Customers that tick you off when it comes to COD

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
When i first started driving many years ago I got burned on a COD . I ran a training route when i first started driving that was called 'the Gauntlet',and every Rookie started on this route.it was a really Make it or Break It route and one had to bust ones arse to gain seniority . One business knew I was a young kid in a hurry and made a COD out for $70.10 instead of
$700.10. I hadnt made my seniority and paid the difference when teh COD error came in to avoid any negative attention drawn to me(it was a different time at UPS then)

I was only 21, VERY green behind the ears and should have called the police and/or the Union as well as Loss Prevention but at the time i just wanted the problem to GO AWAY. I really needed to make my 30 days.
It was a very good lesson as i have never ever gotten farked over again

QKRSTKR

I had a COD yesterday with 10 boxes. I went in with one box showed the paperwork and the lady said ok I'll pay. I told her it was $424 and even circled the amount. As I get to the back and unload everything the owner starts opening boxes and saying I already, this is not right and all that bs.

I then advised them that I have to go your not the only store. Finally after 45 min they paid. How can I avoid these situations? Thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Was only 1 of the ten cod? If so next time deliver the 9 and keep the cod pkg till next day. You are not required to get a check for entire shipment. Only the packages marked cod. Shippers try and skate past the surcharge per cod package.

oldngray

nowhere special
Was only 1 of the ten cod? If so next time deliver the 9 and keep the cod pkg till next day. You are not required to get a check for entire shipment. Only the packages marked cod. Shippers try and skate past the surcharge per cod package.

If a shipper only puts a COD tag on 1 package they do it at their own risk. If the customer decides to keep the other 9 and refuse the 1 COD the shipper has to eat the loss.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Just curious....back in the days of paying cash for COD's...if a driver were robbed and that money stolen....did ups hold the driver responsible?
i dont think it was known just how much cash drivers walked around with. I had an industrial route and in the 80's it wasnt uncommon at all to collect Seven or Eight Thousand dollars cash in a day.
shortly before UPS stopped taking cash we were instructed to purchase a Cashiers Check with the COD money of we had over $5,000 in collections.
It was often a big comedy trying to get to the bank and back on area so there were no missed pickups

upschuck

A lot of consignees like COD's so there are no surprises at the end of the month when the bills come due. Everything is paid for. Some businesses profit margins are pretty thin.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Don't unload the boxes which are COD until you have the check in hand. Tell the customer you will be back in an hour or sometime later that day if they are not ready now. Train your customers.

I agree with everything but the coming back the same day. One attempt per day. Now if the COD was only on one package, that is the only one that needs a check.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The reason ups still allows CODs is because the charge extra for it. Correct?

Sent using BrownCafe App
We can't charge much for it. I had a cod for $6.28. That would have included the shipping plus whatever the value of the actual item was.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
COD's are like $10 a label.
I have one customer that only gets certified funds' COD's(cashiers check, money orders only)
He won't have the money when I first try to deliver, between 9:30-10:30, but wants to call me when does have it and have one of his drivers to get it from me, "sorry I don't use my phone at work"
Now he either has the money orders when I get there or he puts the packages on will call
remember you're only allowed 2 1/2 minutes per COD

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
COD's are like $10 a label.
I have one customer that only gets certified funds' COD's(cashiers check, money orders only)
He won't have the money when I first try to deliver, between 9:30-10:30, but wants to call me when does have it and have one of his drivers to get it from me, "sorry I don't use my phone at work"
Now he either has the money orders when I get there or he puts the packages on will call
remember you're only allowed 2 1/2 minutes per COD
I have an asian mom and pop store that gets cods almost every day. They literally jog across the floor of the store when I come in and promptly remove the invoice and start going about writing the checks and whatever they do to make sure they want the cod, but it takes at least 5 minutes per COD. If they were screwing around I'd leave but they show they value my time and are just slow.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
I've got a dream COD writer at one of my stops. They get multiple COD's per day. She can write a check as I say it to her. I might spend the time allowed to cool off though.