Cracked Window

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It isn't done by a glass company. Your inhouse mechanic has it shipped in. He will do it. The side window breaks occasionally. Branches slamming in the mirrors. Or, being parked. Glad you did say something to him when you did it. Otherwise you should be worried.

Rainman

Its all good.
In my building a cracked mirror is a crash. We've had 3 guys I personally know get 30 days in the street for writing up busted mirrors on the DVIR and not reporting them as an accident. 3 more including me charged with crashes because of tree limbs hitting the mirror and breaking the glass. Different buildings, different rules. It sucks.

PT Car Washer

In my building a cracked mirror is a crash. We've had 3 guys I personally know get 30 days in the street for writing up busted mirrors on the DVIR and not reporting them as an accident. 3 more including me charged with crashes because of tree limbs hitting the mirror and breaking the glass. Different buildings, different rules. It sucks.
I too have cracked mirrors on telephone poles and tree branches and going through the car wash. Smacked one on another city bus mirror. Bus driver never stopped so I just called it in. Write it up is all I was ever told.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I nick the window of the other package car, cracking it, and start freaking. Should I be worried or is it fine?

You'll be fine.

I cracked a side window once....
UPS1.jpg
UPS2.jpg

...and a headlight, a radiator, an engine, a hood cowl, a front grill, the front windshield, and several other parts.

:censored2: happens! You will be ok!

Packmule

It, ummm, cracked while adjusting. Yeah, that's what happened. Really. For sure. Yup.
This only works for broken mirrors. Side windows can only be broken when driers cause the mirrors to become loose due to folding them in at every stop. Then the wind catches the mirror and slams it against the side window.
Yup. That's how that happens.

Future

Victory Ride
You will be fine....had a driver not to long ago 3days in a row come in the morning to find window cracked and or mirror....rush job for the mechanic....did piss the driver off also

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Absolutely right, They have become so anal here. Our trucks were so tight Christmas eve morning. A year ago I would have moved it. mirror frame on mirror,Mirror on window, frame behind door frame.
Different size cars, and a stack table behind one, made it a mirror tangle. I went and got the center manager to move it, or to assure me I wouldn't be charged if one broke. He moved it. I believe I could have got it out, but I am not taking chances anymore.

Future

Victory Ride
Absolutely right, They have become so anal here. Our trucks were so tight Christmas eve morning. A year ago I would have moved it. mirror frame on mirror,Mirror on window, frame behind door frame.
Different size cars, and a stack table behind one, made it a mirror tangle. I went and got the center manager to move it, or to assure me I wouldn't be charged if one broke. He moved it. I believe I could have got it out, but I am not taking chances anymore.
Yes.....i personally dont have this problem but a few others do.....they do exactly what you stated.....the smart and correct procedure

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've scratched the hell out of so many trucks thanks to them being parked so close I've lost count. And the most I've ever heard about it is WHOA STOP! It happens. Like what was said before, you reported it so your ass is covered. It's easier and cheaper for them to glue in some glass than have an accident on paper.

oldupsman

It isn't done by a glass company. Your inhouse mechanic has it shipped in. He will do it. The side window breaks occasionally. Branches slamming in the mirrors. Or, being parked. Glad you did say something to him when you did it. Otherwise you should be worried.

Another one of those depends where you ate. All are broken windows were done by an outside glass company.
The only glass are mechanics ever replaced were mirrors.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've scratched the hell out of so many trucks thanks to them being parked so close I've lost count. And the most I've ever heard about it is WHOA STOP! It happens. Like what was said before, you reported it so your ass is covered. It's easier and cheaper for them to glue in some glass than have an accident on paper.
I know its easier for me, lol.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Another one of those depends where you ate. All are broken windows were done by an outside glass company.
The only glass are mechanics ever replaced were mirrors.

Yes we have our shop fix those triangle glass. We are a very rural center. We break a dozen ---or so. A yr. As long as we call in. It is fixed w -o hassle. One driver broke one 4 weeks strait. Mechanic has a couple boxes extra

Future

Victory Ride
All peak was lmao....have another seasoned vet driver next to me newer p1000 he drives.....they had a huge rental across from him....you could barely fit a fart down the center and two rookies had to do it every day b4 we could get out.....like clock work they would catch his bumper and literally move his truck inches over....totally missing mine(same size p1000) and the rental ...his actions where priceless each day ....would just look over at him and have a good laugh b4 leaving the building......there was usually a sup trying to guide them through the tight fit each day but it just didnt matter!lol