Customer concern

The driver did follow established UPS procedure. He went to the delivery address, sheeted the package and handed the DIAD to the customer, who then asked who it was for. When the driver told him the customer refused to accept delivery. The package was sheeted refused and brought back to the center for the clerk to process.

Not necessarily you, D. BUT wth, :censored2: refuses to sign. "Hey, :censored2:, do me a solid so I don't get hassled by this DF customer who isn't as smart as us (both share a hearty laugh) and give me his phone number or mailing address and I'll have my clerk send him a postcard telling him what a DF he is."
Probably wouldn't have taken any longer than taking that pic and you'd have CYA down the line with the customer and UPS for going above and beyond by making an attempt at service by getting the clerk said info.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Cach - I have a customer (business) that uses an address (he has warehouse space here) where his office used to be. For the longest time Larry the barber would sign for his pkgs. Then they had a falling out because Bill got pissy with Larry when Larry didn't call him and let him know that he had a pkg. I attempted to deliver a pkg one day and Larry told me that he is no longer accepting pkgs for Bill. Bill has since gotten a box at the UPS store and I still get pkgs on occasion addressed to Bills 'warehouse'. Sooooo, what do I do? Now I have no love loss for Bill, they guy gives me the heeebie jeeebies, but I still have to consider customer service. If I catch it in the morning before I leave I hand it off to the driver that delivers to the UPS store. If not it comes back at the end of the day for an address correction. That's customer service.

The point is, I think most of us will do what we can to service the customer. Making a blanket statement about the lack of customer service is unfair. This is one discussion, not the general rule of thumb. Ideally, the most appropriate answer that has been put out there is Will Call. It didn't happen this time. Maybe it will the next time. Don't insinuate that no one cares about customer service. For the most part we ALL GAF.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will add one more comment before going to the movies. I deliver to our college library and noticed I had a package for one of the employees who works there and lives on my area. It was a bag from L.L. Bean. I thought that she would appreciate it if I indirected it there. The receiver signed for it. The next day she came out to meet me and asked me not to do that anymore. She didn't thank for doing what I thought was a favor for her. She told me they weren't allowed to get personal packages there, which is only partially true---they are not allowed to have personal packages addressed there---there are no constraints on having packages indirected there. I apologized to her, told her I thought I was doing her a favor and told her it wouldn't happen again.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I will add one more comment before going to the movies. I deliver to our college library and noticed I had a package for one of the employees who works there and lives on my area. It was a bag from L.L. Bean. I thought that [-]she would appreciate it[/-] it would save me some time if I indirected it there. The receiver signed for it. The next day she came out to meet me and asked me not to do that anymore. She didn't thank for doing what I thought was a favor for her. She told me they weren't allowed to get personal packages there, which is only partially true---they are not allowed to have personal packages addressed there---there are no constraints on having packages indirected there. I apologized to her, told her I thought I was doing her a favor and told her it wouldn't happen again.
ftfy :wink2:

stink219

I received a customer concern yesterday which said that I improperly RTS'd a package. I deliver to a local marina which has a policy of not accepting deliveries for boaters without prior approval. Thursday I had a package for a boater which was promptly RTS'd. I had another one yesterday for the same boater which I also promptly RTS'd. Shortly thereafter I received an ODS asking me to call the center. I did and was told about the concern. I reminded them of the marina policy and the fact that there is a sign placed right behind the checkout counter which clearly spells out their policy. I asked the marina for permission to take a cell phone pic of the sign. They asked me if the boater had given us a hard time, as he had given them a hard time, and I told him that he had and they told me to take the picture, which I did and then sent it to my center manager's cell phone. He downloaded the pic, printed and attached it to the concern. The boater is a Canadian and unfortunately they don't think the rules apply to them while they are here in the States. The concern was closed out as invalid. The evening clerk, who was also shown the pic, told me she would have loved to have RTS'd this package as well.

My point? Not all customer concerns are valid ones and you should provide your mgt team with proof of invalid concerns.
That's not the method. Its based on the customer, not the facility. You should have sheeted it ni3 so the customer had a chance to pick it up at the facility (5 day hold). I feel that you wanted to prove a point to the customer, you put self gratification before all else. Direct sign of a narcissist.

bumped

I am not reading all 11 pages of this, but I do agree on what Dave did. I would have RTS'ed it also.

