Current Flavor of the Month?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The bid driver is not UPS and "arrangements" are not "methods"! Working smarter is driving the allotted miles to give the allotted service.

Yeah, you're right--it makes so much more sense to drive 20 miles round trip for nothing. Meanwhile, Dilli could probably get 10-20 stops off in that time.

This pickup needs to be converted to a Smart pickup.

I Have Spoken

Steve, get off your high horse--you don't have what it takes to stay in the saddle.

Overpaid Union Thug

If people would just do their jobs by the methods instead of cutting corners to satisfy their own selfish need to get off early it would be harder for management to implement these "flavor of the week" metrics.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If people would just do their jobs by the methods instead of cutting corners to satisfy their own selfish need to get off early it would be harder for management to implement these "flavor of the week" metrics.

Cutting corners to me implies not taking care of the customer. Calling a pickup at the customer's request is not cutting corners. Calling all of your pickup customers is cutting corners. Not making the alternate delivery attempt is cutting corners.

Working smarter, not harder is not cutting corners.

Overpaid Union Thug

Cutting corners to me implies not taking care of the customer. Calling a pickup at the customer's request is not cutting corners. Calling all of your pickup customers is cutting corners. Not making the alternate delivery attempt is cutting corners.

Working smarter, not harder is not cutting corners.

Not following a method implies....well....not following a method. There is no middle ground. It's damn near impossible to follow them all throughout the day but missing one of the many methods and purposely avoiding them to get done earlier is too different things. If a driver choses to make a habit out of ignoring methods and management knows then how could that driver expect them to go to bat for them over a concern or even an accident? But yeah....working smarter is the way to go but not following the methods is not working smart.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The bid driver is not UPS and "arrangements" are not "methods"! Working smarter is driving the allotted miles to give the allotted service.

Yeah, you're right--it makes so much more sense to drive 20 miles round trip for nothing. Meanwhile, Dilli could probably get 10-20 stops off in that time.

This pickup needs to be converted to a Smart pickup.

I Have Spoken

Steve, get off your high horse--you don't have what it takes to stay in the saddle.
It may not make sense to YOU, but you are a DRIVER not a mngr. It makes sense because that is the way they plan your day. When you cut this corner it screws up the planned day, JUST SAYIN....

You're correct that al sides would benefit from the smart pick up account, but until that happens, it's a "scheduled" pick up that must be attempted, and last I read, phone attempts were not a method. No high horse here, YOUR HONOR, just telling it like I see it. If what I say offends you, you have 2 options. Put me in limbo with rod, or just turn the page. I know how troubling it is for you, when people disagree with you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It may not make sense to YOU, but you are a DRIVER not a mngr. It makes sense because that is the way they plan your day. When you cut this corner it screws up the planned day, JUST SAYIN....

You're correct that al sides would benefit from the smart pick up account, but until that happens, it's a "scheduled" pick up that must be attempted, and last I read, phone attempts were not a method. No high horse here, YOUR HONOR, just telling it like I see it. If what I say offends you, you have 2 options. Put me in limbo with rod, or just turn the page. I know how troubling it is for you, when people disagree with you.

I think it is probably more about the possibility that UpState takes this same shortcut himself and would have to admit to us, and more so to himself, that he might be doing something that isn't kosher.
We all know that isn't going to happen.
I'll pose all of you shortcut artists a hypothetical situation.
What do think will happen the first time one of these "phone call pickups" that you "make" and stop complete in your DIAD as if you really went there, calls in to report a missed pickup?
Happened for real here, where I'm at.
The guy who answered the phone thought there wasn't anything, meanwhile the manager had a nextday letter to go out on his desk.
By the time the right hand knew what the left was doing it was too late, the manager called the center.
Guess what happened next....
Bingo!!!! The driver is in the hot seat for falsifying records.
That my friends is not working smart, it's cheating the system and the customer.
Do yourself and everybody a favor and stop thinking and just execute.
If you want to think for a living, submit your letter and expand your tie collection.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bubbles, my route is in the city. I have 26 daily pickups that I go to every day. I do not call them as they are paying for a daily pickup. When I first took over this area several of the pickups were using the sign system. I walked in, handed them the sign, telling them they would no longer need this as I would be stopping daily.

My answer was in response to the OP who said that the pickup customer requested that he call before driving out to the stop.

The best solution IMO would be to convert this pickup to a Smart pickup.

Steve, what you say does not trouble me. I often find it amusing, a break from the more serious discussion---Brown Cafe lite. It is when you try to join this serious discussion that you are in uncharted waters. Brotha.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubbles, my route is in the city. I have 26 daily pickups that I go to every day. I do not call them as they are paying for a daily pickup. When I first took over this area several of the pickups were using the sign system. I walked in, handed them the sign, telling them they would no longer need this as I would be stopping daily.

My answer was in response to the OP who said that the pickup customer requested that he call before driving out to the stop.

The best solution IMO would be to convert this pickup to a Smart pickup.

