Customer concern

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First the recipient didn't refuse it that's the problem. In The apartment situation I stated that said package has no apt number or letter on it therefor it looks as if it's addressed to the office. Just because the office says they won't sign for it that person doesn't work here doesn't mean you get to refuse it and send it back.

We have an exception code in the DIAD just for this situation--Non Delivery, Need Apt Number. If there is a phone number on the pkg I will call. I had this happen on Friday---had a delivery to an apt complex with Apt 15 as the address. The only problem was the apts only go to 14. I called and it turns out she gave the wrong apt number--it should have been 14--delivery completed.

There is no exception code for the situation at the marina other than refused or NSP.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There are other options---UPS Store, MBE, hold for pickup.

As I said, I personally do not agree with the policy as I think they should accept them as a service to their customers but I don't make policy--I follow it.

Actually I just pictured you staring at your computer with some evil laugh while we all debate some policy 99.9% of us will never have to deal with. Haha

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you. I can't believe we're up to 5 pages of people moaning about the sorry state of our customer service over this.

I disagree--there has been good, clean discussion on a situation most of us don't deal with on a daily basis.

To cach and Over---you both make some excellent points that are hard to disagree with; however, when I walk in to a business with a package and they tell me that they refuse to accept delivery the package is sheeted as refused and brought back to the center to be RTS'd. The consignee can track the package and make arrangements accordingly. I did my job--I attempted the delivery as addressed. Are you saying that I should go back the next day with the same package only to be told that they refuse to sign for it again? And I should do this for a 3rd day? Don't you think that might piss off the customer that I have to deal with on a daily basis?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Think of it as a really wet apartment building. How many address' does it have? 123 Marina dr, slip 1, slip 2, slip3 ,etc. Just a thought, does the post office deliver mail to the marina that might be addressed to a boater? Do they toss it in a bin for the boater renting their slip or do they refuse that too?

Where is your mind at??? :rofl::rofl:

Uh..........on the side of common sense and customer service? .................................................
I was :rofl::rofl: because of your typo.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
UpstateNYUPSer;' said:
We have an exception code in the DIAD just for this situation--Non Delivery, Need Apt Number. If there is a phone number on the pkg I will call. I had this happen on Friday---had a delivery to an apt complex with Apt 15 as the address. The only problem was the apts only go to 14. I called and it turns out she gave the wrong apt number--it should have been 14--delivery completed.

There is no exception code for the situation at the marina other than
refused or NSP.

And not that I really care doesn't affect me but as I stated I would of used NSP. At least give them a chance to come pick it up at the building instead of it automatically getting sent back.

kingOFchester

NR1, Upon return to building or next day I would ask sup what I should do with the package, then work as directed.

Pretty simple. UPS doesn't pay me to think.

If you really want to CYA, then send a message what you are doing with the package stating "as per sup XXX I am (insert direction) package for xxx at xxxx Main street"

yeldarb

At a construction site where I can't get the reviewer to come to my truck, and the general will not sign, as I am waiting, I will sort my car and if still no one, I will put on will call. I will not go walking around a construction site looking for a guy in "a green shirt" when a hard hat is required, and its not fair to ups and the driver to expect them to deal with the package again.

kingOFchester

NR is reserved for call tags but I get your point.

Did not know that. Good to know, however I have used it before on packages without being questioned. Arrive at business, receiver not there and no one willing to sign, nr1 and return later. Not saying this is correct, just something I have used without question up to this point.

So if you can't use NR1, use NI1 as they are not in the marina at the time of delivery.

CAFAL

attachment.php

Posted policy, yes. Outside their rights with the package, yes. Their sign should say "will refuse to sign". I can tell you if I was renting a slip and I was out when a box showed up and it was refused I'd be up the marina employee's ass as well as the drivers if it was refused. If the marina guy wanted to toss the delivery notice at me and say " I ain't signing for this, :censored2:" that's within his right. I'll make arrangements. But to refuse something that's not his to do so is another story.
Did anyone consider that the boater had no idea the package was coming? GrandMa sends packages to boaters as well as apartment renters too. So now the marina and the driver are going to send it back without the boater being given a chance to make any arrangements? Yea, I'd probably call in a concern too. In that case I'd bet they tell Upstate to make three attempts.

Their sign should say? The sign doesn't. It says what it says. You can't tell the marina what their policy as should be any more than telling ups what their policy should be. It is what it is

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
At a construction site where I can't get the reviewer to come to my truck, and the general will not sign, as I am waiting, I will sort my car and if still no one, I will put on will call. I will not go walking around a construction site looking for a guy in "a green shirt" when a hard hat is required, and its not fair to ups and the driver to expect them to deal with the package again.
I think you hit upon the right answer. Very good! That covers all the bases. Customer gets the opportunity to get the package, the marina doesn't have to sign for it. That's a win/win. Damn, wish I had thought of that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have several construction sites on campus and established with the foremen a delivery point with SDN's. I also don't walk around construction sites.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did not know that. Good to know, however I have used it before on packages without being questioned. Arrive at business, receiver not there and no one willing to sign, nr1 and return later. Not saying this is correct, just something I have used without question up to this point.

So if you can't use NR1, use NI1 as they are not in the marina at the time of delivery.

Why would I use NI1 when the receiver is standing right in front of me? The onus is on the consignee, not me, to make the proper arrangements prior to placing their order.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No one has yet to make the comparison to campgrounds with an office. Do all deliveries go to the office or do you drive around to each campsite? I guess the answer would depend upon the policy of that campground.

I disagree--there has been good, clean discussion on a situation most of us don't deal with on a daily basis.

To cach and Over---you both make some excellent points that are hard to disagree with; however, when I walk in to a business with a package and they tell me that they refuse to accept delivery the package is sheeted as refused and brought back to the center to be RTS'd. The consignee can track the package and make arrangements accordingly. I did my job--I attempted the delivery as addressed. Are you saying that I should go back the next day with the same package only to be told that they refuse to sign for it again? And I should do this for a 3rd day? Don't you think that might piss off the customer that I have to deal with on a daily basis?

Hey, I'd be right with you on not taking the box for a ride three days in a row. However I would make the service attempt for the customer. That's why I said put the marina number on the box and let the clerk handle it from there. But I also think you know better that the guy behind the counter doesn't have the right to RTS the pkg only to refuse to sign. You're not tossing it to the clerk is where I find fault.
I don't know what kind of backwards assed marina that is but if they charge anything remotely like what marinas I do have experience with charge then at the very friend'ing least they should take a delivery notice from you and stick it on my boat.

Those that can't grasp the idea of a rented space be it an apartment or a boat slip being the same are beyond my help.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The slips are very expensive so I agree it would be good customer service to extend the courtesy to accept packages.

When we (drivers) bring back packages with exception codes the clerk does not blindly RTS them---she will do research and RTS as a last resort; however, in the case of this marina, there is really no option for her than to RTS them (unless the consignee makes other arrangements).