Customer Counter Experiences?

One of the CC guys told me that a lady wanted to ship her dog.
I thought he was pulling my leg. Bit he went into this big story of how ticked off she was. Said she was going to call in a corporate complaint.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I've had three good ones.

The first one I told the other day, but what the heck. A customer had a package that was signature required. Did the 3 attempts, then postcarded it. His week had gone by and the clerk RTSed it as he should. Well 3 days later he came in guns blazing yelling at my counter clerk, so I stepped in (yelling at my guys is a mortal sin in my book). Guy was mad because he was out of town at a funeral and apparently we were supposed to know that and hold it at his convenience. I told him our policy and it was sent back. He could call the shipper and arrange with them the return since I can't reroute it once it had left. He wasn't satisfied so he demanded my employee ID number and a number he could call. I gave him the 1-800 Number and my ID. He proceeded to tell me he was going to get me fired. The whole nine yards. I told him "Understood, since there is nothing else we can do to help, you have a nice day." He stormed out, I called my FT and explained it, he agreed I and the clerk did the right thing, and that was that. The best part was I saw the gentleman last week. I was talking to an old professor of mine and the guy walked past his office. Prof yelled to him saying "Hey **** you have to come in here, I want to introduce you to someone!" We looked at each other like "I know this guy." It clicked and it became awkward fast. My buddy had him last semester and said he's a royal pain in the rear.

Another time a couple came in screaming because a driver apparently knocked so hard on their front door it "Shook our house." They were irate. They said their kids were freaking out and it was terrifying. A little overdramatic IMO. They were foreign, I believe from Somalia. So part of me was thinking the noise kind of frightened them with memories from home. The best part about that was the guy had a concern from 5 stops before that one because "The driver never knocked on our door." That guy couldn't win that day.

And now my personal favorite. A lady came in one night ticked because "YOUR driver was doing donuts at 30MPH, in his truck, in my front yard." Imagine that. A driver with a huge package car, that can barely get into second gear, doing donuts in the lady's yard. A FT went out to look. They measured the tracks, and there was no way it could have been a PC. I enjoyed the entertainment though.

We're lucky that we only have a handful of customers come in every night.

The Milkman

What are some of the experinces folks who have worked the CC had with Customers?

Well I have a few winners......I did not make this stuff up...One day a guy comes in wanting to ship a book in a tissue box....Told him it needs to be in a better box just in case it rips open in transit..Takes it back from me...walks about 10 feet towards the door, turns around, looks at me, drops the box on the floor..then proceeds to jump up and down on it, and says to me.."You're right"!

Had a woman from Staten island come to ship a package. can't remember exactly the details why we at the counter refused to accept it and she storms out grabbing her crotch saying something to the effect that her :censored2: smells better then us after not bathing 3 days and casts a spell on us?? What! Crazy woman...

And the all time Winner in the continental US...I am standing at the register, waiting on a line of folks late afternoon.. Picture this, just off to my left in front of the counter is a column sort of blocking my view..A security guard is standing off to the left because it is nearing closing time. Sometimes people try to sneak in when I locked the door at closing time. Well anyway a few minutes before closing a couple of people come in and are making their label, and I hear a bunch of Mumbling and sort of muted sounds that I could not make out.. Turns out one of the people that was with the others making the labels was somewhat handicapped.. He was moaning and groaning about something. again I was taking care of someone in front of me at the time..Then all of a sudden the Guard yells to me.....we got a problem.. the guy took a dump right on the carpet runner that led to the closed register.. I said WHAT! I am went over and sure enough, the fellow was wearing shorts and splattered the floor and carpet..HELLO!!!!!!!! Called the center to have someone come clean the mess all the while the smell was wafting around to the few remaining customers just before I shut down...Guy needed to go but the counter I was in was just a trailer and the Bathrooms were in the main bldg a couple hundred yards away..I finally dragged the carpet runner outside and threw it over the fence where I believe it sat for a week or two ( on feeder property) before it was removed. Management saw no real need to have someone come up an sanitize the area at the counter that night..So evidence of the action remained I believe till the next day as I left a note to the Morning clerk giving him a heads up on what Happened on my shift... Crap happens as they say...It certainly did for me..LOL

clean hairy

How bad do the Customers get after bad weather and everything is all backed up?
They come wanting to know why their package was not delivered on time?
Customers get mean when they come to pick up in the evening, and the driver is still on their on the route and they cannot pick up that night?
Customers that come in and claim the 800# GUARANTEED I could pick up my item (after putting in the request for will call 10 min prior) but it is on the drivers truck?
Any good stories from any of those scenarios?

oldngray

nowhere special
Customers get mean when they come to pick up in the evening, and the driver is still on their on the route and they cannot pick up that night?
Customers that come in and claim the 800# GUARANTEED I could pick up my item (after putting in the request for will call 10 min prior) but it is on the drivers truck?

