cover driver progression

supaalex

If im currently a cover driver and have been for 1.5 years. If i had to stop cover driving because i got another job in the daytime and was taken off cover driver list, would my progression stop? Eventually when i go fulltime driving i would have to wait to hit top rate as if i never cover drove or would my progression continue from when i first drove even though i stopped?

Currently this old contract stated it was 3 years before pregression reached top pay rate, anyone know what the new contract states? I think it was 4 years?

calcio56

Thanks.....The lack of information ups provides is overwhelming...i assume casual and ft will be indicated as potential drivers go through the Process

supaalex

anyone have an answer? i recently went back to cover driver and my pay rate has progressed as if i had never left. I started cover driving in 2005 and drove until 2007-8 cant remember. Then had to stop because i got another job in the morning while working twilight part-time. I was surprised i kept my progression for the cover driver rate, but now am going fulltime. Would i automatically hit top rate once i pass probation? I hope so since my cover driver rate progressed even after management took me off the cover driver list meaning they disqualified me.

supaalex

well i am still in my 30 day probation and am getting cover driver pay still. i dont assume a pay rate change until after i pass the 30 days. I want bring up pay rate concerns until after i make 30 days hopefully. Anyone with any info on who i should hit up about my past cover driver years please chime in thnx

rkctkc

Your part time cover driver years mean absolutely nothing towards full time progression. Part time cover driver rate is 85% top rate and you get to be red circled at your cover driver rate when going full time until progression would bring you above said rate. The day you went full time your progression started, so I'm going to assume you won't reach a higher rate through progression for 4 years.

Last edited:

rkctkc

You shouldn't have to do another 30 day probation period. No driver shall do more than 1 even if going from part time cover driver to full time driver.

Last edited:

rkctkc

Could a moderator please delete this because I accidently posted something here and can't seem to figure out how to delete this. I can edit it all day long but I can't delete it entirely

Last edited:

dqs95124

Unless the contract has changed. When I was in preload 16 yrs ago. One of the drivers I loaded for said," you might not be here long but go utility. If some thing comes up and you go full time you will get top rate by the time you can bid for a friend/t driver position" he was right. When I passed probation and got a to be full time driver, the guy off the street made less then me. But he has 1 day of seniority on me what a kicker..

supaalex

Your part time cover driver years mean absolutely nothing towards full time progression. Part time cover driver rate is 85% top rate and you get to be red circled at your cover driver rate when going full time until progression would bring you above said rate. The day you went full time your progression started, so I'm going to assume you won't reach a higher rate through progression for 4 years.

i am under the impression that your time spent as cover driver counts towards progression, meaning if you did 4 years of cover and went fulltime your 5th year you would get top rate as soon as you went full time. Thats the way some of my friends have done it here on southern california. I started cover driver in 2007 for about 3 years then stopped because i needed time off for personnel issues, just recently started back up cover then quickly promoted to fulltime, just trying to see where i stand with my progressed time as cover driver.

As far as probation for 30 days thats what the supervisor told me but i doubt they actually have me going through the 30 days because im jumping from route to route. I am in as long as i do not get into accident im assuming.

supaalex

Unless the contract has changed. When I was in preload 16 yrs ago. One of the drivers I loaded for said," you might not be here long but go utility. If some thing comes up and you go full time you will get top rate by the time you can bid for a friend/t driver position" he was right. When I passed probation and got a to be full time driver, the guy off the street made less then me. But he has 1 day of seniority on me what a kicker..

utility? words have different meanings in different parts of the US. here i am a cover driver meaning: i get to drive when my center needs me to cover routes because of vacation, mostly in the summer but my primary job is part-time in the warehouse. Utility drivers here are fulltime drivers that do not have their own route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Could a moderator please delete this because I accidently posted something here and can't seem to figure out how to delete this. I can edit it all day long but I can't delete it entirely

The delete option was removed a few months ago due to abuse of the feature by a certain member. This person was posting disparaging remarks about other members, leaving them up for just under the 15 minutes that we are given to edit our posts and then deleting them in their entirety.

JL 0513

Where I am, "cover drivers" (like me) are full time seniority drivers. They simply haven't gained enough seniority to bid a route. We are guaranteed full time work everyday with the possible exception of a short layoff, say in February. However, I haven't seen any layoffs.

This is in contrast to "casuals" or seasonals. They are not yet permanent full time drivers.

It's hard to have a conversation when everyone around the country uses different language.

But as far as the confusion around every issue, welcome to union labor. There's always going to be endless questions as the contract is massively complex. There's benefits to it but it's a cluster#%@*.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In our building FT bid cover is a bid position. You are guaranteed to work every day and to get 8 hours per day----you just don't have your own bid route.

Casuals are just that----drivers who are used as needed.

rkctkc

i am under the impression that your time spent as cover driver counts towards progression, meaning if you did 4 years of cover and went fulltime your 5th year you would get top rate as soon as you went full time. Thats the way some of my friends have done it here on southern california. I started cover driver in 2007 for about 3 years then stopped because i needed time off for personnel issues, just recently started back up cover then quickly promoted to fulltime, just trying to see where i stand with my progressed time as cover driver.

As far as probation for 30 days thats what the supervisor told me but i doubt they actually have me going through the 30 days because im jumping from route to route. I am in as long as i do not get into accident im assuming.

I haven't read anywhere in the union handbook that says you can skip the full time progression by becoming a part time cover driver first. I was a part time driver for over 4 years and when I went full time I didn't get top rate. I know that working 156 days out of the year as part time driver you will get full time benefits for the following year but I'm pretty sure you don't get to skip progression completely.

rkctkc

Where I am, "cover drivers" (like me) are full time seniority drivers. They simply haven't gained enough seniority to bid a route. We are guaranteed full time work everyday with the possible exception of a short layoff, say in February. However, I haven't seen any layoffs.

This is in contrast to "casuals" or seasonals. They are not yet permanent full time drivers.

It's hard to have a conversation when everyone around the country uses different language.

But as far as the confusion around every issue, welcome to union labor. There's always going to be endless questions as the contract is massively complex. There's benefits to it but it's a cluster#%@*.

In my hub there are full time cover drivers and part time cover drivers called temporary cover drivers. Tcd's are used when unforseen situations come up like 15 drivers calling in on the same day they will call in some part time help. Full time covers are guaranteed 8 hours of work every day but do not own a bid route and usually cover for vacations options days and injury leaves.

supaalex

i will try and verify that our progression as part time cover drivers counts towards progression for fulltime with my co workers, alot of us who have been driving for years are being promoted to fulltime and have been getting top rate as soon as a week. will update thread once i figure out more

supaalex

i will try and verify that our progression as part time cover drivers counts towards progression for fulltime with my co workers, alot of us who have been driving for years are being promoted to fulltime and have been getting top rate as soon as a week. will update thread once i figure out more