damaged package question

NickT916

had my package damaged, filed the claim, they approved. They are shipping the damaged package back to me, and I will get a check by mail, then they said they will pick up the damaged package after 3 days to salvage it or something.

my question is this.

i was going to try and salvage (repair) the damaged package or just keep it damaged or whatever, but why do they need to pick it back up from me? and why are they shipping it back to me to pick it up again?

also, what if i refuse to give them the package back, or what after i cash the check i will be able to take it and get it repaired for the amount im given?

can they force me to give them the damaged package back or they will be forced to reverse the check fees or something?

wisedragonfly

had my package damaged, filed the claim, they approved. They are shipping the damaged package back to me, and I will get a check by mail, then they said they will pick up the damaged package after 3 days to salvage it or something.

my question is this.

i was going to try and salvage (repair) the damaged package or just keep it damaged or whatever, but why do they need to pick it back up from me? and why are they shipping it back to me to pick it up again?

also, what if i refuse to give them the package back, or what after i cash the check i will be able to take it and get it repaired for the amount im given?

can they force me to give them the damaged package back or they will be forced to reverse the check fees or something?

It's always been my understanding that when UPS pays a claim the merchandise becomes the property of UPS.

my question is this.

Don`t make HAVE to take the package back. You won`t like us if we HAVE to take the package back.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you refuse to return the damaged package, UPS will say, "It must not be damaged if you want to keep it."

Unfortunately, you cannot have it both ways. It's either damaged and you want the check, or it is not and we do not need to pay.

That said, I completely understand what you are saying.....

TB

UPSGUY72

First of all you claim didn't get approved if UPS hasn't gotten the package back in the original box. So you say that UPS was already cutting you a check can't be correct. UPS inspects the box and the damaged item to see how the damaged item was packed.

If someone just threw a breakable item in a plain box without proper packing material the claim could get denied and the shipper not UPS could be responsible.

NickT916

well from what i understood, i get a check, then they pick up the package later. They already inspected it and told me my claim was approved.

I can get the money from them, and maybe sell the broken phones and get a couple hundred more for them, or even maybe get them repaired with the UPS money claim.

so thats why i dont want to give it to them, NOT because they didnt inspect it, one phone complete doesnt work, other one works a bit... both phones have watermarks, and they are all red (red = water damage)

if i dont have an option at all, can i experiment on the phones since they already broken, and they can pick them up broken in an experimental form? since they wont be fixing them, but "salvaging" them...

i wouldnt mind having some fun with 2 broken iphones :)

P

pickup

well from what i understood, i get a check, then they pick up the package later. They already inspected it and told me my claim was approved.

I can get the money from them, and maybe sell the broken phones and get a couple hundred more for them, or even maybe get them repaired with the UPS money claim.

so thats why i dont want to give it to them, NOT because they didnt inspect it, one phone complete doesnt work, other one works a bit... both phones have watermarks, and they are all red (red = water damage)

if i dont have an option at all, can i experiment on the phones since they already broken, and they can pick them up broken in an experimental form? since they wont be fixing them, but "salvaging" them...

count your blessings. they could have easily denied the claim and you would keep the phones that you want so desperately. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS will do what is best both for the customer and for the company. I have had damage claims in the past where it was actually cheaper for the customer to get the item repaired and UPS would pay for the repair as opposed to UPS paying for a new item. This is not normally the case. If the item is not able to be repaired, UPS will issue a check and then claim the item. You can't get both the check and be able to keep the item in the hopes of making a few bucks off the deal.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Give the package back or the driver will experiment with you!

NickT916

im a UPS driver and i can care less about damaged packages and if the customer gives it back to me or not. anyways, ill take my chances and see how far i can take this. Ill examine the phones and do some surgery lol. If its broken, its broken....

NickT916

i havent heard back from UPS, nobody told me to ship anything anywhere, and its been couple weeks now, is it safe to say that i can keep my damaged good?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Nick

There is part of your story missing.

We damaged the items in the box. UPS sent you some money.

Was it for the total worth of the items, or just to have it repaired. IF it was for the total insured worth of the items, those items do not, REPEAT do not belong to you. UPS has bought them. They are the property of UPS. And you know what selling something that belongs to someone else is, dont you.

Now, if they paid to have them repaired, (most likely a lesser cost than you insured it for), then you are free to have them repaired. They still belong to you. All we did was give you the money to have them fixed.

So, your answer depends on what UPS gave you, the full amount of the claim, they belong to UPS, or a part of the claim to get the phones fixed. Then they belong to you.

The fact that UPS brought them back to you indicates to me that they paid to have them repaired. But you state that they told you they would pick them up. So from that, it sounds like you got paid for the phones, so they do not belong to you, but belong to UPS.

As far as you "maximizing" your money on this transaction, yeah, thats a nice idea, selling something to UPS claims, then selling it again to someone else. Just because they have not contacted you does not mean they wont.

If it was me, I would write them a letter including the claim number. I would state that the claim has been paid, and you are in possession of the phones that were damaged. And as of this date, you have not been contacted for the return on the damaged phones.

Send it certified mail to the claims address on the letter you got from UPS. I would also make a call to the claims center and write down the time, date, and the service associate you spoke with.

Tell them they have two weeks to pick up the phones, otherwise you can not be responsible for their security past that date.

Allow four weeks after the letter has been delivered, if they do not contact you, then throw them away. You did everything you could to comply. And you sent them notice. And they ignored it.

d

NickT916

well from what i understood was this, they ship me damaged phones, they send me check, they were supposed to pick up iphones after a few days they said. nobody ever came to pick them up, its been almost 2 weeks, im leaving town for 2 weeks, if im back and there is no notice and no voice mails, im selling them and getting more money for them. i waited, they didnt contact me, its not really my fault ? plus i can use the money since UPS has been laying me off for the past few months

beentheredonethat

well from what i understood was this, they ship me damaged phones, they send me check, they were supposed to pick up iphones after a few days they said. nobody ever came to pick them up, its been almost 2 weeks, im leaving town for 2 weeks, if im back and there is no notice and no voice mails, im selling them and getting more money for them. i waited, they didnt contact me, its not really my fault ? plus i can use the money since UPS has been laying me off for the past few months

Nick, you will do whatever you want, and we can't stop you. But, keep in mind, you have an item that is worth money that is now not yours. (You know this, since UPS paid for the damaged product). If you sell something that is not yours, it's theft. Plain and simple. You can rationalize all you want, but it's wrong. I'll get off my soap box now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why didn't you tell us this in the first place? By all means, sell the phones. It is most certainly the right thing to do, especially since UPS has been laying you off for the past few months.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Nick, you been told by several. Do what you want, your a big boy. But dont come posting here when UPS pins your cheeks together.

Life is full of choices, make good ones, and life will smile on you. Make just one bad one, and Bubba will tinkle in your Wheaties just for fun.

Your choice. Also, since you are laid off, I am assuming you are a UPS employee. That would also keep you from ever holding a job at UPS again.

Your call.

d

NickT916

i think more than 40/50 days went by with UPS not calling me not emailing not sending me any type of letters for the pick up, so my best bet is they maybe paid for the damages as repair fees or something. since they wont be picking them up i can do what i please with them, they had long enough time to do what they had to do