Courier Base Rate Step Progression

Yomama11

Fedex wins again..thinking what we got was acceptable...fedex has struggled to give good raised for the past 5 years.other than last year's 6%...the other four years we got either 2% or 3% while base pay went up by 4% all 5 years...So this step progression was based on the fact that the group of employees with 10,11 or even 12 years of service would be in either step 1 or 2 of the progression chart...
Step progression will change every year just enough that you stay in the same step for two years...it's not a 10 year top out...fedex is not dumb.you really think they will top someone brand new off the street in 10 years? If it sounds to good to be true tHan its probably not true...
Once again it's a 10 step progression...they failed to mention how long it takes to do all 10 steps...

Oldfart

Fred never gives without taking back an equal amount or even more. I'd be very surprised if we don't have increased medical costs.
Did you see the posting. Increases range from $10 to $15 per month. Considering there was no increase last year that isn't a bad price. Family coverage for under $170 a month.

bacha29

Did you see the posting. Increases range from $10 to $15 per month. Considering there was no increase last year that isn't a bad price. Family coverage for under $170 a month.
Just curious. What is the deductible and copayment?. Is that deductible an annual deductible or a per claim deductible.?Sounds to me like one of the many plans out there that will on average cover only about 60% of the total cost of the bill About the same as the ACA's "bronze" insurance plan.

Oldfart

Just curious. What is the deductible and copayment?. Is that deductible an annual deductible or a per claim deductible.?Sounds to me like one of the many plans out there that will on average cover only about 60% of the total cost of the bill About the same as the ACA's "bronze" insurance plan.

Havent sat down to compare but quick glance the deductables and max out of pocket looked the same as last year. Every deductable I have seen is annual. Never seen a per claim. Maybe that is a different plan than mine. There hasnt been a copay in years. At least on the plan I am in.

Oldfart

You just validated my point about people complaining no matter what the company does for the employees. Some of us are getting a $175 to $200 a month increase in pay and the insurance is increasing by maybe $30 a month with eye and dental added to health and you are still complaining. Not many people pay less than $200 for health, dental and vision insurance for family coverage.

Next years raise will be .99 for some of us and yet the miserables will still be whining.

Oldfart

It works for UPS, why not us? This should be good, kool aid man.;)
In what business plan does cost of living not factor into the salary equation? Top pay in my market is 25.31 beginning Sunday. The whiners keep complaining about turnover. How do you expect a person living in New York, LA or Hawaii to live on $25.31. A gallon of milk cost $9 in Hawaii. You pay a courier in those cities $25.31 and watch the turnover. And don't even try to justify paying the Omaha courier what the NYC courier makes. That would be a slap to employees in the upper markets. The station in Billings Montana might do 1/10 the volume a station in NY or LA. does. Should their employees make what a NYC employee makes? Common sense tells you that cost, yield and volume all figure in to what a market salary is. Ask yourself this. If a courier in Omaha makes the same as a NYC courier. Should the courier in Omaha pay the same rent or house note as the NYC employee?

MAKAVELI

In what business plan does cost of living not factor into the salary equation? Top pay in my market is 25.31 beginning Sunday. The whiners keep complaining about turnover. How do you expect a person living in New York, LA or Hawaii to live on $25.31. A gallon of milk cost $9 in Hawaii. You pay a courier in those cities $25.31 and watch the turnover. And don't even try to justify paying the Omaha courier what the NYC courier makes. That would be a slap to employees in the upper markets. The station in Billings Montana might do 1/10 the volume a station in NY or LA. does. Should their employees make what a NYC employee makes? Common sense tells you that cost, yield and volume all figure in to what a market salary is. Ask yourself this. If a courier in Omaha makes the same as a NYC courier. Should the courier in Omaha pay the same rent or house note as the NYC employee?
Like I said, it works for UPS, why not us? Everyone should be paid the highest market rate across the country. Now what kool aid man?

Oldfart

Speaking of UPS, they pay less than $200 for their insurance. Like $200 dollars less than $200.

No doubt they have the sweet contract. The teamsters have the upper hand. BUT ask their retirees about how their pensions are in jeopardy. Them and many other teamsters retirees have seen their pensions cut by 30 to 40%. Some were affected, some weren't. UPS has also gone to different tiered salaries. The new drivers are not on the same scale as the older employees. I don't believe their top salary will be the same as older employees. The same for UAW employees. Workers hired today will never make what an older UAW employee does.

We never have been on the same pay level as UPS. It sucks but those are the facts. I wish we did but we don't. If your life is miserable and you will only be happy when you make UPS wages, you will be miserable for a long long time. UPS pilots don't make close to what our pilots make and our couriers will never make what UPS drivers make. I wish it was the other way around but it isn't. I will take my 6am to 5pm shift any day over the 9am to 8pm shift UPS works in my area. More money would be nice but when you work their hours, when do you get to enjoy life?

Oldfart

I would bet that the divorce rate for you miserable "I hate my job" and everything else in life is off the charts. There is no way any woman or man for those that go that way would ever stay committed to such miserable people. No matter what someone does for you, it is NEVER enough.