Creative delivery methods

Yesterday I had a nsn "3669" so I called the number...no answer. I saw a 3696 so I went to the door and called twice, the phone rang both times. So I did an address correction in the board and dr'd it.

Check mail in mailbox or if there is a number on the inside the box.

Delivered by GPS. Drive down the road scaning pkg at every house.

If nobody is home check the resistration in the car.

I was wondering if others have some other creative delivering methods to know you are at the right place?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My creative del earned me a customer complaint. Actually it was all that creative. I del an ink cartridge at a gate knowing full well there were dogs in the yard(it was after dark and there was no way I was going in the yard). It stayed out side all night and probably had frost on it in the morning. Wasn't worried about that, it was already shipped in a plastic bag. Cust. said it rained and was ruined. Bitched because I didn't put it at the door. Said that she was expecting a printer and that I better not throw it over the fence. Said she had to sign for the printer. LOL The same day I got the complaint I had the printer. When the sup was talking to me about it I found the printer and told him it wasn't sig req. I dropped the printer and another ink cartridge (at the front door). It probably stayed out all night too. Yesterday I had to drive by and it looked like the printer was still sitting on the porch, just in a different place. Oh well, some people just aren't happy unless they complain.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Yesterday I had a nsn "3669" so I called the number...no answer. I saw a 3696 so I went to the door and called twice, the phone rang both times. So I did an address correction in the board and dr'd it.

Check mail in mailbox or if there is a number on the inside the box.

Delivered by GPS. Drive down the road scaning pkg at every house.

If nobody is home check the resistration in the car.

I was wondering if others have some other creative delivering methods to know you are at the right place?

Dude, you have way too much time on your hands. If the number doesn't exist, it's a nsn and I'm off to the next delivery. That's what UPS hires the clerks for.

govols019 said:
That has saved me several NSN's

Saved you NSN's? Are you penalized for nsn's or something? The shipper is charged a fee for address corrections so why not let the clerks earn their keep?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Dude, you have way too much time on your hands. If the number doesn't exist, it's a nsn and I'm off to the next delivery. That's what UPS hires the clerks for.

Saved you NSN's? Are you penalized for nsn's or something? The shipper is charged a fee for address corrections so why not let the clerks earn their keep?

My point exactly - 30 seconds MAX and I'm on to the next stop

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I've used the phone call trick before. House had no number on the front, package had a phone number on it. I called the number, and then the house phone started ringing. DR, SD, Stop Complete. One less send again.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I driver released a large oversize package in the cab of a pickup truck yesterday. It was pouring down rain and no other safe place to leave it. No way would I dig through somebody's glovebox looking for a registration though. I have been using the cell phone trick for several years now. I also check in the mailbox to verify the correct address if I have a bad street number on a package. Plus I use the old standby, a local telephone book to look up bad addresses.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The only way I would care to do anything remotely close those scenarios would be if it was a Bowflex or a Select Comfort Bed. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time, time I'm selling to UPS.

pkgdriver

What if the NSN is a good #?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If these people are too dumb to put a house number where people can see it, then I am in no hurry to deliver their package.

L/U NSN
I agree with you Heff. I'm frequently on rural rtes and it just ticks me off when I can't find addresses and then customers get pissed when they don't get their pkgs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I agree with you Heff. I'm frequently on rural rtes and it just ticks me off when I can't find addresses and then customers get pissed when they don't get their pkgs.

I called a person one time trying to locate him. His responce was "You put mail in my mailbox every day- you know where I live". Then he hung up on me. -------------------------------I sent his package back- "refused". Some people are just plain idiots.:angry:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I called a person one time trying to locate him. His responce was "You put mail in my mailbox every day- you know where I live". Then he hung up on me. -------------------------------I sent his package back- "refused". Some people are just plain idiots.:angry:
LOL That's funny.

The rte that I'm doing this week is one that I do frequently, so I know it very well and I know many of the customers. This rte has a school district on it that includes Elem, Middle and High schools plus bus barn, District off and maintenance. 2 yrs ago the bus barn did all rcvg. That changed. Now all del are made to each individual office. I worked with the DO to get everyone on the same page and to make sure all addresses were corrected. Caveat: If the school name was on the pkg I would make sure the pkgs were del to the proper office.

Earlier this week I had 2 pkgs wiht just a name on it. I took it to the bus barn (where it was addressed to). The lady in the office, whom I have known for many years (I used to work with her) just laughed and shook her head. I knew she was not going to accept it, so I told her to refuse it if she wanted and I would RTS it. She jumped on that. She, like myself, is getting very tired of babysitting the staff because they are to lazy to fix addresses with their shippers. Every time I have to A/C a pkg I let the office know that they need to fix the address.

govols019

You smell that?

They are not charged for an address correction if it was a good address.

You do know that delivering to the correct house is kinda our job, right? They pay us over $28 an hour to do it. If it takes me 20 minutes to find a house what do I care?

satellitedriver

I've used the phone call trick before. House had no number on the front, package had a phone number on it. I called the number, and then the house phone started ringing. DR, SD, Stop Complete. One less send again.
Cool, as soon as UPS puts phones in pkg cars I will try that trick.
Til then, NSN.
I hate driver follow ups.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If it takes you 20 minutes to find a house you're in the wrong line of work. You are supposed to deliver entire sub-divisions in 20 minutes. Just ask your boss. His name is Edd.

It actually took me maybe 4-5 minutes because of the long walk to the house. We arn't allowed to dr an address corrected pkg. Although I do if I see the name on the house. Many times the pkg. will go back on car 3 more times then postcarded so it could have saved a lot of time.