Cover driver 7 day Adventist?

DamageCallTag

One of out preloaders is a 7 day Adventist and they are sending him to intergrad. He told them he has to be off by a certain time every Friday and they are saying they will accommodate to him. Anyone have any employess that this applies to? All the drivers are not happy and are saying they are going to start there own religion and need certain days off weekly hahah!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I see a lot of religious converts.... in the near future.

"Todd Sturgill, age 41 and a resident of Springdale, Arkansas, was a 19-year driver for United Parcel Service when he joined the Seventh-day Adventist Church in May of 2004. In July of that year, Sturgill asked his employer for accommodation on Friday evenings during the upcoming holiday delivery season."

http://news.adventist.org/en/all-ne...deral-court-rules-for-sabbath-keeping-worker/

-Bug-

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I see a lot of religious converts.... in the near future.

"Todd Sturgill, age 41 and a resident of Springdale, Arkansas, was a 19-year driver for United Parcel Service when he joined the Seventh-day Adventist Church in May of 2004. In July of that year, Sturgill asked his employer for accommodation on Friday evenings during the upcoming holiday delivery season."

http://news.adventist.org/en/all-ne...deral-court-rules-for-sabbath-keeping-worker/

-Bug-
Sorry, but I take the company's side on this one.

Sturgill voluntarily became a Seventh Day Adventist, and with 19 years of prior UPS experience he was fully aware of the potential conflicts that his religious choices would create with his career. It is not fair or reasonable to expect the company to make special accommodations for the personal religious beliefs of every employee, particularly when it involves getting off of work at sundown on December 17th which is both the busiest day of the year and the day with the earliest sunset.

soberups

One of out preloaders is a 7 day Adventist and they are sending him to intergrad. He told them he has to be off by a certain time every Friday and they are saying they will accommodate to him. Anyone have any employess that this applies to? All the drivers are not happy and are saying they are going to start there own religion and need certain days off weekly hahah!
Adventists believe that the Sabbath begins at sunset on Friday night and that no work can be done until sunset on Saturday.

How do Adventists in Alaska or the polar regions of Canada deal with this prohibition? North of the Arctic Circle there is a two to three week period in the winter when the sun never rises and an equal period during the summer where it never sets. And even in areas south of this such as Anchorage or Fairbanks, the sun doesn't come up until nearly 10 or 11 in the morning and it sets again around 2, with the reverse happening during the summer.

Do the Adventists make some sort of reasonable accommodation with their own faith to compensate for these issues? And if so, could they also make some sort of reasonable accommodation with their employers?

Wallyism.
wallyworld.jpg

soberups

Muslims celebrate the holy month of Ramadan by fasting from sunrise to sunset. The duration of the fasting period varies each year due to the fact that the Islamic calendar does not keep seasonal time accurately, thus allowing Ramadan to occur at any point during the year. Muslims living in polar regions are therefore allowed to observe the fasting period from the time the sun rises until it sets in Mecca, rather than having to observe local times which would literally place them in danger of starvation during the summer months.

Perhaps the Adventists could display the same sort of pragmatism in regards to the needs of their employers.

alwaysoverallowed

Allowing this opens a can of worms on both sides I mean now you're allowing the company to question your faith to see how dedicated you are to it. I mean seriously do you want LP watching you go to church on Sunday?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Muslims celebrate the holy month of Ramadan by fasting from sunrise to sunset. The duration of the fasting period varies each year due to the fact that the Islamic calendar does not keep seasonal time accurately, thus allowing Ramadan to occur at any point during the year. Muslims living in polar regions are therefore allowed to observe the fasting period from the time the sun rises until it sets in Mecca, rather than having to observe local times which would literally place them in danger of starvation during the summer months.

Perhaps the Adventists could display the same sort of pragmatism in regards to the needs of their employers.

We had a guy in my center who converted to Islam for his new wife, and he starved himself basically all of Ramadan, and lost a TON of weight and was REALLY weak. Then he cheated on her and divorced.

All in all I think he enjoyed it

theslinger

There is a driver out of the Inland Empire region in California, who is of the Sikh faith. From what I remember, they cannot cut their hair or shave their beard. They can only "trim" their beard. Don't know the exact definition of what the religious order considers a "trim". They have such lo g hair, they wrap it around their hair using a turban. A fellow coworker told me this because this UPS driver delivered to his house one day.