Steve, what you say does not trouble me. I often find it amusing, a break from the more serious discussion---Brown Cafe lite. It is when you try to join this serious discussion that you are in uncharted waters. Brotha.
I think it's wise that you physically stop at all 26 of your pickups. Equally so that you discouraged the sign in the window. That's where you lose me though. Whether the customer is good with the sign system, or conversely a phone call, UPS isn't and it would seem you know that from your own practices. So why would you encourage and support your friend Dilli in her questionable methods?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It simply makes no sense to me for Dilli to drive 20 miles or so round trip for nothing. As long as the customer requests that the driver on that area call to avoid a wasted trip. You are right, it could very well be that if she were to call and talk to one person who says they have nothing going only to have another person in the middle of processing a package that has to go out today. I would be leery as a cover driver in making that call but if I were the bid driver on that area I would do what I could to change that pickup to a Smart pickup thereby taking that call out of my hands. I guess it has been so long since I have been on a country run but I just don't see the sense in driving 20 miles RT for nothing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What, are you grumpy lately???
Lately?

It simply makes no sense to me for Dilli to drive 20 miles or so round trip for nothing. As long as the customer requests that the driver on that area call to avoid a wasted trip. You are right, it could very well be that if she were to call and talk to one person who says they have nothing going only to have another person in the middle of processing a package that has to go out today. I would be leery as a cover driver in making that call but if I were the bid driver on that area I would do what I could to change that pickup to a Smart pickup thereby taking that call out of my hands. I guess it has been so long since I have been on a country run but I just don't see the sense in driving 20 miles RT for nothing.
But you actually never answer the question of doing the methods. Sounds pretty "serious" to me, Brothah! BTW, your attempt at insulting me is the equivalent of your, "I'm Out" and grammar instructions to other poster's, they all make for a good laugh.:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, the method is driving the 20 miles round trip to make the pickup. I would not be agreeing with Dilli if it was the bid driver who had suggested making the phone call. It was the pickup customer who suggested that they call before heading out to make the pickup and, yes, if I can save 20 miles I would do it.

This pickup needs to be converted to a Smart pickup so that the driver does not put him/herself in to a situation they don't want to be in.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Yes, the method is driving the 20 miles round trip to make the pickup. I would not be agreeing with Dilli if it was the bid driver who had suggested making the phone call. It was the pickup customer who suggested that they call before heading out to make the pickup and, yes, if I can save 20 miles I would do it.

This pickup needs to be converted to a Smart pickup so that the driver does not put him/herself in to a situation they don't want to be in.
Funny, look who's on their damn high horse now, making decisions that aren't theirs to make. You better get out while you're behind.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Damn sure is a lot of assuming going on around here. I do (as in going to that customer and checking to see if they have any thing going out) whatever pick ups I have assigned to me on any given day. I don't call pick up customers unless it is necessary. If a customer asks me a specific request then I will do my best to take care of that customers request. If I have a problem with the customers request then I will resolve it. IF my OR has a problem with what I do then that IS between him and I. As far as falsifying records, if I don't go to a pick up for what ever reason I don't close it out. I have never been called on this either. Let's throw another scenario into the mix. Wed, one of my picks ups said they would be closed thurs and fri. Still go there? Nope. Thurs, one pick up said they wouldn't have anything going out friday. Still go there? Nope. I don't and I won't waste my time doing it.

Cutting corners to get off early? What's your definition of early. Mine is getting off in 8 hours which, by the way, did not happen one day last week. 1 day was just (barely) under 9.5. 2 days were just over 9.5 and 2 days were over 10.5. The theory on cutting corners to get off early does NOT apply to everyone nor to every rte.

Stephen, look who's commenting on who's being grumpy? I was just recently asked my a member in good standing here what your problem has been lately. You know, there's an old saying that's been around for ever. When you point a finger at someone there are 3 fingers pointing back at yourself. Just sayin........................................

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

If it had been the bid driver that suggested it I wouldn't have done it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Damn sure is a lot of assuming going on around here. I do (as in going to that customer and checking to see if they have any thing going out) whatever pick ups I have assigned to me on any given day. I don't call pick up customers unless it is necessary. If a customer asks me a specific request then I will do my best to take care of that customers request. If I have a problem with the customers request then I will resolve it. IF my OR has a problem with what I do then that IS between him and I. As far as falsifying records, if I don't go to a pick up for what ever reason I don't close it out. I have never been called on this either. Let's throw another scenario into the mix. Wed, one of my picks ups said they would be closed thurs and fri. Still go there? Nope. Thurs, one pick up said they wouldn't have anything going out friday. Still go there? Nope. I don't and I won't waste my time doing it.

Cutting corners to get off early? What's your definition of early. Mine is getting off in 8 hours which, by the way, did not happen one day last week. 1 day was just (barely) under 9.5. 2 days were just over 9.5 and 2 days were over 10.5. The theory on cutting corners to get off early does NOT apply to everyone nor to every rte.

Stephen, look who's commenting on who's being grumpy? I was just recently asked my a member in good standing here what your problem has been lately. You know, there's an old saying that's been around for ever. When you point a finger at someone there are 3 fingers pointing back at yourself. Just sayin........................................

In regards to the highlighted quote in red, I commend you.
Very smart to handle it this way.
Takes the falsifying records claim out of the mix.
That being said, I'm sticking with, if it's an assigned pickup in my pickup log, then I go there and make a physical attempt and record it accordingly in the DIAD.
No exceptions.
I had a Walgreens close on my route and repeatedly requested that the pickup be removed from my log.
The back door was almost entirely covered in delivery notices by the time the OMS got around to removing it.
CYA, because nobody else will.