Crooked Supervisors

hyena

We have a few in our center that is starting to do some crooked things to get certain ones canned. For ex. they purposely misload packages after the ones loading it clocked out. I heard they are trying to weed out a lot of employees that have been there a while now since we are under a new contract so they can hire fresh people that have to wait a year for insurance so they can do it to them later down the road.
I believe it Ive seen something similar at my center!

atatbl

UPS Cost Accounting accrues employee charge per hour worked based on a geographic average. There would be no incentive to the center manager for having employees with or without insurance ... cost would be the same.
The reason this accounting practice is used is to keep this type of alledged behavior from happening.

TS.......

OWNED.jpg
by Hoaxster

tieguy

Banned
We have a few in our center that is starting to do some crooked things to get certain ones canned. For ex. they purposely misload packages after the ones loading it clocked out.

Did you witness this activity? If you did then you should call the 1 800 number and report it anonymously. If you did not and this is heresy then you should not engage in rumor mongering that smears the reputation of others.

I heard they are trying to weed out a lot of employees that have been there a while now since we are under a new contract so they can hire fresh people that have to wait a year for insurance so they can do it to them later down the road.

This is absolutely asinine. I hope you're not that stupid.
My point again is this is clearly someone feeding you heresy or drummed up rumors. Now put yourself in the shoes of a supervisor. Is that supervisor going to go through all the work it takes to get someone fired just so he can then go through all the work of training a new person to replace you? Why are you creating a thread on crooked supervisors based on some half cocked information someone else is feeding you? I certainly hope you are never convicted of a crime as easily as you just convicted those supervisors by starting this thread.

Fnix

When some one is fired or quits how much money do you think it takes to hire someone new??? Its not free it cost more than you think to pay someone for the training, back ground checks, etc. I could go on not to even mention when someone new comes on board all the training that has to be done w/ them. They start loading in trlrs, a p/t sup stays w/ them for 3 days at least to train on everything. I know we all love the annual training that everyone has to keep up every so often DOK, Habits, 8 keys lower/lift thats just a few so as for people getting fired for those kinds of reasons? Come on half the B/S that goes around is just that B/S.

Training and background checks? I wish my center would do this! :knockedout:

LiL"Comet"

:wink2:Fnix just reviewed this thread again actually I thought it was company wide, there's a back ground check on everyone. Once a new employee comes through the 1st interview process there back ground check it sent off before moving on further(other wise waste of time if have something on background). Then when it comes back then the process continues..... I'm very curious now gonna find out?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Been here 6 years never seen an employee fired.

If someone's finally getting fired after they screwed up for the 20th time in 5 years after multiple suspensions they are usually told to resign & they'll get unemployment for 26 weeks. The Union has recommended this numerous times to the loosers.

browniehound

I believe this was posted by a troll, but I'll bite.

I think the manager could be the most crooked person in the entire company and still not do what you are accusing him of doing.

I don't know very much about what the center manger's balance sheet looks like. Does he actually see what his labor costs in dollars was for the month? Am I being naive to think he doesn't see the dollar amount each employee cost him in wages and benefits?

I thought they were more concerned in controlling overall hours and the over 9.5's and 10's. I say this because I have witnessed many times a driver still in his wage progression getting help from a driver at top rate.

Now, if was a small business it would make the most business sense to let the person making $22 (OT) stay out there and deliver instead of sending the driver making $42 (wasting the fuel too) to take 15 stops to keep the $22/hour guy under 9.5 hours.

This doesn't happen at UPS. I don't know if its concious or not, but my managers have never took into account that some drivers make $20 less than the top-rate drivers when OT is being paid. Its always been the goal of keeping as many people under 9.5 as possible.

Thats fine if everyone was making the same $$. So I ask to somedody in management (HI TIE can you respond?), does the center manager see the amount he pays in labor each month on a report? Or does he just follow the UPS method of over 8 hours of work and under 9.5? I can't fathom the company not showing the center manager how his "business" did for the month, but I question it everytime I see him stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickle.

