Customers wanting to open packages before signing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ok so lets go over this scenario... There is a $20,000 painting insured for the full amount, packed in a wooden crate with 2+ inches of packing around all sides, AND with shock detectors on all sides of the crate. When the package gets to the receiver, all the shock detectors are red meaning the crate was mishandled... Do you let the receiver open the crate to see if the painting they just spent $20,000+ on is damaged?

This really happened 2 years ago

Nope. Sheet as missed, bring it back, let the clerk inspect it.

BrownBrokeDown

Ok so lets go over this scenario... There is a $20,000 painting insured for the full amount, packed in a wooden crate with 2+ inches of packing around all sides, AND with shock detectors on all sides of the crate. When the package gets to the receiver, all the shock detectors are red meaning the crate was mishandled... Do you let the receiver open the crate to see if the painting they just spent $20,000+ on is damaged?

UPS policy says no, That companies policy says yes, either way the shipper gets paid more than likely.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

No.
The customer can take a picture of the shock detectors and the condition of the package prior to opening it in case they need to file a claim.
It is not proper procedure for the driver to stand there for half an hour waiting for a signature while they disassemble a crate and evaluate the condition of the contents.
What happens if they take the crate apart and it is slightly damaged? Does the driver put it back in the truck with the crate taken apart? Does he wait even longer while they put the crate back together? What if they do a lousy job putting the crate back together and the painting sustains additional damage as a result?
Either sign for it before opening, or refuse it. End of menu.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

After they,sign for it they,can open it

By The Book

UPS doesnt have to recognize it as UPS isnt involved in it. The supplier says we had a label for the receiver to check receiver didnt check how do we know they aren't lying. They dont give a :censored2: about UPS policies. i have been in warehouseing for a over decade longer than working at UPS it was after i started at UPS that i learned that the receiver is not supposed to open the box and was totally shocked to hear it.
If they didn't give a crap about UPS policies they wouldn't ship their packages with us. The shipper agrees to all shipping policies before their packages leave their warehouse. They just want to have us open, verify, rotate stock, price, stock their crap on the receivers shelves as well. Shippers (extra labels) are just that.

clean hairy

UPS doesnt have to recognize it as UPS isnt involved in it. The supplier says we had a label for the receiver to check receiver didnt check how do we know they aren't lying. They dont give a :censored2: about UPS policies. i have been in warehouseing for a over decade longer than working at UPS it was after i started at UPS that i learned that the receiver is not supposed to open the box and was totally shocked to hear it.
The Shipper cannot try and supercede (sp?) the shipping company policy with their own policy.