Customer service issue

trickpony1

On a somewhat related note, how many of you know that UPS has two banks that it uses for payroll? It pays it's East Coast employees from it's West Coast bank and vice versa. The interest that is accrued during the time between the checks being cut and actually deposited can be quite large.

I didn't know that but then I wouldn't doubt it either.
More "cloak and dagger" covert activities from a company that so espouses "honesty and integrity".
Makes me proud......vol (vomiting out loud).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I didn't know that but then I wouldn't doubt it either.
More "cloak and dagger" covert activities from a company that so espouses "honesty and integrity".
Makes me proud......vol (vomiting out loud).

I actually think that it makes a lot of sense and is a great way for them to make money on their money while we are waiting for our money which is actually their money until we cash it and then it becomes our money.
(Sorry, just having a little fun.)

Seriously, it does make a lot of sense for them to do this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

What is wrong with what they are doing. Totally legal. And after a while, it adds up to quite a chunk of change.

Float time is an interesting subject at the financial institutions.

You deposit a check, the bank puts a hold on everything but the first few hundred. You think that money is just sitting around collecting dust? The bank is "holding the funds" in their accounts "on paper" while it clears to protect you from writing funds against the deposit in "case it bounces"

They know its good. They just want to hold on to your money for the next 5 days.

Lotsa things are a bit on the shady side, but all legal.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I understand now, the frustration in dealing with customer service. I'm not sure what you would call the 800# but it sure ain't service.

Two weeks ago I sent my son a check. He goes to school in the afternoon (less than 150 miles away), so I sent it NDA so he would get it in the morning. My son, called me at noon the next day saying he hadn't recvd the check. At 1 when I stopped for lunch I called the 800#. That went well........not. After getting basically nowhere with the CSR, I called my sup and gave him the tracking number. He called Phoenix and at 1:37 they did a location scan on it, I'm guessing they found it in a belt somewhere. Now do you suppose they would get that NDA out to the driver the same day and get it delivered? OHHHH Hell no. They held it until the next day and delivered it. My son called me again at noon (the 2nd day) and said he hadn't gotten yet. He called me 5 mins later to let me know he had just gotten it.

IMO, customer service is not the best there is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand now, the frustration in dealing with customer service. I'm not sure what you would call the 800# but it sure ain't service.

Two weeks ago I sent my son a check. He goes to school in the afternoon (less than 150 miles away), so I sent it NDA so he would get it in the morning. My son, called me at noon the next day saying he hadn't recvd the check. At 1 when I stopped for lunch I called the 800#. That went well........not. After getting basically nowhere with the CSR, I called my sup and gave him the tracking number. He called Phoenix and at 1:37 they did a location scan on it, I'm guessing they found it in a belt somewhere. Now do you suppose they would get that NDA out to the driver the same day and get it delivered? OHHHH Hell no. They held it until the next day and delivered it. My son called me again at noon (the 2nd day) and said he hadn't gotten yet. He called me 5 mins later to let me know he had just gotten it.

None of my business, but maybe next time you can go to his bank and simply deposit the money directly in to his account. That is what I used to do when my daughter was also in college about 2 hours from home.

This is a good reason to be a co-owner of a college students checking account, you can transfer funds from you account to his/hers in seconds (as long as you bank at the same bank).

trickpony1

Trick

What is wrong with what they are doing. Totally legal. And after a while, it adds up to quite a chunk of change.

Float time is an interesting subject at the financial institutions.

You deposit a check, the bank puts a hold on everything but the first few hundred. You think that money is just sitting around collecting dust? The bank is "holding the funds" in their accounts "on paper" while it clears to protect you from writing funds against the deposit in "case it bounces"

They know its good. They just want to hold on to your money for the next 5 days.

Lotsa things are a bit on the shady side, but all legal.

d

Good point. (sarcasm).

I guess it's not any worse than large corporations having term life insurance policys on their executives without said executives, or their familys, knowing anything about the policys. (even more sarcasm).

