Customer Complaint because I did not speak Spanish!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Except, you don't get to make decidions at UPS. Only work as instructed. We are not smart enough to make decisions. We are just a bunch of stupid, overpaid truck drivers!!

You just contradicted yourself. In your replies to me you said that I should not "make my own rules" and that you would make a second and, if needed, a third attempt, yet here you are agreeing with BBH, who was in agreement with me that it is a "unsafe work environment" and that the pkg would be go on will call.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I recall going to the bank a few years ago. A man was next in line and came up to the counter. He handed a dollar to the teller and ask for " quarta ". She didnt understand, of course he was asking for quarters. The older gentlemen became enraged by this, obvious in body tone, and face plamed and shook his head. As if it was the poor girl behind the counters fault. She was noticeablly affected by it, which kind've upset me inside. I'm all for broading your horizons for this purpose, but ignorance of others takes its toll.

I'm all for stopping any other language, at the work place, other then english. I told someone this during a smoke break and they said I was a racists. The reason why, as I told him, was do you know what they are saying? He said no. Well, they could be saying anything they wish about you, about me or anyone. They could be saying racists things about you, and you would never know it. They could be putting you down right to your face, and you would never know it. Communication is very important in all things. Understanding yet; is what enables.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Usually when "Spanish speaking" customers are getting a delivery that is COD, they have the money order on hand already for the correct amount. I've had very few problems with those types of deliveries.

In this situation, I would not re attempt delivery. Seemed to be a "unsafe work enviornment". They can come pick up their stuff from now on.

what would happen in my center is that i'd have to get another driver to come way off HIS area to do MY job,and that is not an option for me. The center management team isnt going to stand behind an hourly and make a customer come in and get his package, espeically one who has called in Corporate Complaints............. aint gonna happen

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

what would happen in my center is that i'd have to get another driver to come way off HIS area to do MY job,and that is not an option for me. The center management team isnt going to stand behind an hourly and make a customer come in and get his package, espeically one who has called in Corporate Complaints............. aint gonna happen

My center manager would stand up for us, especially if the corporate complaints had not merit, and would put the pkg on will call.

tarbar66

I thought there were only "Concerns" or have they become complaints?

My 2 cents on the situation would be speak "English or go back to He**!" and then call the police!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I thought there were only "Concerns" or have they become complaints?

My 2 cents on the situation would be speak "English or go back to He**!" and then call the police!

i'm old ,I still refer to them as complaints.And I leave Delivery Notices as well =)

Where do you work again???
images

thessalonian13

I was delivering a Mobile Home park yesterday that isnt on my route but is part of the weekly Slash Routes that is Monday and had a COD. The consignee came to the door and reached for the package,i told her no, i had to collect a COD and it had to be certified funds. She became agitated and spoke rapid fire spanish,and pointed again at package. I told her again what was required and she got MAD. She yelled to the back of the Mobile home,and a guy came up speaking really fast and while i didnt understand him i could tell he was pissed off. I told him it was COD,certified funds,and he put his finger in my face,and they BOTH yelled at me but I kept a smile on my face the whole time

It was time to go,so i filled out an info notice and said i'd be back tomorrow. The guy was calling me names like poota and kaybrawn or something like that. I'm sure he wasnt telling me happy birthday

Got in this morning and had 3 Corporate complaints saying that i 'refused to speak spanish' with them( you cant make this stuff up) ,they were demanding in the future to have a Spanish speaking driver deliver to them and they complained that i wouldnt take cash( this one got me stymied,maybe they understood me but couldnt speak, who knows??)

Once start time rolled around my supervisor asked me about it,and i told him i speak english but NO spanish, sorry. I then asked him how i could improve the situation the next time i had a COD for them, maybe if he spoke Spanish he could come ride with me!
He had no answer other than to get to work
I am Greek.. Starting monday I DEMAND THAT MY MANAGEMENT TEAM SPEAKS TO ME IN GREEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they don't, I will have to retain a lawyer who only speaks Chinese.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You just contradicted yourself. In your replies to me you said that I should not "make my own rules" and that you would make a second and, if needed, a third attempt, yet here you are agreeing with BBH, who was in agreement with me that it is a "unsafe work environment" and that the pkg would be go on will call.

How you figure? Methods require 3 attempts. Unless instructed otherwise you make three attempts.