Customers that tick you off when it comes to COD

Scuderia1

I had a COD yesterday with 10 boxes. I went in with one box showed the paperwork and the lady said ok I'll pay. I told her it was $424 and even circled the amount. As I get to the back and unload everything the owner starts opening boxes and saying I already, this is not right and all that bs.

I then advised them that I have to go your not the only store. Finally after 45 min they paid. How can I avoid these situations? Thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jaker

trolling
You waited 45min you are a good man

the moment they open the first box without the COD I would have told them you have to pay me first or I take them all back

Also we are never supposed to let anyone open a COD order without check in hand first and if they need to figure out why a certain amount is owed tell them to call the shipper and you would bring it back the next day

Packmule

Unless there is cause to suspect damage, customers not supposed to open anything before paying or signing. As for foot dragging cod customers, politely pressure them and if they get testy with you, call it UPS policy. Let the company be the bad guy or start providing time allowances and dispatches that work with customers' needs.

Don't unload the boxes which are COD until you have the check in hand. Tell the customer you will be back in an hour or sometime later that day if they are not ready now. Train your customers.

Borderline 9.5

I had a COD yesterday with 10 boxes. I went in with one box showed the paperwork and the lady said ok I'll pay. I told her it was $424 and even circled the amount. As I get to the back and unload everything the owner starts opening boxes and saying I already, this is not right and all that bs.

I then advised them that I have to go your not the only store. Finally after 45 min they paid. How can I avoid these situations? Thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

What did you do for 40 minutes?

Johney

And when your on-road says "What happened yesterday"? And you say "I waited 45 minutes for a COD" You be sure and let us know how that worked out for you.

Rainman

Its all good.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You tell them if it isn't right you will send them back, you can't wait around. If it was the right order, then they give you the check right away, or you leave the boxes without the COD amount with them and bring the COD package back tomorrow. That puts the decision on them, not you. They will make a decision faster that way, as they have little choice in the matter. This doesn't disrespect the consignee, nor does it screw you. It's just the way that business works.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Re-Raise

I got in trouble a long time ago because a business on my route ordered some t-shirts printed up which came in COD.

The owner of the business was a little skeptical about the t-shirt place so he said let's look at them first. He opened the box and said ..these look like crap I want to refuse them.

I thought no problem. The t-shirt guy complained that we owed him the money because we let the guy look at them. Management said he was right and we had to pay a claim for the shirts.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have businesses on my route that regularly pay COD. That's how they prefer to do business.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

A lot of places prefer COD's so they don't need to pay for merchandise until it gets delivered. Most companies have credit and terms of not paying for 30 days or something similar, but a new company or one with bad credit isn't trusted to have those terms, therefore COD's.

oldngray

nowhere special
Also, some types of business (such as those selling knock off clothes) try to operate under the radar so the whole industry is mostly CODs.

Imchar1

Signature required are bad enough but I get it. I don't get COD. I am not a cashier or a collection agent. There's a million ways to pay. This is an unnecessary and time consuming service that should be left between the sender and receiver. UPS ought to discontinue it.

Sir/Maam, I have COD that requires a check or money order in the amount of xxx.xx. Are you ready now or shall I come back at xxxxx.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
When UPS stopped taking cash the number of CODs dropped dramatically so maybe its at least a little daydream for you. Or a wet dream. Which ever works for you.
Just curious....back in the days of paying cash for COD's...if a driver were robbed and that money stolen....did ups hold the driver responsible?