Customers wanting to open packages before signing.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had a lady start up a home EBay business on my route a few years back. The first day I delivered to her, she announced to me that (a) "I am running a business here so I am going to have to be your first stop of the day from now on" and (b) "before I accept packages I will be opening and inspecting them with you as my "official witness" so that you can document anything that is broken or missing."

Lets just say she was less than thrilled when I politely informed her that her expectations were going to have to be adjusted.
Those are the funniest.

rod

Retired 22 years
Brand new box, Rod. Clerk takes care of it at night, goes back out the next day.

They never used new boxes at my old center. All they did was tape up the damaged boxes and send them back down the belt. I don't recall ever seeing a new box laying around all the time I worked. That must be a big center thing

PT Car Washer

They never used new boxes at my old center. All they did was tape up the damaged boxes and send them back down the belt. I don't recall ever seeing a new box laying around all the time I worked. That must be a big center thing
The Hub where I work has a stack of unfolded cardboard boxes for rewraps.

Z

ZQXC

New boxes never make it up as far as Minnesota.

ArcherUTR

Imagine going to an Electronics Store, and wanting to rip open the item to check for damage before you pay.
Opening the package before signing might be the same?
Or did I come up with a bad comparison?

I sure as :censored2: sometimes open items before I pay for them. What are they going to do, tell me not to?

ArcherUTR

So lets say the package contains a computer, and its a little beat up.

Are we supposed to stand there while the customer unpacks it, boots it up, installs all the software, and make sure it runs all of the programs before signing?

What about large, assembly-required items like lawn mowers or barbecues? Do we stand there while the customer unpacks the entire thing and makes sure that every single nut and bolt and washer is accounted for?

It has nothing to do with being a dick and everything to do with following the correct procedure for dealing with damages.

I agree that you can can turn your brain off and say no. But at the same time we as drivers are fighting for something much bigger. We are fighting for happy customers and repeat business. On a micro-level, yes it sucks and is inconvenient especially with all the other :censored2: management dumps on us with two faces.

It all depends on the specific situation. Large items like couches or fitness machines, I explain that even if we open it (not to turn on or assemble, just obviously broken) I will not be able to put it back in the box and refuse it, but that I will notate the damage in the remarks. Usually they are understanding and instead I just notate in the remarks column 'damaged' without opening and I driver release to the porch instead of a signature.

If it is signature required always get the signature before opening the package.

Something smaller that can be re-taped I might consider taping it back up and sheeting it as damaged or refused. People are usually pretty cool and appreciative that I slowed down to help them. People who are dicks - it has nothing to do with me or their package - they are just bad at being human beings.

We as driver's are fighting for our jobs, for our pension, for market share, for collective bargaining, and for our families. And it starts with caring about the package and caring about our customers.

Last edited:

clean hairy

I agree that you can can turn your brain off and say no. But at the same time we as drivers are fighting for something much bigger. We are fighting for happy customers and repeat business. On a micro-level, yes it sucks and is inconvenient especially with all the other :censored2: management dumps on us with two faces.

It all depends on the specific situation. Large items like couches or fitness machines, I explain that even if we open it (not to turn on or assemble, just obviously broken) I will not be able to put it back in the box and refuse it, but that I will notate the damage in the remarks. Usually they are understanding and instead I just notate in the remarks column 'damaged' without opening and I driver release to the porch instead of a signature.

If it is signature required always get the signature before opening the package.

Something smaller that can be re-taped I might consider taping it back up and sheeting it as damaged or refused. People are usually pretty cool and appreciative that I slowed down to help them. People who are dicks - it has nothing to do with me or their package - they are just bad at being human beings.

We as driver's are fighting for our jobs, for our pension, for market share, for collective bargaining, and for our families. And it starts with caring about the package and caring about our customers.
How do couches get delivered by Drivers, they are oversize and should have to go by the freight division?
Or, am I mistaken, as they cannot be shipped at a counter, can't even get a quote when the dimensions are larger than the max.
Is there something I am mising here, by chance?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

I had one tonight, box beat to heck, the guy politely asked if he could inspect it, so I said yes, had been retaped multiple times, BBI aka fingerhut. No packing, he told me it was an aluminum trash can. Last one was all bent, so was this one. Had the pkg been pristine, no way, but............happy customer, dont have to deal with return.

I remember way back when they just used straps, and gave chinzy little gifts that always fell out. Buy a 49.00 trash can and pay only 5 bucks a month, forever!!!

ArcherUTR

How do couches get delivered by Drivers, they are oversize and should have to go by the freight division?
Or, am I mistaken, as they cannot be shipped at a counter, can't even get a quote when the dimensions are larger than the max.
Is there something I am mising here, by chance?

Whatever you just said x my brain hurting X UPS X 3rd floor apartment delivery

ArcherUTR

I had one tonight, box beat to heck, the guy politely asked if he could inspect it, so I said yes, had been retaped multiple times, BBI aka fingerhut. No packing, he told me it was an aluminum trash can. Last one was all bent, so was this one. Had the pkg been pristine, no way, but............happy customer, dont have to deal with return.

I remember way back when they just used straps, and gave chinzy little gifts that always fell out. Buy a 49.00 trash can and pay only 5 bucks a month, forever!!!

and I'm hurting to read words on this post as well. I'm libated. I'm out.

oldngray

nowhere special

Fingerhut?