Coyote logistics purchase already eliminating teamster jobs

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Wouldn't there be a perceived liability in pulling another company's equipment?
Besides, redistributing empties is a necessary task in our network.
I would think it would be better business to just put OD's freight in our trailer if it's contractually viable?
I would like to think our union would have limited this practice to the other union freight haulers we represent, when negotiating this concession into the last contract.

You would think...and you would be wrong.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
What does moving someone else's freight have to do with CSPF cuts?

Most non-union freight companies don't even offer a pension to be cut.

Bubblehead probably said it better. Contract other freight to put in our empty trailers. Keeps us in a job.

They spent $2B for Coyote. They will receive all the profits from Coyote. This is almost like UPS going into the truckload business without forming a truckload company.

Now UPS can do it all. From moving a pen to a whale. One call does it all.

It is just a bonus to be able to use Coyote to move our loads during peak.

As an example, UPS owns Liberty Mutual. So why aren't UPS employees insured through Liberty Mutual?

Coyote Logistics
inc5000_num_1631.png

A third-party logistics provider that arranges the transportation of roughly 5,400 shipments per day via a network of 40,000 transportation providers. It offers van, rail and open-deck brokerage services and transportation management services to more than 14,000 shippers, from Fortune 100 companies to small businesses, in many industries across North America.

They're not just using contractors during peak.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This was not the publicly given purpose of this acquisition.

This was not the purpose of the acquisition, at least not yet.

Sleeper runs are given to contractors right now to keep them working so that they will stick around through peak.

There is not enough work for them right now.

It is my understanding that all these sleeper runs will be back after peak and that no sleeper drivers will be laid off.

They may end up working the yard for only 8 hours a day, which is a pay cut, but they should not be laid off. If they are, file for your guarantee.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
I have NO skin in this game,other than being a UPS employee.BUT,after doing some reading about Coyote and who they are and what they do,this is interesting. They are a third party "broker"that connects independent owner/operators with shippers.

This company is in direct competition with,primarily,UPS Freight. And IBT that represents UPS employees. It should concern us. If UPS can use owner/operators to move all of their full loads from hub to hub it will eliminate thousands of jobs.

Why stop at trailer loads? They could,in theory,put a system in place like FedEx Ground/Home delivery that allows independent contractors to run package routes.

I'm not going to delve into the "conspiracy"stuff but UPS management would do anything to keep Wall Street happy.

Inthegame

Sleeper runs are given to contractors right now to keep them working so that they will stick around through peak.
And where in any part of the CBA is that allowed? Want them to stick around? Pay them more.
UPS survived in previous peaks without this horsehockey going on. These runs didn't dry up, instead they're being reassigned to non-employees. Many supplements allow for bumping rights if runs are eliminated. I know of none that allow bumping by a company whim. This is a clear cut seniority violation that is insanely allowed by the IBT.
It is my understanding that all these sleeper runs will be back after peak and that no sleeper drivers will be laid off.
And here I thought the CBA was in effect all 12 months of the year, not suspended during peak.
They may end up working the yard for only 8 hours a day, which is a pay cut, but they should not be laid off. If they are, file for your guarantee.
Billy broker gets the sleeper pay day and our seniority driver gets 8 hours? If any displaced driver gets one minute less than they would have earned on THEIR BID RUN, someone should be in jail for theft.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And to think there are still some company guys who believe coyote is not affecting teamsters.... You ppl need to be educated....
It's the fing international union that needs to wake up.... What the hell are they doing back there... I know they can't spend 100% of their time dealing with ups problems but first sure post and now thus with the coyotes....enough is enough

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's the fing international union that needs to wake up.... What the hell are they doing back there... I know they can't spend 100% of their time dealing with ups problems but first sure post and now thus with the coyotes....enough is enough

There is a division within the national dedicated to UPS issues.