 3 "steps", and the fact that they've doubled-over the veterans should give you a clue.

I would fully expect all sorts of hoops and excuses when the "steps" are implemented, all to save the company money vs. having a realistic top-out of 5 years or less and a living wage at the base level.

As the oldsters retire, you're seeing a new generation of worker that doesn't like physical labor, is almost completely dependent on electronic guidance, and lacks critical thinking and self-management skills.

In other words, Fred is going to have a bunch of losers and Third Worlders as his employment pool. You're already seeing it in most stations, and they cannot perform the job with any degree of efficiency.

New to the site, where to start! Well, first off, I want to say you may be right, but it's not the case at my station. I'm at a big station, or so they say. It's a smaller of the big ones, maybe 90 couriers or so, so I don't know everyone. But having worked 3 different routes on 3 different shifts, I have to say that the absolute laziest sob's are definitely NOT noobs, but vets, about 15-25 years. And the vets here also rely on their phones, though not all of them. It's true, though, that ALL the new guys 0-10 years rely heavily on tech, except for one swing I know. As for me, I crashed and burned so hard in my first month on a delivery route until I learned how use the map book to set up my stops. And btw, the new generation here at my station are the hardest working, period. I can't speak for their efficiency.

Off topic, the culture sucks. Absolutely sucks. I know it's a fedex thing, but it's so much worse at a big station than at the small station is used to work at. The culture is what causes me to hate this job sometimes. I choose to work at fedex. I'm not a slave, though I feel like it. Bottom line, though, there are other jobs with better benefits and comparable pay, but you sacrifice in other aspects such as being stuck in an office, or not being home at night (truck drivers), or having ZERO work/life balance (miners/oilfield). Still, I wish I could pick fedex happily vs begrudgingly. Why TF is dispatch interrogating me about a mistake I made yesterday, during my p1 cycle? It can't wait? Anyway....