Curious - Time From Initial Employ to FT Driver

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilligaf you lucked out... Most of your fellow AZ drivers waited 6 years.
Yes, I agree. Right now I have 5 drivers below me. 2 are transfers, the other 3 started out PT and have moved up in less that a year. Until we have some drivers retire it will be statis quo for awhile. 2 drivers can retire anytime they want to. Sure wish they would hurry up.:happy2:

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
hey now, you never know. This IS UPS, management DOES sometimes completely ignore the contract, play favorites and take care of certain people over others.

I agree with you sounds fishy and alot of false promises to keep the new guy happy and keep the coffee and donuts train from derailing :biting::biting: ---,

but we don't know the person's situation either, if theyre in a small center or hub, etc. If they work in a hub - you know as well as I ( well maybe not) that seniority is often neglected for playing favorites while the stewards sort smalls and shed a blind eye to this stuff.

Yeah I understand. However, in order to drive there are DOT requirements as well? right?

I would love to know how they by-pass all of that.

The stewards in your building work smalls also...hmmm...interesting....lol

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Full time driving is different than Saturdays. Although I was surprised that seniority did not factor in here. As tight as ups is..I'm floored that they would invest in someone that hasn't even been qualified yet for their hired in position.

Im still trying to figure out what the intranet tests were!

I think the internet test were only the safety skills multiple choice test that everyone has to take, but new hires get it when they first start. They by no means carry any weight as far as driving is concerned.

I realize the requirements are different as well, for Sat and friend/T. However, DOT regulations don't change, UPS would be putting themselves at a serious risk sticking someone in a PC that is not DOT qualified...I would think...but then again...I probably shouldn't..lol!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Pretty sure you won't be driving for DOT or UPS in two weeks. Its not happening, especially with UPS NDA's?
  • DMV records are required
  • Physical & Drug Test- results)
  • Uniforms
  • Driving Test
  • Driver Training School?
  • Diad training?
  • Senority?
  • Driver wait list. You have to be with UPS for six months before you can drive.
Someone is pulling your leg. You have only been there a week. The first four days are $25 training days.

When was your actual first day? Today...

Have you taken the week long drivers class that is now mandatory by DOT?

Sorry to burst your bubble but slow down.....

What you are saying SOUNDS right. In fact, everyone outside of UPS says the same thing.

However, I have my DOT physical in an hour, drug screen was clean. Both states where I have DLs came back clear. Driving test is tomorrow. And my uniform fits well.

AS for $25 training days, LOL! Never told about that. My training consisted of 7 words - Here's a truck. Unload it. Labels up.

I report bright & early Saturday.

I don't at all doubt what you say is SOP, but I have to tell you, it doesn't matter to me!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I think the internet test were only the safety skills multiple choice test that everyone has to take, but new hires get it when they first start. They by no means carry any weight as far as driving is concerned.

Manager plugged in my employeer ID, punched a bunch of numbers, and 70-80 different tests popped up (yes, multiple choice) everything from safety, lifting, to diad, backing, driving, etc.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
What you are saying SOUNDS right. In fact, everyone outside of UPS says the same thing.

However, I have my DOT physical in an hour, drug screen was clean. Both states where I have DLs came back clear. Driving test is tomorrow. And my uniform fits well.

AS for $25 training days, LOL! Never told about that. My training consisted of 7 words - Here's a truck. Unload it. Labels up.

I don't at all doubt what you say is SOP, but I have to tell you, it doesn't matter to me!

Wow...You'll get your check tomorrow (I assume if it is the same everywhere) and it will be $100 minus taxes. Pretty sure of it. If your really driving and they got you a uniform before they ever knew if you would work out. Well than that is great too..for you!

Just hope nothing (god forbid) ever happens to ya....
I mean no disrespect to ya....
but with no formal training from UPS at all.
NOT such a swift move on their part....

HR get a worker ASAP!!! and make sure he can drive!!

