Cover Driver pay rate?

UPSER110

I think there was an error on my pay rate for being a cover driver. I got paid 21.13, and I have no idea where that number came from. In the contract it says the starting pay for a reg-temp is 75% of the progression rate of pay in the wage schedule... Well as of 8/1/11 the top rate is 30.795. so 30.795x.75=23.096. Am I missing something here?

UPSGUY72

You need to ask someone in your building. The definition of a cover driver appear to change from location to location. Cover drivers in my are are FT driver that get paid the same rate as FT drivers they are guaranteed 8hr a day the only difference is that they don't have their own route they fill in when other drivers are out or run split routes.

starting pay $16.10
seniority $17.25
12 months $18.45
24 months $20.75
36 months Top rate

I currently make $30.885

AKCoverMan

Our local has a provision for a Utility Driver which is usually a part time inside or part time air ramp employee who is learning to drive. I went Utility after about a year on the air ramp, and drove 20 to 50 hours a week for about 9 months before I went on my packet and became a FT. I am still a cover driver, enjoy moving around and having knowledge of most of the routes in the building. I'll get em all eventually!

Anyway.. on our rider the Utility Driver gets either the Utility rate (I think its around $16/hr) or their regular pay rate whichever is more.. usually the Utility rate.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I think there was an error on my pay rate for being a cover driver. I got paid 21.13, and I have no idea where that number came from. In the contract it says the starting pay for a reg-temp is 75% of the progression rate of pay in the wage schedule... Well as of 8/1/11 the top rate is 30.795. so 30.795x.75=23.096. Am I missing something here?

Reread the contract language and redo the math. Does it specify the 'current' top pay rate, or the top rate at the date the contract went into effect? If the latter, was that rate $28.17?

UPSGUY72

So what do you call your part time drivers that are not guaranteed 40 hours per week?

We don't have PT drivers.

Besides are Ft Air drivers and Sat air drivers. We have FT time drivers and FT cover drivers that are guaranteed 40 hour a week, we also have casual drivers (outside temps) that work from June 1 till the second week in Sept to help cover vacations and then again from Oct 1 till Dec 31 to help with peak. The casuals are not guaranteed any hours.