Cover drivers HAVE to work black friday?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We always had enought greedy senior money hungry suck ups who would volunteer to work that day so none of the kids who really needed the money got a chance to work.

Seniority gives you the right to work not the right not to work. Besides, it gives those with pesky in-law or relatives an out for the Friday after.

OptimusPrime

To each their own.
I respect the fact that some choose to accept about 40 hours a week is an adequate and proper balance for their life, some do not.
My grand daddy told me long ago, work = money
and more work = more money.
This why I have no debt, my house is paid off and I just spent a boat load of money on a custom tailor-made tuxedo and a new Rolex. Cash money.

I average about 52 hours a week because I start early while everyone else is asleep and get home probably before you do.
I have always worked these gravy days because it's something different to do, people appreciate the service and are happy to see you, and it IS absolutely the easiest day you will ever have working at UPS.

I've been smart with the money I have worked hard for.

"Live like nobody else, so tomorrow you can live like nobody else."
Dave Ramsey fans will understand this quote.

Again with respect, to each their own.

Dave Ramsey is an utter doucebag. Hence his popularity on AM radio. Guess what Dave, really don't want to eat ramen for 30 years, so I can "enjoy" my money when I am old and feeble. MFER lives in a 4.9 million dollar home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave Ramsey is an utter doucebag. Hence his popularity on AM radio. Guess what Dave, really don't want to eat ramen for 30 years, so I can "enjoy" my money when I am old and feeble. MFER lives in a 4.9 million dollar home.

Dave Ramsey is a financial savior. I started June 2008 with $48K of credit card and personal debt. I went to Border's and bought (with a credit card) his Money Makeover book and read it cover-to-cover that night. The next morning I started my personal makeover by listing all of my creditor's and current balance on a piece of paper. The interest rates were essentially the same so I listed them in descending order based on balance. I started with the highest balance and prepared an update each month which included a cumulative total of how much of my debt I had paid off. When the first creditor was paid off I went to the second, starting the debt snowball. January 2010 I made my last payment and my personal money makeover was complete.

There are some parts of his program that I did not use. I did not use the envelope system nor did I tithe 10% of my income to my church.

His program is basically common sense put on paper. I needed to see it in print before I decided to do something about it.

No, I did not eat Ramen noodles or beans for every meal, but I was very frugal. Now that I am debt free I do allow myself some treats but I still live a fairly frugal lifestyle.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm assuming our supplement here differs from most everyone else. I haven't worked Black Friday since 2004 when they absolutely screwed me (wasn't top rate yet; not even close). I'm told many years ago, before I started in our building, that there was a successful movement amongst the drivers to stick it to the man by having nobody sign up for Black Friday and that it was successful in that supervisors were pulled from as far as 125 miles away to come and work that day.

Black Friday is a UPS Holiday here, if you have made book you can volunteer to work for the time and a half, but you can absolutely NOT be made to work, nor do you have to acknowledge their "call in list" either.

opie

I'm assuming our supplement here differs from most everyone else. I haven't worked Black Friday since 2004 when they absolutely screwed me (wasn't top rate yet; not even close). I'm told many years ago, before I started in our building, that there was a successful movement amongst the drivers to stick it to the man by having nobody sign up for Black Friday and that it was successful in that supervisors were pulled from as far as 125 miles away to come and work that day. Black Friday is a UPS Holiday here, if you have made book you can volunteer to work for the time and a half, but you can absolutely NOT be made to work, nor do you have to acknowledge their "call in list" either.
They can "force" full time air drivers, and then part time air drivers to work. Goes by reverse seniority order. If they still need drivers they can do the same for full time package drivers.

Re-Raise

Not from me. Other than my regularly scheduled hours I never worked one minute of "volunteer" work in 30 years. There was a small group of senior guys though who had no home life so they worked every chance they could.

Why would you make a statement this stupid? That is like saying a kid who goes to school instead of staying home and playing video games must hate his or her home life.

I don't have any right to judge people who may or may not volunteer to work, and neither do you old man. I do it because it is doubletime and covers a route that I ran for about 10 years so I get to have an easy delivery day and see some old customers with no rush.

Growing up on a farm we had years where we did really well, but my father taught me that you can never predict what may happen in the future, so you continue to work even if you don't have to.

I hope my kids learn the same lesson. I will never forget the days when I was younger in college and would rake people's yards around campus for $5 a yard. I made more than that yesterday in the time it took me to walk up their sidewalk and knock on their door.

I GOT ONE MORE

Sir Dude, you leave me at a loss for words. But I'll try.

This isn't about a radio personality, although his philosophy is sound.

It's about me and MY behavior.

If it does not appeal to you, move along. I do not pretend to know your financial status, YOUR mirror will tell you that. Along with your bank balance.

I am very comfortable with you enjoying your money now.

In fact, I am a firm believer in living today to its fullest, ........
just don't forget about tomorrow.

Good luck with your plan, I truly wish you well.

My plan is working out just fine, thank you ..........with or without your comments or blessings.

Geez, doucebag....Really? Not that you or it matters, but it's actually :censored2:bag.

Happy Holidays.

BTW, spent another grand today on jewelry for the wife today. CASH money. Thank you Dave Ramsey.

OptimusPrime

That came off a tad harsh and a bit flip. Coming from a family of blue collar stiffs, aging gracefully just doesn't seem to be in the cards. I'm not saying to burn the candle at both ends and die a pauper, but if I am going to subject my body to the rigor that is UPS, I really want to enjoy my money while my youth is fleeting. Like my current semi long term goals. Want to go to Ireland and Japan. Pretty sure I will enjoy these experiences much more in my mid thirties, then scrapping and saving some big nest egg, only to be old and broken down, and not really wanting to do stuff like that. I will admit, unlike most here, I am not married, don't really see any plans to get married, and don't have kids. That's a big difference in ones spending habits.

I just find Dave a tad grating. Dude is a millionaire. Has no wants. It's real easy in that position to tell people how to spend their money.