Your experience sems nothing like anyone elses...but hey CONGRATS!

bellesotico

BOXstar

I have to say that is the fastest I have ever heard of anyone moving into Saturdays. And for that I would be a little wary. The master agreement is clear on seniority..so you might want to just double check it with the union steward. Make sure you are going to get paid according to the contract.

I don't know anything about the $25 training days..maybe that is a new agreement thing..
But I have to say...what you are having to do..or rather the order in which they are having you do it in..is quite different than what I had to do to qualify.
Before I did anything I had to go get a CL. Then I had to pass the road test before they invested in my MDOT phys. I wasn't required to do a drug screen. Per fed regulation at the time perhaps. I then had to apply for the job online and that had to be processed as well as my DMV. That took two weeks alone! After HR notified our in house HR I was clear..they ordered my uniforms.
So yeah..maybe it's just different other places..but as a new hire..you need to really be careful. Ask alot of questions.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I have to say that is the fastest I have ever heard of anyone moving into Saturdays. And for that I would be a little wary. The master agreement is clear on seniority..so you might want to just double check it with the union steward. Make sure you are going to get paid according to the contract.

I don't know anything about the $25 training days..maybe that is a new agreement thing..
But I have to say...what you are having to do..or rather the order in which they are having you do it in..is quite different than what I had to do to qualify.
Before I did anything I had to go get a CL. Then I had to pass the road test before they invested in my MDOT phys. I wasn't required to do a drug screen. Per fed regulation at the time perhaps. I then had to apply for the job online and that had to be processed as well as my DMV. That took two weeks alone! After HR notified our in house HR I was clear..they ordered my uniforms.
So yeah..maybe it's just different other places..but as a new hire..you need to really be careful. Ask alot of questions.

This is pretty much the same here as well...they will not even waste their time on your phys. if ya can't and haven't passed the driving test.

Yeah...for me...still don't buy it...I say the catch is coming.

Mike Hawk

Brown nosing can only get you so far, going FT(any extra work for that matter) is determined by seniority, something you have none of. IF you were given a FT position over anyone else with higher seniority then they could grieve it and take it. I could see you getting trained as a Sat. driver, but working no.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
and yeah......I also find it hard to believe that UPS was like...

OKAY HERE YOU GO WE'RE GIVING YOU THIS UNIFORM...AND YOU ARE NOW A REPRESENTATION OF UPS before we ever know:

• if you can drive
  • never mind drive...drive stick
  • never mind drive stick...drive a box truck
  • without a physical
  • without DOT approval
  • without an online application
  • without a physical 10yr (DOT req) driving abstract
  • without a drug test
I mean no disrespect to ya, but you wouldn't be wearing one of my uniforms just yet.

I don't even know your character yet??
How are you going to treat my customers or react for that matter, if ya get mad or upset??

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
“…I have to say that is the fastest I have ever heard of anyone moving into Saturdays. And for that I would be a little wary. The master agreement is clear on seniority..so you might want to just double check it with the union steward. Make sure you are going to get paid according to the contract.

So yeah..maybe it's just different other places..but as a new hire..you need to really be careful. Ask alot of questions….”

“…This is pretty much the same here as well...they will not even waste their time on your phys. if ya can't and haven't passed the driving test.

Yeah...for me...still don't buy it...I say the catch is coming….”

“…and yeah......I also find it hard to believe that UPS was like...

OKAY HERE YOU GO WE'RE GIVING YOU THIS UNIFORM...AND YOU ARE NOW A REPRESENTATION OF UPS before we ever know:

if you can drive
never mind drive...drive stick
never mind drive stick...drive a box truck
without a physical
without DOT approval
without an online application
without a physical 10yr (DOT req) driving abstract
without a drug test
I mean no disrespect to ya, but you wouldn't be wearing one of my uniforms just yet.