I can think of only a few other things that we, the employees, could do to completely whore ourselves out to the company. (end sarcasm).

DISCLAIMER: "whore" is not a naughty word in this context. Look it up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
None of my business, but maybe next time you can go to his bank and simply deposit the money directly in to his account. That is what I used to do when my daughter was also in college about 2 hours from home.

That's a good idea, but he doesn't have his own account and I don't trust his father as far as I can spit.

This is a good reason to be a co-owner of a college students checking account, you can transfer funds from you account to his/hers in seconds (as long as you bank at the same bank).

And again another good idea. He needs to do a little more growing up before I would trust him with a checking account. He's a good kid but just not quite ready for that responsiblity.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
UPS customer service would be better if they fired every single human that works in the department, then just took all the phones off the hook.

Nobody would get any answers, but it would be no dififferent from what it is now.

Had a $4,000 COD package delivered last Tuesday. Today still no $$$. Called, on hold for 15 minutes, tranferred to Billing/Accounting, hold for 10 minutes, put on with computer again. They won't connect me direct with anyone who can give an answer (even if it has been sent or not) but will have someone call within 48 hours.

Absolutely the worst.

PhatAzz

It takes 7-10 days to get your money back to you because the company puts all COD funds into high yield short term CD accounts and skims the interest off the top before sending the money to the shipper.

Been doing this for years

I understand the interest accrued is quite a large sum of money.

Do you need a tin foil hat??? How can UPS deposit a check into a UPS account (that draws interest) when that check is made out to someone else? Explain that to me.. how does that work?

PhatAzz

3. I ship big-ticket items COD. Expensive, waiting-for-the-check items. I have never received my funds earlier than a week after the COD delivery. An the method UPS sends the $$$? By the US Post Office. ???????????

So what you're saying is that UPS takes the checks (made out to you) that we collect every day from your custoemrs and then deposits them in a UPS bank account. Then somehow, UPS sends those same checks out to you via the USPS.
You're telling me that the COD checks you receive are made out to your business, from your customers and UPS is depositing those checks. Then UPS magically unendorses those checks and sends those same checks to you via the USPS so you can then deposit in your account?? Is that the process???

In your last post you said "...EXACTLY what they do" Please explain the process so I can understand. The checks you receive from UPS via the USPS? Are they already endorsed and deposited?

I understand there are agreements made with UPS and some customers that will allow UPS to directly deposit the checks into the custoemr's bank account. For this service, UPS charges a percentage to the customer.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
I don't know how to make it more clear -

The check you collect as a driver? UPS deposits into thier account. Then they wait a few days, and send out a check drawn on the UPS account.

I don't know how, I do know why, I think it is awful.

I'm waiting for a $4100 certified check now, was collected last Weds, they say "they may be able to send it out of Friday".

It sucks, and I won't use UPS for my COD again. I will use FedEx, which overnights the actual check they receive the day they receive it.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I don't know how to make it more clear -

The check you collect as a driver? UPS deposits into thier account. Then they wait a few days, and send out a check drawn on the UPS account.

I don't know how, I do know why, I think it is awful.

I'm waiting for a $4100 certified check now, was collected last Weds, they say "they may be able to send it out of Friday".

It sucks, and I won't use UPS for my COD again. I will use FedEx, which overnights the actual check they receive the day they receive it.

The only way UPS could deposit money to their account was back when we collected cash for COD's.

Looks like you learned a lesson the hard way. The handling of COD funds used to be worse. 20-25 years ago it would take at least 3 weeks for the shipper to get their COD money.

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
The answer about C.O.D.'s (you have to search C.O.D.) on the CSCGI on the UPS intranet is the funds are electronically transferred to the shipper 2 days after collection. The CSCGI is what the call centers use as their book of knowledge and its a quick way to get some reliable information. Look on the lower right of the inside.ups homepage at work.