Damn!! this license plate, Damn!!

Got my new plates and went outside to put It on, but as I try and screw off the old plate, the two screws won't budge a bit. Phillips head, flat, hammer, and pliers,wd40, the screws will not budge. Called the dealer and going to stop by their tomorrow real quick, he said they are going to have to tap them out and their will be a charge, and I will probably get a new border that goes around the plate since I broke that off trying to unscrew It. These bad boys are corroded In......damnIt! Who else has had this problem?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Got my new plates and went outside to put It on, but as I try and screw off the old plate, the two screws won't budge a bit. Phillips head, flat, hammer, and pliers,wd40, the screws will not budge. Called the dealer and going to stop by their tomorrow real quick, he said they are going to have to tap them out and their will be a charge, and I will probably get a new border that goes around the plate since I broke that off trying to unscrew It. These bad boys are corroded In......damnIt! Who else has had this problem?
Coca Cola is suppose to loosen screws.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2098895_loosen-rusty-bolt-coke.html

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My dad had that problem with an old farm truck many years ago. He held the new plate in place right over the top of the old one, drilled holes thru the 4 corners of both plates, and then screwed the new plate on top of the old one with sheet metal screws. Problem solved.

NI3

Make a nice new slit with Dremel cut off tool and take a big flat head screw driver to the freshly made screw head.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Go to the dealership and get it done right....

....and plan on getting bent over every time you go in there for any sort of real repair work when they realize that you are incapable of unscrewing a license plate. You might as well walk in there wearing a T-shirt with "make me your bitch" emblazoned on the front in bright pink letters.

....and plan on getting bent over every time you go in there for any sort of real repair work when they realize that you are incapable of unscrewing a license plate. You might as well walk in there wearing a T-shirt with "make me your bitch" emblazoned on the front in bright pink letters.
So basically he is your bitch or Bubbleheads.

NI3

Why would you go to the dealer for something so generic like this?

I only go there for things that need their specialty, like getting the ECU flashed. I get oil changes done there too, but I find coupons, so I get it done for a good deal.

P

pickup

Many states consider that border(like the ones with the dealership name on them) on the license plate as obstructing the license plate. You can receive a ticket for that , believe it or not. One such state is New York.

satellitedriver

Really?
If you have to take it to a dealership and pay $80's an hour labor charge, I think you already have one screw loose.

God forbid you ever have a flat tire and have to break loose the lug nuts.

NI3

Many states consider that border(like the ones with the dealership name on them) on the license plate as obstructing the license plate. You can receive a ticket for that , believe it or not. One such state is New York.

Depends on the cover. If it covers the registration tags, that's obvious.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on the cover. If it covers the registration tags, that's obvious.

New York uses registration stickers which are applied to the windshield next to the inspection sticker.

Pickup, license plate borders are not as big of a deal as license plate covers.

Sober, I suggested going to the dealer as the OP said he had tried everything to loosen the bolts. They have the right tools/equipment and it would take them less than 15 minutes. I am willing to pay for something that I do not have the tools or ability to do, which is why I go to Jiffy Lube for minor maintenance.

Go to the dealership and get it done right.

Yeah that's what I did today. All the stuff I tried didn't work.-flat,philips screwdriver,hammer,wd40,pliers, the tech guy said they were corroded In and had to be hammered out while not causing further damage to the screw holes, because I tore the plate a little trying to get them off. $50 charge plus about an hour and 10 minute wait, but bonus, I got a free car wash out of it :happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah that's what I did today. All the stuff I tried didn't work.-flat,philips screwdriver,hammer,wd40,pliers, the tech guy said they were corroded In and had to be hammered out while not causing further damage to the screw holes, because I tore the plate a little trying to get them off. $50 charge plus about an hour and 10 minute wait, but bonus, I got a free car wash out of it :happy2:

Checkmate.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just think its amazing that this topic can muster up 18 posts. It must be a slow news week