Customer Counter Experiences?

T

Turdferguson

I have been physically assaulted , spat upon , had objects thrown at me , had my life threaten , and my shirt ripped . And these were the nice customers .

Winter 2014 , late airs & the first of the month = a bunch of SSI card holders hanging around the CC all day waiting for the last driver still out to return ( approx 10:30pm ) .
South Boston CC is manned mostly by 1-2 people daily . Many days I never got a lunch break or only a 20 min break ( a air driver covered the counter until he had to leave for his run ) .
You have to do everything yourself ; unload & sort the new stuff , move around yesterday's stuff , move over to the ECS clerk station returns , log on all the computers , empty the drop box out front , always open with a long line of customers , assist the non-tech savvy with the shipping computers ,handle all the drop offs and those that are shipping out , when the driver's return to building postcard anything they leave with you , handle all the address corrections , deal with all the companies that drop off bulk loads , the CC is next to a convention center and a cruise(s) ship dock which only adds to more daily screw ups to deal with .
Some time I had customers fighting over who was to be first in line .
And I had negative input posted to Yelp . It's not my fault that these posters who claim to be mature adults act like spoil children when they don't get there way .

The only two nice things about getting bumped off that job are ( 1 ) I'm not there anymore and (2 ) the new guy did not have a clue on what he was getting into .
If someone physically touched me there would be an ass beating coming .....it may be mine,or theirs but someone is taking a whoopin .

rod

Retired 22 years
Back a hundred years ago when I worked the counter-loaded the feeder-washed the trucks- spotted the trucks and cleaned the building I had a guy that would come in a couple of times a week with a half a dozen smaller packages and he would try every trick in the book to get a cheaper rate up to and including lifting up on the bottom of the scale so the package didn't weigh so much.

clean hairy

How about the ones picking up for a Business, and they have nothing to show they have any connection to the Business, and their name is not on it?
Then they get on the phone to their Boss "They don't want to give me the package"
Then, they try to hand you their phone they just sneezed on, cause the Boss wants to talk to you?

T

Turdferguson

How about the ones picking up for a Business, and they have nothing to show they have any connection to the Business, and their name is not on it?
Then they get on the phone to their Boss "They don't want to give me the package"
Then, they try to hand you their phone they just sneezed on, cause the Boss wants to talk to you?
They can email a release on company letter head stating Joe customer is authorized to pick up our package. Don't take verbal release authorization

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Anyone want to check up on their or any Customer Counter ?
It's simple go to your favorite search engine and input this .
UPS Customer Counter at ..................... .
click on the yelp.com info and read the reviews .
Seems no matter where you are all the reviews are the same ; we are the screw ups and everyone else is never wrong .

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have been physically assaulted , spat upon , had objects thrown at me , had my life threaten , and my shirt ripped . And these were the nice customers .

Winter 2014 , late airs & the first of the month = a bunch of SSI card holders hanging around the CC all day waiting for the last driver still out to return ( approx 10:30pm ) .
South Boston CC is manned mostly by 1-2 people daily . Many days I never got a lunch break or only a 20 min break ( a air driver covered the counter until he had to leave for his run ) .
You have to do everything yourself ; unload & sort the new stuff , move around yesterday's stuff , move over to the ECS clerk station returns , log on all the computers , empty the drop box out front , always open with a long line of customers , assist the non-tech savvy with the shipping computers ,handle all the drop offs and those that are shipping out , when the driver's return to building postcard anything they leave with you , handle all the address corrections , deal with all the companies that drop off bulk loads , the CC is next to a convention center and a cruise(s) ship dock which only adds to more daily screw ups to deal with .
Some time I had customers fighting over who was to be first in line .
And I had negative input posted to Yelp . It's not my fault that these posters who claim to be mature adults act like spoil children when they don't get there way .

The only two nice things about getting bumped off that job are ( 1 ) I'm not there anymore and (2 ) the new guy did not have a clue on what he was getting into .
I didn't mind working at the customer counter. Except for that day I made a new friend, the irate lady who was there for four hours and wouldn't leave, even after I took a lunch she was still there. ;>

clean hairy

Ever had a box in the come open in the back, and there was shall we say something which looked like Baby Powder, but was worth many times more?
Or found Booze or other items we cannot ship?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ever had a box in the come open in the back, and there was shall we say something which looked like Baby Powder, but was worth many times more?
yes .
Some years ago there was a beer-of-the-month shipper who used a defunct soap company for their return address .
We had a young lady doing weekly airs to Japan containing her used underwear at $500 a pair .
I have been involved with several packages containing illegal stuff , including driving undercover cops in the back of an air van to raid an address .
Lately people drop off a bunch of air letters, handwritten ASD's , going around the country when the counter is really busy , so no one remembers them , using bogus shipper numbers containing all most legit looking checks . Part of a scam .
We also had a woman who used a fake number to ship a baby stroller to South America according to what she wrote on the ASD. Another one who waited until the counter was jammed full of people before dropping off it .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I didn't mind working at the customer counter. Except for that day I made a new friend, the irate lady who was there for four hours and wouldn't leave, even after I took a lunch she was still there. ;>
Hey Sleeve , Do you remember this ?
I'm leaving the country tomorrow and I need my package now .
Usually something from Amazon .

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a guy bring a blow up doll in an open box to the receiving counter. He said he had received it that day and wanted to return it because it look nothing like the picture of the doll in the ad he had ordered it from. Really?

Fragile

Most of the counters in NYC have security on premises.

IDK if anyone remembers when the iPhone 6 came out but the lines were insane and there were lots of irate customers.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
First I-Phone release .
I was doing same day pickup , ( 7:00-8:00 ) which usually involved around 30 people .
That night the final count was 150+ , some had to come back the next day ( Sat ) .
I was given extra help but they were useless , only one was DIAD trained and LP kept him inside stacking the I-Phones .
Now LP would not send out a phone unless they knew the person was waiting in line , so one of the my helpers was collecting ids to show LP , then someone else would bring out to me the phones , but I couldn't give them the phone because LP still had their ids .
During the wait we had some thunder showers roll thru and people rushed back to their cars until it was over . Then when it passed ran back to get in line , some fights were reported because of this .

When I-Phone 2 came out , I repeatedly asked mgt if they had a plan in place . To which they replied YES . They lied .
Less people than before but still a mess .

F

FrigidAdCorrector

We haven't had drugs. Guns are the bigger issue. People don't do it to ship a handgun to their gang member brother, but to ship it to where they are going hunting or to a family member.
I'm leaving the country tomorrow and I need my package now .
Usually something from Amazon .
I always love when they say "Oh I don't have a tracking number, but it should be in a box about this size" then use their hands to show the approximate size. Ummm, yeah I need more than that.
IDK if anyone remembers when the iPhone 6 came out but the lines were insane and there were lots of irate customers.
When everybody came back we had all the drivers bring in the iPhone boxes. Kept them all in the office stacked by last name. Made the night go so much better, but we still had a line 50 people deep. Which is twice what we normally do in a whole day at the counter.