As for the management setting up certain employees because they make too much money, I doubt this very much.

Brownie:peaceful:

Channahon

Every operation has a cost plan and is held accountable to make the plan, which includes every expense in the center, from payroll, automotive, plant engineering, outside services, claims, auto and employee injuries, and other expenses to name a few.

So yes, the manager does get a cost statement every month to see how they are managing their cost.

Then they have the distinct pleasure of reviewing their cost in a division meeting. Present in the room can be the district manager, controller and HR manager who all have a part in supporting the operation.

As far as UPS management looking to get rid of high paid hourly employees, well there was a lawsuit at FedEx for the exact reason, which may still be in litigation. I have never in my career been advised or attended any meeting where this type of discussion was held. I actually find it offensive to the integrity of UPS. Just my retired thoughts on the subject.

browniehound

Channahon,
Thanks for the response. I was sure UPS wouldn't put someone in charge of an operation without letting he or she know exactly where every penny was being spent.

You spoke of a division meeting to review where the center's money was being spent. Something tells me its dreaded by the center manager. Something also tells me that I will continue to enjoy my time as an hourly!
Once I punch out, I'm done and there is nothing UPS can ask me to do. I'm content at where I ended up.

Thanks again for your insight Chan.

Brownie:peaceful:

Bad Gas!

We have a few in our center that is starting to do some crooked things to get certain ones canned. For ex. they purposely misload packages after the ones loading it clocked out.

Did you witness this activity? If you did then you should call the 1 800 number and report it anonymously. If you did not and this is heresy then you should not engage in rumor mongering that smears the reputation of others.

I heard they are trying to weed out a lot of employees that have been there a while now since we are under a new contract so they can hire fresh people that have to wait a year for insurance so they can do it to them later down the road.

This is absolutely asinine. I hope you're not that stupid.
My point again is this is clearly someone feeding you heresy or drummed up rumors. Now put yourself in the shoes of a supervisor. Is that supervisor going to go through all the work it takes to get someone fired just so he can then go through all the work of training a new person to replace you? Why are you creating a thread on crooked supervisors based on some half cocked information someone else is feeding you? I certainly hope you are never convicted of a crime as easily as you just convicted those supervisors by starting this thread.

browniehound

I have never in my career been advised or attended any meeting where this type of discussion was held. I actually find it offensive to the integrity of UPS. Just my retired thoughts on the subject.

I agree about the statement's offensiveness and believe that this type of discussion probably didn't occur at any meetings at UPS.

That being said, I think the board of directors and management comittee should be watched just as they watch every employee in the company. Especially if you're a share holder. Its just simple dilegence.

These people have a lot of power and influence because they control a company that produces revenue at the tune of tens of billions of dollars.

People with control of this amount of money want to protect it (obviously) and may resort to illegal activites to do so (I'm not saying its happened with UPS, but its happened many times with people with lots of money and they should be watched as they watch us).

As I write the above thought it becomes more assurd to me that UPS is worried about 2 or 3 employees making $20/hour instead of $16!. They are worried about the 10 billion in fuel costs this year and not about John Smith making top rate and recieving full health benefits.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Every operation has a cost plan and is held accountable to make the plan, which includes every expense in the center, from payroll, automotive, plant engineering, outside services, claims, auto and employee injuries, and other expenses to name a few.

Unfortunately, this "plan" seldom if ever has any basis in reality, and is all too often dreamed up by someone who has never even been to the operation he is planning for and has no concept of what actually goes on there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Then they have the distinct pleasure of reviewing their cost in a division meeting. Present in the room can be the district manager, controller and HR manager who all have a part in supporting the operation.

I was actually able to spy on one of these meetings. I listened thru the door and was even able to take a picture with my cellphone camera. I couldnt understand everything that was said, I just heard a deep voice saying "assume the position" and then I heard someone else screaming out "Thank you sir! may I have another?" a few times. It sounded like my center manager, but it was hard to tell. I did learn that Corporate apparently requires center-level and lower sups to wear tighty whities.
0916082158[1].jpg