Its just like having a delivery to a storage facility where the storage facility itself will not sign for peoples packages.

bumped

What about delivering to a hotel for a hotel guest where the front desk doesn't sign for packages for guests. Especially guests that haven't arrived.

bumped

Cach - I have a customer (business) that uses an address (he has warehouse space here) where his office used to be. For the longest time Larry the barber would sign for his pkgs. Then they had a falling out because Bill got pissy with Larry when Larry didn't call him and let him know that he had a pkg. I attempted to deliver a pkg one day and Larry told me that he is no longer accepting pkgs for Bill. Bill has since gotten a box at the UPS store and I still get pkgs on occasion addressed to Bills 'warehouse'. Sooooo, what do I do? Now I have no love loss for Bill, they guy gives me the heeebie jeeebies, but I still have to consider customer service. If I catch it in the morning before I leave I hand it off to the driver that delivers to the UPS store. If not it comes back at the end of the day for an address correction. That's customer service.

The point is, I think most of us will do what we can to service the customer. Making a blanket statement about the lack of customer service is unfair. This is one discussion, not the general rule of thumb. Ideally, the most appropriate answer that has been put out there is Will Call. It didn't happen this time. Maybe it will the next time. Don't insinuate that no one cares about customer service. For the most part we ALL GAF.

This depends in how big your building it. My dispatcher doesn't have the time to make changes to these types of packages. He tells me to sheet as moved.

bumped

NI1, NI2, NI3, that way it gets a 5 day hold.

So you want Dave to go into the marina each day and say, Hey, you still don't want this on day 2 and 3. What an idiot it would make Dave out to be. I wouldn't sheet NI2 or NI3 without making contact with someone. Where do you put the delivery notice?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That's not the method. Its based on the customer, not the facility. You should have sheeted it ni3 so the customer had a chance to pick it up at the facility (5 day hold). I feel that you wanted to prove a point to the customer, you put self gratification before all else. Direct sign of a narcissist.
You can't sheet it NI3 without making 3 attempts. There was no point in making 3 attempts when the response would have been the same, refused to sign by the marina. The most appropriate response would have been Will Call.

CAFAL

Do we still contact the shipper, the real customer, and ask what they want to or can help in doing to make service on that box? I bet they might give half a :censored2: to keep their customer happy, not have to have the box RTS'd, have to reship it or hand out a refund to the customer.

Customer service on all levels folks. Bet everyone would GAF if it was our box. Just because some of us know better doesn't mean we let the others fail.
Most of us would have made prior arrangements before using someone elses address

Most of us would have made prior arrangements before using someone elses address

Where do you see a boater renting a slip that he is staying at any different than an apartment dweller renting an apartment? In both cases their rented place of residence IS their address. The problem here is the person at the front desk.
Prior arrangements , if you know it's coming, absolutely. Now, what's your answer if they didn't have prior knowledge?

bumped

Where do you see a boater renting a slip that he is staying at any different than an apartment dweller renting an apartment? In both cases their rented place of residence IS their address. The problem here is the person at the front desk.
Prior arrangements , if you know it's coming, absolutely. Now, what's your answer if they didn't have prior knowledge?

Is the rented boat slip their residence? The marina seems to be a business.

Just like getting deliveries at a storage facility.

Is the rented boat slip their residence? The marina seems to be a business.

Just like getting deliveries at a storage facility.

An apartment building is a business.

I've seen marinas that have gated entry to rival the fanciest neighborhoods. Million dollar boats in slips that cost more than many folks houses.
And, yes, the slip number is their address the same as an apartment.

stink219

NI1, NI2, NI3, that way it gets a 5 day hold.

So you want Dave to go into the marina each day and say, Hey, you still don't want this on day 2 and 3. What an idiot it would make Dave out to be. I wouldn't sheet NI2 or NI3 without making contact with someone. Where do you put the delivery notice?
Yes, that's what the shipper or receiver is paying for. He could also have called his sup to ask first. Point is, if you read the posting, it doesn't say take all package back. Its allows for making arrangements to be delivered. He gave the customer no chance. I just think he got off on sending it back. I can read this guy like a book. He's been controlled his whole life, sticking it up a customers :censored2: or his self promotion on this site is his only control.

CAFAL

Yes, that's what the shipper or receiver is paying for. He could also have called his sup to ask first. Point is, if you read the posting, it doesn't say take all package back. Its allows for making arrangements to be delivered. He gave the customer no chance. I just think he got off on sending it back. I can read this guy like a book. He's been controlled his whole life, sticking it up a customers :censored2: or his self promotion on this site is his only control.

How about the post where his center manager agreed w what he did. That's the only point that matters