Cover Drivers: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Perhaps I give the boy too much flack, but come on. Why would you go and meet the cover driver when you are on vacation?? There is more to life than UPS. I guess I do not understand why people spend all day delivering boxes and then spend ALL of their free time here spouting off about everything UPS. Not to mention posting while on break. You folks can refer to me however you choose-last piece of toilet paper, last poop, whatever you want. I will not get all frantic. I realize this is merely an internet forum-not to be taken too seriously. Some of you may find yourselves in Mr. Upstates shoes if you keep spending every waking hour on here instead of on your wives. Oops, I mean with your wives.
Hey, don't give that driver to much crap. I've covered a rte and had the regular driver come out on his day off and save my ass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

W--why don't you worry about yourself? I happen to enjoy my time here and, yes, I do take pride in my job and go that extra step to make sure it gets done right. What I do here or on the job should not concern you. You need to move on.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Today is my last day on TAW. When I go in tonight, I'll make sure my truck is clean-inside and out. So I'm ready for Monday. Someone posted earlier about the cigarette smell. I would have to agree, that is the thing I dislike the most...the smell. Not to mention the butts that are stuck in the door track. I once had a cover driver that chewed tobacco and he spit it on the inside of the drivers door while it was closed. That was the worst one. I can handle a little trash, but come on, open the door!

Perhaps I give the boy too much flack, but come on. Why would you go and meet the cover driver when you are on vacation?? There is more to life than UPS. I guess I do not understand why people spend all day delivering boxes and then spend ALL of their free time here spouting off about everything UPS. Not to mention posting while on break. You folks can refer to me however you choose-last piece of toilet paper, last poop, whatever you want. I will not get all frantic. I realize this is merely an internet forum-not to be taken too seriously. Some of you may find yourselves in Mr. Upstates shoes if you keep spending every waking hour on here instead of on your wives. Oops, I mean with your wives.
Some people are just nice that way. I probably wouldn't do that, but I have told other cover drivers to call me on my cell if they get a RR they don't know how to get to. And I'm a cover driver. I once even spent about ten minutes talking a Cover Driver to a few stops while I was one foot away from a Blackjack table in Vegas. I didn't mind cuz I knew it would help the guy out.
You're right, there is more to life than UPS, but life is not just about #1. Why is it so hard to understand that some people would rather read and post here than to watch mindless TV programing? Isn't lunch and break time for rest and relaxation? Some people actually rest while reading these posts.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want you to get frantic. I do ,however, get very tired of those who seem to only care about making others that way.
Why would one take someone else's personal situation that you have no idea of how or why it is what it is and proffer that toward others? The personal life of UpState or myself are simply non of your business.

I have one more question for you. What brings YOU to the Brown Cafe?

browniehound

Hey, don't give that driver to much crap. I've covered a rte and had the regular driver come out on his day off and save my ass.

I second this opinion. Call me crazy, but I once spent the entire morning with a cover driver that didn't know my route. He knew the house calls but was clueless on the businesses.

My daughter had a softball playoff at 3pm and I really wanted to make it. The cover driver really wanted to work. I saw it as a win-win situation as he got to work and now knows another route.

I drove my car out to the route (on my time of course) and had him follow me to each stop. It was probably the best train he will ever get. I left him about noon with just house calls that he had done before.

I would do it again if I needed to see my daughter's game. Sometimes its just not about the money. Me seeing that game was pricless and wouldn't trade the experience for anything:happy2:.

InTheRed

I would do it again if I needed to see my daughter's game. Sometimes its just not about the money. Me seeing that game was pricless and wouldn't trade the experience for anything:happy2:.

Hound,

certainly above and beyond, but the attitude implied is great --- teamwork.

When i started driving the previous driver who had gone off to porter chased me down on the route to resort and talk to me for 10-15 mins on his own time so I could handle the route much better on the apartment complex (EDD was brand new, and completely out of order).

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I second this opinion. Call me crazy, but I once spent the entire morning with a cover driver that didn't know my route. He knew the house calls but was clueless on the businesses.

....................................................................................
Thanks Brownie. My driver that came out to help me has a bitch of a rte. 120/140 stops and 80% of it is business. Plus about 20 P/U's. If you get behind on the rte there is no catching up. He actually came out and did some of the P/U's for me. It was a really bad day that day, going out blind and they didn't pull anything. 1 of his stops is a DES building. Those people (not the word I would use but Hoax would change it anyway) won't sign for anything that does not belong to their dep't, so each dep't has to be del separately. :biting: And everything they get goes by dep't numbers, like I know those. Not! Hell, half the time they don't know the dep't numbers.

browniehound

Thanks Brownie. My driver that came out to help me has a bitch of a rte. 120/140 stops and 80% of it is business. Plus about 20 P/U's. If you get behind on the rte there is no catching up. He actually came out and did some of the P/U's for me. It was a really bad day that day, going out blind and they didn't pull anything. 1 of his stops is a DES building. Those people (not the word I would use but Hoax would change it anyway) won't sign for anything that does not belong to their dep't, so each dep't has to be del separately. :biting: And everything they get goes by dep't numbers, like I know those. Not! Hell, half the time they don't know the dep't numbers.

Hey Dill, I hear ya. I would have helped him move the bundles or swing into a couple of pick-ups that are out the way and don't ship very often. Problem with this is there may be liability issues for UPS. Also, I would never go to a pick-up off the clock in my own car and bring it to the driver. That could be stealing even though it was done in total honesty. I just would never go down that path.

But I would help the blind driver on where to go on my own time because he helped me out. I don't think there is anything against UPS policy with that?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hey Dill, I hear ya. I would have helped him move the bundles or swing into a couple of pick-ups that are out the way and don't ship very often. Problem with this is there may be liability issues for UPS. Also, I would never go to a pick-up off the clock in my own car and bring it to the driver. That could be stealing even though it was done in total honesty. I just would never go down that path.

But I would help the blind driver on where to go on my own time because he helped me out. I don't think there is anything against UPS policy with that?
I had reservations about him doing this as well but he is one of those drivers that never has any problems with mgt. So I left it off, I needed the help. :wink2: