Covered a full time position but got no lunch or break

Congee

This past Monday, I was covering a shift for a full time employee as I am only part time on our sort. My shift I was covering for the peak season was from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. that was including doing their job and then working on my sort as well, whenever I was finished doing their job and I was getting ready to start our sort I had asked if I could take a 15 minute break to get food. My supervisor had replied that I was just covering a full time employee so I did not get a break, so if I'm not mistaken if I was to work the hours that I did I should at least have gotten a one hour lunch and one or two breaks for 15 minutes thanks to OSHA. I was talking to some of the other employees that day and they said that they agree that I should have gotten a break and they told me to file a grievance. One of the other supervisors had overheard the conversation I guess and had told me that the next day since I'm covering the shift all week that I can take me a lunch for 1 hour everyday all I have to do was ask but when I had asked they said that I didn't get a break or lunch. So were they just telling me that so they wouldn't get in trouble? What can I do about the situation? And it's not like I'm making overtime because they're making me work the full time job just long enough that I don't make over time doing that and that screws me out of overtime on my sort. Would there be a benefit to a grievance if so what would it be and is it worth the hassle that would come?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Go find Stuart.
Stuart-Little.gif

By The Book

This past Monday, I was covering a shift for a full time employee as I am only part time on our sort. My shift I was covering for the peak season was from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. that was including doing their job and then working on my sort as well, whenever I was finished doing their job and I was getting ready to start our sort I had asked if I could take a 15 minute break to get food. My supervisor had replied that I was just covering a full time employee so I did not get a break, so if I'm not mistaken if I was to work the hours that I did I should at least have gotten a one hour lunch and one or two breaks for 15 minutes thanks to OSHA. I was talking to some of the other employees that day and they said that they agree that I should have gotten a break and they told me to file a grievance. One of the other supervisors had overheard the conversation I guess and had told me that the next day since I'm covering the shift all week that I can take me a lunch for 1 hour everyday all I have to do was ask but when I had asked they said that I didn't get a break or lunch. So were they just telling me that so they wouldn't get in trouble? What can I do about the situation? And it's not like I'm making overtime because they're making me work the full time job just long enough that I don't make over time doing that and that screws me out of overtime on my sort. Would there be a benefit to a grievance if so what would it be and is it worth the hassle that would come?
During peak when you do your regular job and other duties, such as driver helper or air driver, etc. you should be getting overtime after 8 hours. Your overtime rate is paid on the job you are doing when you hit 8 hours.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
If I was to file, is it worth the target on my back?
Don't worry about the target on YOUR back. They should be worried about the one on theirs. File on it, also make sure you look at your check, anything after 8 is over time. If they screw that up, then file on that too. You have to keep these people in check or they will screw over some other sucker.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I don't know what I would gain out of it though. I literally lack knowledge of unions and grievance claims have never had to do one.

Would you mind sending me twice your hourly salary a month? You know nothing about me either, but I figure you're OK with it having read this post.