Da Gym

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I just came from taking a tour of our local Planet Fitness. There was a wide range of age groups and fitness levels. They have all of the machines that I would ever need. The employee who gave me the tour asked me what my goals were and said that they would work with me to design a fitness plan to work toward those goals. $10/month, $29 set up fee and $39 annual membership fee for a one year commitment. I am going to think about it but am leaning toward pulling the trigger.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I just came from taking a tour of our local Planet Fitness. There was a wide range of age groups and fitness levels. They have all of the machines that I would ever need. The employee who gave me the tour asked me what my goals were and said that they would work with me to design a fitness plan to work toward those goals. $10/month, $29 set up fee and $39 annual membership fee for a one year commitment. I am going to think about it but am leaning toward pulling the trigger.

Just mail me the $200 and save yourself the hassle.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not trying to be a know it all ass but machines can lock your body into an unnatural plane and actually cause injuries for many ppl.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not trying to be a know it all ass but machines can lock your body into an unnatural plane and actually cause injuries for many ppl.

I was talking about treadmills and stair climbers. During the tour I noticed one of the members was climbing up sideways (right side toward top) on the stair climber. When I asked the employee giving me the tour about this he said that she was most likely working her glutes.

Also @UpstateNYUPSer what time will you be going?

If it's 3-7 pm is advise against a big mega gym.

It will be in the mornings as my new shift is 1-9:45 pm. I took the tour at 10 am and the gym was about half full. There was a chart with the membership application packet which listed their hours and how busy they usually are during each of those hours. The mornings when most people are at work were listed as moderate.

The 22.3 job that I am starting today (processing internationals) will have little to no physical activity so I am looking to replace my on-road workout with a gym workout.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was talking about treadmills and stair climbers. During the tour I noticed one of the members was climbing up sideways (right side toward top) on the stair climber. When I asked the employee giving me the tour about this he said that she was most likely working her glutes.

It will be in the mornings as my new shift is 1-9:45 pm. I took the tour at 10 am and the gym was about half full. There was a chart with the membership application packet which listed their hours and how busy they usually are during each of those hours. The mornings when most people are at work were listed as moderate.

The 22.3 job that I am starting today (processing internationals) will have little to no physical activity so I am looking to replace my on-road workout with a gym workout.
Do you enjoy any outdoor activities like mountain biking or rock climbing or sports like soccer or basketball you enjoy?

I'm thinking since all you're looking to do is "stay in shape" you can easily do that with something much more fun than spending an hour in the gym every day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Remember that the next time you're admiring your firm and and well defined physique: there's probably some guy (besides yourself) undressing you with his eyes in that wall sized mirror.

There was some joker yesterday at the Y who was spending more time admiring himself flexing in front of a mirror than he was working out. He was also "that guy" who insisted on yelling and screaming every time he lifted a weight. DON"T BE THAT GUY.

oldngray

nowhere special
Do you enjoy any outdoor activities like mountain biking or rock climbing or sports like soccer or basketball you enjoy?

I'm thinking since all you're looking to do is "stay in shape" you can easily do that with something much more fun than spending an hour in the gym every day.

Gym is good in bad weather when you can't do things outside. It gets boring if the gym is all you do though so I prefer doing things outside if possible.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The employee who gave me the tour asked me what my goals were and said that they would work with me to design a fitness plan to work toward those goals.
Don't let that be a selling point. I got a buddy who joined that place, told them his goal was to bulk up a bit, and when he came back and told me what they told him, it was alllll damn wrong. I told him to basically take what they tell him, and do the opposite.