Cover driver and bonus?

BUCN85

Two hours under? How do you do that?
First I was with a supervisor. And we had several cancelled pick ups. And we even had help with about 10 resi stops being taken off that was out of our way a little. So this obviously contributed to this.

Overpaid Union Thug

On certain routes, I can knock the route out, hit the pickups, and still be off under 8.

Other routes, I do similar stops and punch out over 10 hours. I don't need anyone to agree with or validate what I do, so at this point I guess we agree to disagree.

You guys go get your $$, I'll get my family time and still make 80K per year.

Wow. I hope there aren't too many drivers in your center like you. If there is then the next couple of time studies are going to be a disaster for you guys.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my center it is done by sorting truck for at least an hour in the AM. Then skip lunch, just put it in the board. There is the two hours right there!!

They indirect nothing. Ni1 any package you couldn't find at delivery point when found later in the day. Spend zero time looking for the odd numbered house and sheet as NSN. Go into pickup's early and ask if they are ready. Have the DVIR filled and signed, both pages, in the AM. Cheat a few air stops where you know that the customer isn't home anyway. Sign for signature required packages because customer signed info notice or left a note or you have an understanding with the customer. Run off stops rather then walking at brisk pace. Not filing out info notice, just scan and throw away. Throwing heavy packages on shoulder rather then using equipment or power zone. Scan packages for an entire street at 1st stop for that street and leave the other packages in cab. I could go on and on.

Anyone of these could get drivers fired, hurt or at the least progressive discipline. However, UPS will look the other way.......until there is a corporate issue.
That will get you fired.
If that was the case we would have 90 percent of drivers fired.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The piece work argument has gone on since the first factory was built. We have drivers that do an amount of work that I can't fathom. I also can't fathom running a 9 second 100 or throwing a 98mph fastball.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Here is normal practice to just put a lunch in the board, and work during that period.

Wow. I know there was a huge legal action over this kind of stuff a few years back. Every since then, management here watches for work during lunch/break. So easy for the union to check and get lots of back pay. Get a class action going.

kingOFchester

Wow. I know there was a huge legal action over this kind of stuff a few years back. Every since then, management here watches for work during lunch/break. So easy for the union to check and get lots of back pay. Get a class action going.

There would be no back pay. If you are a lunch skipper, you are the one making at least an hour of bonus. Pay for the lunch hour, your "working hours" change by one hour and then you lose that hour of bonus.

Another words, its like saying instead of paying you 10 bucks with a ten dollar bill, I will pay you ten bucks with two fives.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Back pay for what? These guys are not being forced to do this----for the most part they are doing it on their own; in fact, they are falsifying records by putting a lunch in the DIAD and then working through it.

Wally

There would be no back pay. If you are a lunch skipper, you are the one making at least an hour of bonus. Pay for the lunch hour, your "working hours" change by one hour and then you lose that hour of bonus.

Another words, its like saying instead of paying you 10 bucks with a ten dollar bill, I will pay you ten bucks with two fives.

I would imagine the lawyers having a field day with the company knowingly paying bonus to employees doing something illegal. They get instant reports of employee's working on the clock. (Violating break laws and falsifying records)

kingOFchester

I would imagine the lawyers having a field day with the company knowingly paying bonus to employees doing something illegal. They get instant reports of employee's working on the clock. (Violating break laws and falsifying records)
What exactly are the laws being broken? Not questioning your statement, just curious to the exact laws being broken. Thanks

kingOFchester

wayfair

swollen member
falsifying records = dishonesty?

as for OP making bonus, nope, you were riding with a supe. Noted on your WOR and timecard

Overpaid Union Thug

I think it would be best in the long run if the DIADs in each and every center in the country would shut down during breaks like in California. Time studies would eventually be more accurate for most routes and dispatches would fall in line with the allowances. The only people that would have a problem with this is the people that are skipping their lunches now. Oh well. If they wanted 8 hour days 5 days a week they probably should have opted for employment at a bank instead of UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think it would be best in the long run if the DIADs in each and every center in the country would shut down during breaks like in California. Time studies would eventually be more accurate for most routes and dispatches would fall in line with the allowances. The only people that would have a problem with this is the people that are skipping their lunches now. Oh well. If they wanted 8 hour days 5 days a week they probably should have opted for employment at a bank instead of UPS.

I 100% agree with your thought process but 100% disagree with locking down the DIADs between a predetermined start and stop time. All mgt has to do is monitor the lunch/break times of any known runner/gunners and then check to see if any work was done during those times. They won't do that as it clearly benefits them.

I normally take my lunch from 1545 to 1630 and my break from 1750 to 1800. These times work best for me and my delivery area. I have no idea when my covers take their breaks and don't really care just as long as all the work gets done.

Wally

UPS sure is worried about the bulk head door being open, idle time, and miles. They spent millions on it. Maybe the union should be more concerned about working off the clock. Seems to me it would be real easy to tell if the truck are moving or scans are being made during breaks.

kingOFchester

UPS sure is worried about the bulk head door being open, idle time, and miles. They spent millions on it. Maybe the union should be more concerned about working off the clock. Seems to me it would be real easy to tell if the truck are moving or scans are being made during breaks.

Management is well aware of people working off the clock......even tho, in a bonus center, the pay lost working lunch is made up in bonus. UPS loves the bonus system. My center, lets call it 80 trips, would need at the very least, 8 more drivers if bonus was eliminated. If every driver was a time worked driver, I assume that they would average 10% less accomplished at minimum.

8 drivers means another two pre loaders. with two more benefits contribution and pension contribution. 8 more trucks. More mechanic time. More carwash time. 8 more drivers. 8 more benefit contributions. 8 more pension contributions. 8 tanks of gas to be filled. On and on and on. Cheaper to pay $48ish in bonus.

Overpaid Union Thug

I 100% agree with your thought process but 100% disagree with locking down the DIADs between a predetermined start and stop time. All mgt has to do is monitor the lunch/break times of any known runner/gunners and then check to see if any work was done during those times. They won't do that as it clearly benefits them.

I normally take my lunch from 1545 to 1630 and my break from 1750 to 1800. These times work best for me and my delivery area. I have no idea when my covers take their breaks and don't really care just as long as all the work gets done.

Management won't monitor the breaks as it benefits them. Shutting down the boards forces the driver to do what they should be doing anyway per the contract. Some idiots will find a way to work around this but with technology it's just a matter of time before they get burned. Working while the board is shut down will eventually raise some flags. Unlike simply entering a lunch break and working like they are doing now.