Creepy

Alleycar

I have the county dept of health on my route and, sadly, have done the dog head delivery thing. For whatever reason, dead dogs upset me far more than human parts or cremains /shrug

S

serenity now

Had a delivery for a funeral home. No answer at the front. Walked in side door. Dead guy laying on table. Nice.

word of caution for new drivers: at a funeral home delivery, never open a door that you have not been through before * if you can't find someone up front or in the halls; NI1

S

serenity now

I'm amazed by cadaver dogs in boats that find bodies in the water. I guess we continue to release bodily gasses after death and it rises to the top of the lake and they can smell it.

Dogs' sense of smell overpowers our own by orders of magnitude—it's 10,000 to 100,000 times as acute, scientists say. "Let's suppose they're just 10,000 times better," says James Walker, former director of the Sensory Research Institute at Florida State University, who, with several colleagues, came up with that jaw-dropping estimate during a rigorously designed, oft-cited study. "If you make the analogy to vision, what you and I can see at a third of a mile, a dog could see more than 3,000 miles away and still see as well."

over9five

Staff member
A friend of mine used to deliver to a funeral home. He always told us of this beautiful young girl who signed for the packages that he delivered. One day he couldn't find her in the office, so he walked out back.
Well, he found her. One of the jobs of this beautiful, cute little girl was to straighten the bodies that came in. She was working on some naked 90 year old mans body. They don't come in all straight, with their hands folded nicely like when you see them in the box! Some one has to do that....

Ms.PacMan

Dogs' sense of smell overpowers our own by orders of magnitude—it's 10,000 to 100,000 times as acute, scientists say. "Let's suppose they're just 10,000 times better," says James Walker, former director of the Sensory Research Institute at Florida State University, who, with several colleagues, came up with that jaw-dropping estimate during a rigorously designed, oft-cited study. "If you make the analogy to vision, what you and I can see at a third of a mile, a dog could see more than 3,000 miles away and still see as well."
And they smell in layers!

The smells don't all get mixed together like when you have candles and tires on your truck the same day :sick:

barnyard

KTM rider
I covered a route for 4 years. I had door codes for both funeral homes where I could put things and never have to go in the front door.

While I was covering that route, 1 of my customers died. I put in an 8 hour request and took my whole break/lunch at his wake. I was originally going to go home, shower and change; but I would not have made it back in time.

Anyways, I went right to the office and asked the funeral guys if it would be disrespectful to stand in the viewing line in my brown costume (I am tearing up typing this) and started to choke a bit. The dude shook my hand and said, "No one will think that, they will be happy you thought enough to stop."

He was right. The family all knew who I was and knew about my family and were happy to 'finally meet me in person.' He was the shipping guy on my last pickup and would help load up the truck. Took about 5 minutes and it boggles my mind the amount of stuff we talked about in those 5 minutes. We talked families, past careers (he was in Vietnam, his job was to recover parachute troops that died on the jump), we both rode motorcycles and talked about riding all the time.

Right before he died, I rode a couple of Patriot Guard missions. I told Jim about it and the affect it had on me. He talked about it with his family and had decided that that riding season, he was going to ride every Patriot Guard mission in Mn that season. He rode out to see his daughter for his 1st ride and a 90 year old guy, pulled out in front of him on a 55 mph road. Jim hit him and died 2 days later.

I don't know what the point of all that was, but I am glad that I know the funeral home guys on route.

Nolimitz

I have a semi-reg PU at a tissue recovery place. ie skin, tendons, etc. 70-80lbs boxes of people pieces. refused one once due to leakage. that was gross.