Curious - Time From Initial Employ to FT Driver

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Well at least tell us your score!

I mean..gosh!!! Over achiever!!! LOL :) I just want to know if you beat my score..lol

Well, let me preface it with this - I don't know what the score means, and I may be completely botching it, but here is what I got out of it....

I think from what he told me you start at 0, and in the whole test you have to have less than 120 "Demerits", points scored against you.

Preface it more by saying he let me ride it around the center a few times, because, not only can you not download to 1st gear (which I already knew), but downloading into second on this specific truck was hard, because it was worn and the clutch was "funny". Oh, and "third gear on this one is a real bitch".

Not making excuses - I REALLY screwed up the shifting, searching for gears, and most of my "demerits" were for shifting. Others were for 10-2 holding the wheel (old habit, for 20 years I've rested my right hand on the shift knob while driving. No jokes please.

I scored a 90.

90 out of what, I have no idea, but I passed. If I had 20 minutes of practice in the truck first, it would have been a breeze.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Well, let me preface it with this - I don't know what the score means, and I may be completely botching it, but here is what I got out of it....

I think from what he told me you start at 0, and in the whole test you have to have less than 120 "Demerits", points scored against you.

Preface it more by saying he let me ride it around the center a few times, because, not only can you not download to 1st gear (which I already knew), but downloading into second on this specific truck was hard, because it was worn and the clutch was "funny". Oh, and "third gear on this one is a real bitch".

Not making excuses - I REALLY screwed up the shifting, searching for gears, and most of my "demerits" were for shifting. Others were for 10-2 holding the wheel (old habit, for 20 years I've rested my right hand on the shift knob while driving. No jokes please.

I scored a 90.

90 out of what, I have no idea, but I passed. If I had 20 minutes of practice in the truck first, it would have been a breeze.

You got 90 demerits. Which basically means you need to work on some things. Your shifting would not account for the bulk of your demerits. If I remember correctly you only get demerits for shifting if you stall out.
You can refer back to your road test copy and see what you need to work on.
Remember, once you go through your training you will go through methods with an on car sup and then get qualified. So you need to know what your weak points are.

I can't believe they only had you drive around the center!!! :surprised:

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
You got 90 demerits. Which basically means you need to work on some things. Your shifting would not account for the bulk of your demerits. If I remember correctly you only get demerits for shifting if you stall out.
You can refer back to your road test copy and see what you need to work on.
Remember, once you go through your training you will go through methods with an on car sup and then get qualified. So you need to know what your weak points are.

I can't believe they only had you drive around the center!!! :surprised:

Ummm...here comes Storm (the big jerk)....
It would be my deduction based on the prior conversation that there is no time for "training" or "methods" for that matter....he starts driving tomorrow! (joking!)

congrats benefits!!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Ummm...here comes Storm (the big jerk)....
It would be my deduction based on the prior conversation that there is no time for "training" or "methods" for that matter....he starts driving tomorrow! (joking!)

congrats benefits!!

I'm usually quite bright, but I don't understand what you are saying?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Yes, but what does this mean?

Alright...I know I have been hard on you...but it is not you personally. It is more the fact that center isn't following procedures. That is certainly a
benefit to you....

and now you have another decision to make regarding your go-tee or goa-ty or goat-tee or what ever.......

I don't wanna send ya over the edge...

Just know I am messing with you... I am happy for ya...but I am still gonna break your baseballs! Smile guy!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Alright...I know I have been hard on you...but it is not you personally. It is more the fact that center isn't following procedures. That is certainly a
benefit to you....

and now you have another decision to make regarding your go-tee or goa-ty or goat-tee or what ever.......

I don't wanna send ya over the edge...

Just know I am messing with you... I am happy for ya...but I am still gonna break your baseballs! Smile guy!

No harm, no foul...

I can tell you, if there is ever a point I feel over my head, yes, I will grab someone and tell them I need more training. The DIAD, I obviously need more practice, but the method/theory is clear. Driving is a no-brainer, and rules are clearly defined

(NOTE: Reading threads about being fired for no seatbelt, upset about same - how can you complain? Rules can't be any more clear - Wear it or prepare your resume. You don't have to like the rules, agree with the rules, you have to follow the rules. Welcome to life, have a seat.)

Do I feel qualified to do what I am doing? I'd have to say yes. Now, should I tell my superiors "Hey, I want to slow down my advancement here because I understand this normally takes longer"?

Would you?

gostillerz

No harm, no foul...

I can tell you, if there is ever a point I feel over my head, yes, I will grab someone and tell them I need more training. The DIAD, I obviously need more practice, but the method/theory is clear. Driving is a no-brainer, and rules are clearly defined

(NOTE: Reading threads about being fired for no seatbelt, upset about same - how can you complain? Rules can't be any more clear - Wear it or prepare your resume. You don't have to like the rules, agree with the rules, you have to follow the rules. Welcome to life, have a seat.)

Do I feel qualified to do what I am doing? I'd have to say yes. Now, should I tell my superiors "Hey, I want to slow down my advancement here because I understand this normally takes longer"?

Would you?

It seems that your rapid advancement is based more on that center's needs than your actual talents. Either way, go for it. Who wouldn't? Humility may do you some good though. I have more seniority than you, so in theory, I can transfer to your center and take your job.

As for the goatee, it's a rule, just like the seat belt. Lose it or prepare your resume. "Welcome to life, have a seat".

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
It seems that your rapid advancement is based more on that center's needs than your actual talents.

I'd like to think it was both, plus a little luck and good timing, but whatever...

Either way, go for it. Who wouldn't? Humility may do you some good though...

I think you are confusing humility & confidence. I have learned humility over my life (Heck, I'm over 40 and just starting at UPS, figure it out)

Mike Hawk

It seems that your rapid advancement is based more on that center's needs than your actual talents. Either way, go for it. Who wouldn't? Humility may do you some good though. I have more seniority than you, so in theory, I can transfer to your center and take your job.

As for the goatee, it's a rule, just like the seat belt. Lose it or prepare your resume. "Welcome to life, have a seat".
Not really, you lose your seniority when you transfer.

bellesotico

BOXstar

You know..Benefits has really been a good sport about all the ribbing he's been getting from a lot of us regarding his "fast tracking"..and for that he has really earned a great deal of respect from me. So I'm gonna have to defend him here..not that you are taking a shot at him..but let me just respectfully interject that perhaps his center has advanced him based on their needs AND the fact he has prior experience.
If you've got it Benefits..I say flaunt it!! :)

Goatee and seatbelt analogy..not a fair comparison. Goatee is not safety related. If he has hair on his chin he's not gonna lose his job..lol. He's just gonna stay inside. A seat belt infraction is a major no no..but..I would like to point out that there are some centers that haven't termd drivers on that offense.

gostillerz

I wasn't being serious. I was trying to be the cranky old school union guy. Hell, who wouldn't take a driving job the second it was offered?

H

hseofpayne

I worked 5 of the longest years of my life on the preload.We had to walk 10 miles uphill both ways in the sand to get to work back then! None of the damn trailers would jack in the morning, always pushing pkgs uphill out of trailers. All the floors were solid concrete. And to top it off, we had no heat! Todays preloaders are coddled! There were some guys who took a shortcut thru part-time supervision and then took one of the off road posistions. That theory doesn't work as well anymore because of greater ratio of inside to outside hires.