customers opening package before they sign for them?

brownedout

Peak of '08 chose not to go on driveway (or even lawn) after a particulary early ice storm. Day 1. Day 2 Recalled to Center before I got to street/section. Day 3 consignee rips package out of my hands and slams door on me (signature required) He opens door to tell me he's on phone with CSTC and they say he can open package before signing. I inform him I'm on phone with (Local) police department (was); and prepared to file theft charges.

RustyPMcG

Open the box in front of the courier before signing.

Yeah. I don't know any parcel delivery, or even document delivery courier, that'll let you do that. You have to accept the delivery before you can open it.

The only time you're going to get a box open before you sign for it is if set-up is part of the service that's included. For example, "white glove" freight includes bringing the item into the destination, unboxing it, and doing basic set-up functions. Or a local furniture store's in-house delivery.

So it's not just UPS policy that they can't have the package before they sign for it, and they can't open it until they sign for it. USPS, FedEx, Ontrac, Prestige, LaserShip, or any other parcel delivery service or courier service. Telegrams were like that, too.

Don't feel bad about insisting on that signature. And don't let the bullies get to you. They either want the package, or they don't want it. And if there is concealed damage, there are procedures to deal with that, too.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its in your control til they sign for it. Accept or refuse. Their call. You have no way of correcting any problem, its between them and the shipper, if its wrong incorrect or damaged.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
There's at least one place I order from which states this on its website (emphasis mine--and yes, I know 'except' should be 'accept'--the mistake is theirs, I'm cutting and pasting this directly from their site):

Damaged Goods

We do our utmost to ensure your product is packed and delivered safe and sound. On occasion the contents have been abused without signs of distress on the box (dropping, crushing, thrown or kicked). Open the box in front of the courier before signing. If the product looks like it has leaked or damages have resulted from shipping, do not except it! Return the item in its original box so we can assess the problem and put an insurance claim through. We will give you a replacement or your money back promptly. Call, fax or e-mail us of these events immediately!

(btw-most of the stuff I get from them is shipped FedEx, but maybe other shippers similarly admonish their customers)
I hate those shippers. Who do they think they are to boss us around. Hasnt UPS made them aware of our policies when they signed them Up????

rod

Retired 22 years
I hate those shippers. Who do they think they are to boss us around. Hasnt UPS made them aware of our policies when they signed them Up????

I was always my experience that UPS would tell a prospective new customer anything and didn't care how it would affect the driver. Everyone was guaranteed a 9:00 delivery and a 5:00 pickup.