I don't even know your character yet??
How are you going to treat my customers or react for that matter, if ya get mad or upset??…”

It is important to understand this - (no, not a catch) - I DO NOT know how this is supposed to work, don't know what the "proper" procedure is, but I CAN tell you this - I am happy with how it is going.

Now, To clarify a few things -
- I have extensive past Commercial driving experience
- I don't know why they gave me the MDOT physical today and are giving me the road test tomorrow. Don't care either. (Passed the physical, with one hitch - I take a medication that my Family Dr. had to sign off on, saying it would not affect my driving)
- I DID apply for the driving job online - at the direction of HR - called a "Utility Driver Application" if I recall. Did that yesterday.
- DMV records WERE run, for all states I ever had a license in
- I have the ABILITY to drive any vehicle, box to triples. HR is aware of this for reasons I won't go into here. Heck, my personal car is bigger than the box trucks delivery drivers use. Try driving a 53 Dodge box truck w/a crash box & no power anything.

Now, as for my character;

For the week before my interview, the week after, I was in constant communication with - everyone at UPS. They know me quite well, as well as knowing my intentions - to become a full time driver.

My stating that my original training was "here's a truck. Unload it. Labels up" is true. And I did so from 3am to 8am or so every day. What I neglected to say was that I then would go home, take a shower, and be back at UPS at 9am, and I personally met everyone I could, asked all the questions I could. When management pulled me aside to ask me what I was doing, I said "I want to be a UPS driver sooner than anyone else ever has, my name is XXXXXXXXXX". I answered everyone this way.

8 ways to pick up a box. 5 ways to walk/stand. Everything I could learn. Asked continually for computer training, booklets, etc. And stayed till 4pm every day trying to learn, showing commitment. This after pulling no fewer than 1400/hr EVERY DAY.

No, the above may not havbe been enough. I had always assumed everyone who takes such a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: starting job did so because they want to be a driver someday. Turns out, of the 20 others in my position, only one other guy wants to be a driver. (Side Note - He is driving Saturdays after 2 months, taking testing for FT driver now) Every other guy in my position there is there for the benefits. A couple guys who paint for a living, a few farmers, a few guys who just want to go home and sleep.

I have the best attitude in the building. I have more drive than anyone in a 3 mile radius. I'd like to think that they saw that.

But you know what? Whether it is the above, or that the HR manager is on crack, I DON'T CARE! I'm getting where I wanted to be.

I'm kinda dissappointed y'all are pissing on my Wheaties

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
8 ways to pick up a box. 5 ways to walk/stand. Everything I could learn. Asked continually for computer training, booklets, etc. And stayed till 4pm every day trying to learn, showing commitment. This after pulling no fewer than 1400/hr EVERY DAY.

I'm kinda dissappointed y'all are pissing on my Wheaties

Hey, not trying to piss on your weaties...trying more to simply open your eyes and if all this works out for you, fabulous! You should also look at it this way. Here you are... into your second week, getting ready to
drive---and there are people all over that have had to wait their turn...if that makes sense. Maybe Saturday Air is different where ever you are and maybe b/c your in a smaller facility it's different..I would still think the next closest UPS facility has people on a waiting list.

Whatever...though good for you!

I will correct you on your methods that you "learned":
  • The eight (8) steps of Lifting/Lowering
  • The five (5) steps to Slips/Falls
:wink2:

bellesotico

BOXstar
Definitely not trying to "piss on your wheaties"..but can you blame someone for being curious? I mean seriously. According to your posts you have only been with ups for 9 days now...and to be completely blunt with you..it all sounds completely far fetched. BUT...if it is happening..I think it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Definitely not trying to "piss on your wheaties"..but can you blame someone for being curious? I mean seriously. According to your posts you have only been with ups for 9 days now...and to be completely blunt with you..it all sounds completely far fetched. BUT...if it is happening..I think it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

I will preface this with "NO OFFENSE TO BENEFITS ARE GREAT"

But we should go work in his center...sounds like one of us could be a CEO in just a few short months...lol!