Da Gym

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Don't let that be a selling point. I got a buddy who joined that place, told them his goal was to bulk up a bit, and when he came back and told me what they told him, it was alllll damn wrong. I told him to basically take what they tell him, and do the opposite.
Yeah I'd bet money that less than 1% of the PF workforce has a clue what they are talking about.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Don't let that be a selling point. I got a buddy who joined that place, told them his goal was to bulk up a bit, and when he came back and told me what they told him, it was alllll damn wrong. I told him to basically take what they tell him, and do the opposite.
He should have them teach him how to use all their equipment, and then ignore the rest. Then he should read up/listen to the free podcasts from nutritionists/personal trainers Shawn Stevenson & Jonathan Bailor.

http://sanesolution.com
http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/podcasts/

Hateworkingaspreload

I work preload, usually start 4:10am. I gym @ 12am-closing time which is 1am at 24hour fitness, 2 year membership purchased from Costco for $300 which is worth it imo compared to the $60 membership fee and $39.99/month. No, i don't shower until after my shift.

Brownslave688

You might be right, but another driver at work lost 30lbs in the last year and now has a 6 pack. He's 42. We both follow the same nutritionists who say to cut out starches, grains and sugar and eat real quality food. I've just started eating differently. It's a whole new lifestyle.

6' 0"
So at 6 ft your best case scenario lifting heavy would be about 200 lbs of lean body mass. That would put you at 220 lbs with 10% body fat which is where most abs start to show.

To compare a "body builder" your height would go on stage at close to 300 lbs and 4-5% body fat.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
He should have them teach him how to use all their equipment, and then ignore the rest. Then he should read up/listen to the free podcasts from nutritionists/personal trainers Shawn Stevenson & Jonathan Bailor.

http://sanesolution.com
http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/podcasts/
I've given him a rundown of what I do and told him to figure out something similar. I don't know if that place even has barbells though so he'll have to do benches and stuff on a ridiculous machine. I'd like to be able to go and show him myself but he'd have to have the upgraded membership to have a guest and at that point he might as well just join the one I'm at.

sailfish

Yeah I'd bet money that less than 1% of the PF workforce has a clue what they are talking about.
Those idiots had him doing cardio every single day with his workout. They had him doing sets with 15 freakin' reps. And they had him doing stretches after his lifts. Like my god.

Brownslave688

I've given him a rundown of what I do and told him to figure out something similar. I don't know if that place even has barbells though so he'll have to do benches and stuff on a ridiculous machine. I'd like to be able to go and show him myself but he'd have to have the upgraded membership to have a guest and at that point he might as well just join the one I'm at.
It's amazing the number of machines and such people use. I could give you a hell of a body with nothing more than a barbell, weights, bench and squat rack

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The only barbells I've seen are on the squat rack.

He can start with body weight squats, maybe dead lifts with the large dumbbells if he has to, pullups, maybe planks and/or push-ups.

Brownslave688

image.jpeg

Sorry had to post this here.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Complete the following survey....cuz I'm bored and curious, but mostly bored.

1) Yes two in two different states. I travel 3x a month

2) 4-6 times a week....every week

3) During lunch on weekdays and on weekend mornings

4) During lunch break, I shower there. When travelling, I shower at home when we get there

5) No

6) YMCA at home... Local GYM/Wellness Center when travelling

7) Yes, organized boxing, spinning, other group classes

8) 5:00am to 10:00 pm

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The guy who owns my gym must get his equipment at the sex toy shop. Wtf is this?

Picture0331160756_1_zpsdlgnh5cp.jpg
Chains are great for lifting. The weight dynamicly changes based on where in the range of motion you are. For example, if you throw them over your shoulders and squat you have the full weight at the top, and as you go down the ground takes some of the weight, then it increases again as you go back up.

Brownslave688

Chains are great for lifting. The weight dynamicly changes based on where in the range of motion you are. For example, if you throw them over your shoulders and squat you have the full weight at the top, and as you go down the ground takes some of the weight, then it increases again as you go back up.
Yep chains are considered pretty old school anymore

Bands serve the same purpose and are what most people use now. They cost less and take up way less room and done weigh as much.

sailfish

I see them laying around in different places all the time but I don't think I've ever been there while someone was using them.