You could start another thread for all of the misinformation customers get from the phone center.

clean hairy

I believe there might be a thread for 1-800 misinformation.
Any Customers get upset when trying to examine the contents of the box? Cause when asked what they are shipping they claim they don't know, a "friend gave them the box to ship?"

T

Turdferguson

I believe there might be a thread for 1-800 misinformation.
Any Customers get upset when trying to examine the contents of the box? Cause when asked what they are shipping they claim they don't know, a "friend gave them the box to ship?"
If in description field they put collective glassware most times it's alcohol, if they put machine tool a lot of times its a gun, and had one guy put " cowboy stuff" in description field and it was beer.

T

Turdferguson

Also had a guy try to ship gun powder and got mad as crap when informed that gun powder is considered a hazardous material and can not be shipped over the customer counter . He screamed as he was walking out the door "I guess I'll go shove it in little brass tubes to ship it then." Just waved at him and said " OK we'll be here"

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Oh the weather ones are my favorite.

We had late air just after Christmas. Terrible blizzard hit the airport that flies our air to us. I had a customer come in flipping out saying she paid extra money to have it come next day, blah blah blah. I told her the weather was terrible at the hub and it was unsafe to fly the air up. She says to me "Oh yeah? Is that what happened. What do you think you're a pilot or something?" Just looked at her "Yes ma'am. Actually I am." Her face turned red and she stormed out.

We've had a couple angry that it is still out on the truck. But for the most part they are pretty reasonable.

Most of our customer complaints at the counter come from our idiot OMS who calls customers saying they can pick up their packages when they haven't even arrived yet.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
All i know is that our customer counter has a panic button that blinks a light in the security office that is across the building and rarely staffed. Your pretty much on your own

T

Turdferguson

Had a police drug bust going on out in our customer counter parking lot once. It was a car load of kids trying to pick up a box of weed that one of their brothers had sent to them for a birthday present. While that was going on a transvestite and "her" boyfriend were trying to pick up one of those debit cards that the government sends out to people on assistance. They had no tracking number, but knew that UPS had their package because their friends had gotten their cards already , and kept accusing us of stealing their card.
So since the police were out in the parking lot arresting people they decided that would be a good opportunity to file charges on us for stealing their card. So they mosey on out to the middle of the drug bust, and we can see them pointing at us and getting mad. They police start screaming at them to get out of there shaking their heads as the two of them walk away to the bus stop to go back home.
Their package got up to the counter the next day, and they never came for it. So we sent it back to the shipper.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have been physically assaulted , spat upon , had objects thrown at me , had my life threaten , and my shirt ripped . And these were the nice customers .

Winter 2014 , late airs & the first of the month = a bunch of SSI card holders hanging around the CC all day waiting for the last driver still out to return ( approx 10:30pm ) .
South Boston CC is manned mostly by 1-2 people daily . Many days I never got a lunch break or only a 20 min break ( a air driver covered the counter until he had to leave for his run ) .
You have to do everything yourself ; unload & sort the new stuff , move around yesterday's stuff , move over to the ECS clerk station returns , log on all the computers , empty the drop box out front , always open with a long line of customers , assist the non-tech savvy with the shipping computers ,handle all the drop offs and those that are shipping out , when the driver's return to building postcard anything they leave with you , handle all the address corrections , deal with all the companies that drop off bulk loads , the CC is next to a convention center and a cruise(s) ship dock which only adds to more daily screw ups to deal with .
Some time I had customers fighting over who was to be first in line .
And I had negative input posted to Yelp . It's not my fault that these posters who claim to be mature adults act like spoil children when they don't get there way .

The only two nice things about getting bumped off that job are ( 1 ) I'm not there anymore and (2 ) the new guy did not have a clue on what he was getting into .