Cover driving - how much notice?

EmraldArcher

My center likes to call me around 7 in the morning and ask me to drive that day.

Can I get into any kind of trouble for not answering my phone, like ever?

If they tell me they need me the night before I'll be there every time but this day-of stuff annoys me.

Also, is there such a thing as being "on-call" for X amount of days?

Indecisi0n

Are you a cover or a casual?

Cover- Your an idiot for taking their calls, go to work.
Casual (not perm)- Suck it up and kiss ass until you make book.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They need to let u know on Friday if they will be needing u to drive for the coming week or if u will be working preload/reload.

You may be confusing PT cover drivers and casuals. Both should be given at least a day's notice when possible; however, casuals are basically "on-call" each day up until start time. It sucks but that is part of the deal.

pretender

My center likes to call me around 7 in the morning and ask me to drive that day.

Can I get into any kind of trouble for not answering my phone, like ever?

If they tell me they need me the night before I'll be there every time but this day-of stuff annoys me.

Also, is there such a thing as being "on-call" for X amount of days?

Maybe it is just me, but I would be grateful to have 1 1/2 hour notice. It was a long time ago, but when I first started driving, I would get the call around 9:30, after they figured out they had too much left in the building. I then had an hour drive, so I would not get on the road much before noon.

If this happens on a regular basis, why don't you just get ready for work every morning, and then you are all set to go when they call you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If this happens on a regular basis, why don't you just get ready for work every morning, and then you are all set to go when they call you.

This is great advice for a single person; however, this would not work out too well if you are married, your spouse works and you have to scramble to arrange day care at the last minute.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Honestly, you should be calling them everyday asking to work.
Eventually, they'd get the idea that you want to be there and work everyday

I don't see nothing wrong with the "on-call" procedure but that could make things dicey if you work another job when you don't brown up.

EmraldArcher

Well not everyone has the flexibility in their life to change from working a 4 hour twilight shift to a 9+ hour normal shift at the drop of a hat.

Are you a cover or a casual?

Cover- Your an idiot for taking their calls, go to work.
Casual (not perm)- Suck it up and kiss ass until you make book.

I'm a qualified cover driver.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Are you friggin' kidding me???!?!?!?!?! You knew the deal when you signed up for it. If you don't like it then step aside and let someone who is interested in a chance to drive have the opportunity. Or maybe the company that has been doing business for over 100 years should change the way they do things, just for you. Geesh!!!

UPSER110

As cover do you mean P/t to reg-temp driver?

I cant tell you how many times they call me at 730 and say we need you today (845 start) and then call back and say we dont need you to calling back and saying come in. I know i shoulndnt answer my phone for the second call but whatever.

UPS has the technology to know how many routes they need and should be able to give you notice the day before. Call offs would only change this.

I would recommend if you want to work show up everyday I guarantee someone would volunteer to go home.

EmraldArcher

Are you friggin' kidding me???!?!?!?!?! You knew the deal when you signed up for it. If you don't like it then step aside and let someone who is interested in a chance to drive have the opportunity. Or maybe the company that has been doing business for over 100 years should change the way they do things, just for you. Geesh!!!

Maybe you could point out in my original post where I suggested that anything should be changed just for me?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

I was simply asking a question about the required procedures for notifying an employee he is need to perform work.

nicky

There are two ways to handle this. One dont answer the phone and report to your primary job. Two, answer the phone and come to work. If you have issues this is one case where I would let the management team know you need more notice to work, that you have to get childcare or whatever it is.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
8 year cover driver here, ANSWER YOUR PHONE. If they call you to come in that morning without a 24 hour notice you get top driver pay. Go in with a smile, when your done call the center and ask if anyone needs help stay out and make o.t.